BenQ Monitor Sound Problems

Ccrawley

I am currently using a BenQ GW2260M 21.5inch monitor as a screen for my xBox 360. Despite my best effort, I cannot get the sound to work, whether or not I hook it up to a pair of speakers. Previously, I relayed the sound through a TV that I was replacing with the monitor. Needless to say, I had no desire to keep a cumbersome TV around to act just as a pair of speakers, so now I play games deaf. If someone could help me resolve this situation I would deeply appreciate it, as there is only so long you can role-play deaf characters on video games before it becomes irritating.

kruppsy

Master
What type of cable are you using to connect to the monitor? If using a DVI or VGA cable, I don't think they carry sound? HDMI will, which is why its working for your TV, assuming that's what you use for your TV connection. If your monitor doesn't have HDMI but has 'line in' you could buy and Xbox RCA audio adaptor and an RCA to 3.5mm cable which should do the trick, paired with a DVI/VGA for the visuals....I think?

If you are using HDMI already then I'd check all the on-board monitor settings to see if something needs to be turned on.

What external speakers have you tried? If you tried to connect them to the monitor whilst using a DVI/VGA cable from the Xbox, again, I dont think that would work. They would have to be connected directly to the Xbox in a similar way i described above.

Hopefully someone posts to confirm, but I think Im right.

Ccrawley

Cables

I can use either DVI/VGA or HDMI cables, I have both. I am also using the green-headed cable to connect my speakers. As for what speakers they are, I have no idea. They are just ordinary speakers. I have gone through volume settings on the monitor wherever I can find them and they are all on and maxed out.
I had a VGA cable plugged in and have since replaced it with an HDMI to no effect.

kruppsy

Master
Just had a look at the manual for your monitor. Available here : ftp://supportfiles.benq.eu/monitor/lcd/manuals/gw2260hm/gw2260_en.pdf

Short of checking you have everything plugged into the right sockets (green plug on speakers going into headphone jack, not line in), its not muted and you select the appropriate audio source (select HDMI if using HDMI, 'Auto' may not work) Im not really sure what else to suggest, sounds like it should be working, especially if using a HDMI. Its either faulty or there's an option somewhere. I would run through the manual and just triple check everything.