Build time

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So I'm now on my 5th day of pre production.... And my 7th day in total waiting for my new pc.... I know it won't make it go any quicker... But I'm soooo looking forward to it lol. What's the wait been like for other people?

DnBsoldier

Im on my 6th day of Pre Production - Placed my order on friday the 17th... Getting a bit tedious now.. its not even that hard of a custom build its only £500's worth lol!!

Anyone know how long these things usually take?

Last edited:

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
There's me hoping mine would be done in a week. I ordered Friday 24th and it's on processing, 2nd working day at the moment. Did you get an email telling you that they had run out of stock? Out of interest, what type of RAM did you order?

Edit: it's now just gone to pre-production :)

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
There's me hoping mine would be done in a week. I ordered Friday 24th and it's on processing, 2nd working day at the moment. Did you get an email telling you that they had run out of stock? Out of interest, what type of RAM did you order?

Edit: it's now just gone to pre-production :)

Mine went into pre-production today too but 5th working today and ordered last Wednesday... no fair!

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
Mine went into pre-production today too but 5th working today and ordered last Wednesday... no fair!

Maybe my payment just went through faster? :p. How complex is your build? I haven't got a GPU in mine and I've asked for no OS. I think they might install an OS anyway though to make sure it's all ok then take it off again, not sure though

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Maybe my payment just went through faster? :p. How complex is your build? I haven't got a GPU in mine and I've asked for no OS. I think they might install an OS anyway though to make sure it's all ok then take it off again, not sure though

There should have been a drop down box which asked which OS you'll be installing. That OS will likely be semi-installed for you, you'll need to enter your own key and finish the installation yourself.

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
There should have been a drop down box which asked which OS you'll be installing. That OS will likely be semi-installed for you, you'll need to enter your own key and finish the installation yourself.

Yeah there was, I chose No OS. I'll be dual booting Windows 10 and Linux and using Linux as the primary OS, I didn't want to have to pay £80 for Windows as you can download their ISO for free on their website and you get a slightly restricted version of Windows for free.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah there was, I chose No OS. I'll be dual booting Windows 10 and Linux and using Linux as the primary OS, I didn't want to have to pay £80 for Windows as you can download their ISO for free on their website and you get a slightly restricted version of Windows for free.

That's nonsense, downloading an iso from Microsoft will get you an unregistered copy of Windows which will work for 30 days and then stop. You still need a key to activate it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's nonsense, downloading an iso from Microsoft will get you an unregistered copy of Windows which will work for 30 days and then stop. You still need a key to activate it.

Can confirm, it's not free to new users. You will indeed have to pay for a legitimate permanent copy.

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
Can confirm, it's not free to new users. You will indeed have to pay for a legitimate permanent copy.

I'm using Windows 10 without an activation key at the moment in a dual boot with Linux. I've been using it for months with no issues, here's an article to back me up:

[link removed]

EDIT : It might be because I used to have Windows 7 on my laptop years ago, but I've completely formatted the hard drive since then, we shall see when my PC comes if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you had a key for Windows 7 on your laptop then it will have used that. It's hard coded to the motherboard for OEM copies

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
If you had a key for Windows 7 on your laptop then it will have used that. It's hard coded to the motherboard for OEM copies

That's what I thought but my windows 10 isn't activated on my laptop, still works fine though. Oh well, Linux is my primary OS anyway.

Is there a way to find out my old windows 7 key that's potentially stored in the BIOS? Using either Windows 10, Linux or the BIOS menu.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Not directly from the user afaik, but Windows 10 should have the ability to do this automatically, it may be using your key it just won't show you it for some reason.

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
Not directly from the user afaik, but Windows 10 should have the ability to do this automatically, it may be using your key it just won't show you it for some reason.

Ok, I only ask because I would have tried to use it on my new machine to activate Windows 10, if that would work.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
so as a follow up to the start of this thread, my build was finally delivered on the 27th, did take longer than expected but as i was going for one of the new 1070 cards i'm assuming that demand and availability slowed the process down a bit. but as the second poster said, it was awful waiting ...but oh so worth it :)

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Happiness is pressing refresh on Friday afternoon and being rewarded with:

PCS.png