check spec for me - photography and occasional gaming use

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If ordering without windows, then you'd need to clean install your own copy, it's understood you know how to do this if you're ordering without windows.

Remember, when buying a windows license through PCS, it's not just the license, it's having windows fully installed and configured for you, and plus also entitles you to ongoing software support which you don't get if you order without windows.

For any new PC, there's a thread here about benchmarks and tests you can run to make sure everything is working optimially

dogbot

Bright Spark
You do not need to know how the mechanics of a car works in order to drive it. The same is true of a computer where to understand the Pro features, you would need to be the equivilant of a garage mechanic. The average user does not need pro.
I have to say that I do not really know what sort of Windows is installed if it is not bought with the computer. However the point is that neither do you. It is far safer to install Windows from scratch although transfering the licence from computer to computer can only be done in a few circumstances.
If you purchase Windows with the computer you are buying a complete working system to the point where you enter your personal data and preferences. Download the drivers from your PCS account for future use.
You are now a happy bunny.

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
If ordering without windows, then you'd need to clean install your own copy, it's understood you know how to do this if you're ordering without windows.

Remember, when buying a windows license through PCS, it's not just the license, it's having windows fully installed and configured for you, and plus also entitles you to ongoing software support which you don't get if you order without windows.

For any new PC, there's a thread here about benchmarks and tests you can run to make sure everything is working optimially

Yes I understand that.

But I've seen threads that seem to suggest.. even though pc comes with windows.. to STILL do a clean install, because this is some sort of pcs testing build and not to be used on delivery.

So I was wondering, why this is and what pcs do to test their systems, just out of interest.

I had a system from them years ago and I think back then they said they did 24hr uptime tests etc to bed parts in.

So would my win 11 pcs system be cool to use out of box, or is a clean install the "best practice" these days?

I've already made a usb of the latest drivers for some peripherals (printer, scanner etc). In preparation.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
even though pc comes with windows.. to STILL do a clean install, because this is some sort of pcs testing build and not to be used on delivery.
No, that's if ordering without windows, it comes with a basic test installation that isn't fully configured. People think they can just license that, but that's not the case, they have to clean install.

That's no relation to if you've ordered with windows, that comes fully configured ready to go out of the box experience.

I've already made a usb of the latest drivers for some peripherals (printer, scanner etc). In preparation.

That's not how you install drivers these days, it's done through windows updates.

But again, if you're ordering with windows, you won't have to do any configuration

Last edited:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast

OOOooohhh!!!

I didn't know that. I tooo have seen the posts about a "test installation" of Windows, and thought I'd have to sign in to my account, to download the Windows I'd bought. How I'd do that I'd kinda thought, not very deeply tbh, would be in a cover note, or in the welcome booklet, or something. I wasn't concerned about it though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OOOooohhh!!!

I didn't know that. I tooo have seen the posts about a "test installation" of Windows, and thought I'd have to sign in to my account, to download the Windows I'd bought. How I'd do that I'd kinda thought, not very deeply tbh, would be in a cover note, or in the welcome booklet, or something. I wasn't concerned about it though.
Yeah, you don't have to worry.

Since you've ordered with windows, yours will come in the OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) where you sign in with your microsoft account, and it sets up your user account, and that's it, all drivers and everything will already be fully configured, so you just start using it and installing whatever you need.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Just to add to this, there may be one or two times you see a post that recommends clean install where someone has even bought Windows. This is only usually recommended as an absolute last resort where someone has bought Windows and not updated properly, deciding to go to search for drivers themselves thinking that they are sorting out what they think is a problem etc. There are a lot of 'fake' or incorrect driver websites out there.

If in doubt, come here and ask.

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
ive been looking at the AIO coolers, and spotted the (as titled) coolers.

what are the differences? they both can cool upto 290w TDP.. (good fit for the new AMD series) but looking at corsairs own specs, the cappellix can shift 75cfm, so would suggest this is the one to go for vs the H150i? (i cant seem to find a side by side review online). i'm not too into lights etc, but do plan on a fractal define 7 XL in my PCS build, (and purchasing a replacement side window)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ive been looking at the AIO coolers, and spotted the (as titled) coolers.

what are the differences? they both can cool upto 290w TDP.. (good fit for the new AMD series) but looking at corsairs own specs, the cappellix can shift 75cfm, so would suggest this is the one to go for vs the H150i? (i cant seem to find a side by side review online). i'm not too into lights etc, but do plan on a fractal define 7 XL in my PCS build, (and purchasing a replacement side window)
They suit different chips, it's not really possible to commend on individual components as they all interelate.

If you post maximum budget and what make and model monitor you're pairing it with and what it's going to be used for, we can offer some advice.

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
hi all, im pulling the trigger on a AM5 build any minute now, i just have a question about motherboards, are there any reccommendations?
i'm struggling to see much between them tbf.

also Re: ram, is there much difference in say 5200, to say 5600 or 5600 to 6000? in the new ddr5 of course. if all other metrics such as size are same? also would more eg double ram, eg 16gb but fast, or using some of that cash to buy 32 but slightly slower, which is preferable?

thanks in advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hi all, im pulling the trigger on a AM5 build any minute now, i just have a question about motherboards, are there any reccommendations?

also Re: ram, is there much difference in say 5200, to say 5600 or 5600 to 6000? in the new ddr5 of course. if all other metrics such as size are same? also would more eg double ram, eg 16gb but fast, or using some of that cash to buy 32 but slightly slower, which is preferable?

thanks in advance.
As above, we can't really discuss individual components as it depends on the full system related to usage scenario and max budget. If you post the full specs you're considering, max budget, what it's used for and what monitor you're pairing it with, we can offer some advice.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

thanks in advance.
I suggest that you read this before pulling the trigger

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
As above, we can't really discuss individual components as it depends on the full system related to usage scenario and max budget. If you post the full specs you're considering, max budget, what it's used for and what monitor you're pairing it with, we can offer some advice.

Hi heres the full spec im looking at :)

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 XL BLACK QUIET TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12 Core CPU (4.7GHz-5.6GHz/76MB CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI (WIFI 6E, DDR5, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
PCS ARGB GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Monitor
MSI 27" Optix G271CQP - 2560 x 1440, 1MS, 165Hz
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
48 HOUR INSURED PALLET DELIVERY TO UK (MON-FRI, INC. HIGHLANDS & ISLANDS)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi heres the full spec im looking at :)

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 XL BLACK QUIET TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12 Core CPU (4.7GHz-5.6GHz/76MB CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI (WIFI 6E, DDR5, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
PCS ARGB GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Monitor
MSI 27" Optix G271CQP - 2560 x 1440, 1MS, 165Hz
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
48 HOUR INSURED PALLET DELIVERY TO UK (MON-FRI, INC. HIGHLANDS & ISLANDS)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Without answering the questions we're not going to be able to help I'm afraid.

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
budget 3.5k (including protections and delivery etc) - and ill be using it on pretty big image files (300mpx images) from scanned inputs) and also occassional gaming (probably microsoft game pass games).

some home video editiing (just stuff from HD / 4k phones). and some scope to perhaps do some video editing in future from more professional cameras (im a image archivist / photo librarian).. thanks