Audi A3 Turbo Cut Out

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Just wandered if anyone with a German Car has experienced the following and come up with a solution.

I have an Audi A3 Q 2.0 TDI

At full load on a slight uphill climb top gear the turbo cuts out at about 3k. Audi quated me the standard £1.5k repair bill but wouldn't actually tell me what the problem was. I've cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor and seemed to fix the problem but it occurred twice yesterday.

Has anyone else come across this before?

Any help appreciated.

I know its a computer form but i trust you guys more that the motor head. =D

steaky360

I've cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor ...

To be honest, that would have been my first (and only) guess. I have not got great experience with turbo's really so cant be of more help :(.

I guess that standard £1.5K repair bill was for a new turbo/sensors? Or was that to 'investigate and come up with a solution' (aka bodge it)?

kruppsy

Master
Is there any way you can get to see error codes logged on the ECU? On Astras there is a pedal combination on start (i forget it off the top of my head) that brings them up on the lcd mileometer, no idea if Audis have a similar system though, but it may help to give you some probable causes?

steaky360

Is there any way you can get to see error codes logged on the ECU? On Astras there is a pedal combination on start (i forget it off the top of my head) that brings them up on the lcd mileometer, no idea if Audis have a similar system though, but it may help to give you some probable causes?
Astras/Other Vauxhal's maybe?
STEP 1:
Press both the accelerate and brake pedal together
STEP 2:
With both pedals pressed, put your key in the ignition and turn it to position 2, which is the position that switches all auxilary heating on but not the engine
STEP 3:
Once done, the spanner light will start flashing
Source: http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/481861-pedal-test-fault-code-reading-instructions.html

Might be easier to get an error code reader from Amazon/etc if there is one available for your car.

According to here : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/111801-do-you-need-vagcom-read-fault-codes.html You can get a 'cheap eBay cable' and then some program to read the fault codes.

Might be worth investigating that before splashing out on £1.5K repair?

kruppsy

Master
Yea, i wasn't too clear but its a Vauxhall wide tool as far as I know. It all depends on how errors are logged as well. I think some ECU's only record an error code if you get a warning light on the dash, if you havn't had one it may not be stored.

But as steaky says, if a cable is cheap and its easy to do and finds something sensible/related to your problem, it could save you a fair few quids in the end.

On an previous Astra, i had a juddering, stalling problem. Got the error code with the pedal cheat. One of which was related to the EGR Valve. Searched internet for EGR valve problems. Sure enough juddering was mentioned. Bought one and fitted it myself saving god knows how much over a dealer investigating and fitting it. Satisfying.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Thanks for the responses guys, Im going to try some trouble shooting at lunch time.

I'll try the pedal trick and see if it works.

I've also removed the MAF Sensor and will accelerate hard up hill and see if it happens again, if not it the problem will be there somewhere i hope. If not i will look into getting the Code Reader.

I though that the code reader would be a cheep way for the garage to tell me what was wrong to give me a quote but Audi want me to pay £45 before i can get a quote...

Pirates...

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Right,

Ran car without sensor, no turbo
Ran car with sensor connected electrically, no turbo
Ran car with sensor in mechanical position, no turbo
Ran car with cleaned and fully connected sensor, full turbo with no cut out.

So all seems to be fine again

.... .... FOR NOW

x240-wKb.jpg

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Finally got my car sorted everyone, new turbo £1500. Saddly this came out of my desktop fund :(

Perhaps i'll have enough money in time for the GTX800 series