ASUS Rampage III Extreme mobo issues

Sleinous

Author Level
Only detecting 4GB out of 6GB EVERY single morning.

OK so I tried an RMA'd set of RAM modules but the problem persists.
I've tried XMP mode, Manual mode and ASUS memory mode in BIOS, i've tried manually setting voltages, for QPI, DRAM Bus voltage etc, set Mhz to 1600, also enbaled Memory Configuration Protect
I've tried untightening the cooler
I've tried pressing the Go Button straighta fter starting (before post) and this will show me my 6GB again, (this always seems to happen after the pc has warmed up a little).

But the following morning...back to 4GB, so.... what else can it be? Bent pin? Faulty Internal Memory Controller on the CPU? Faulty CMOS Battery?

More info and suggestions by people on this thread: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=177246&st=0

and nothing has worked by the following morning.

I will phone up about this issue in the morning.

Last edited:

steveuk87

Super Star
the mobo has issues detecting RAM i beleive, i think they are trying to roll out a fix, but as for when i cant be sure when its going to happen!

Steve

Sleinous

Author Level
That's what I thought judging by the multitude of people with the same problem, however this always happens in the morning, and pressing the go button will fix it again, but I for one dont wanna have to open the case up every morning to reset memory configs lol... WHat could cause it to be so forgetful? Also morning = cold computer, sure its not a pin not making contact until the parts expand?

Sleinous

Author Level
I had the previous gen XMS3 Tri-DDR3 Corsair 1600Mhz, pack of 3x 2GB, TR3XXXXXX model number now I have the same stuff just newer gen (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9).

steveuk87

Super Star
yeah the corsair has this instability issue!!, did you get it from PCS? if you did maybe rearrange to get the kingston sticks instead?

Steve

Meds

Sleinous,

Please call Tech Support on 0844 499 4000 and they will be able to help you with this problem. There are known issues with the RAM/Motherboard and we are currently waiting on a fix for this.

steveuk87

Super Star
yeah i'm pretty sure they do, put in an RMA and just say you need the kingston Memory sticks or give them a call and say you read it on the forums :) its been in a few on the topics in here so..

Steve

Zeplini

Its a known issue with the Intel X58 chipset and effects the full range of X58 mb's.

we have a few work arounds now so as medley said its best to call our tech support ;)

Sleinous

Author Level
CMOS battery = OK, kept date correct for 5mins while I vacuumed lol.
Now loading bios onto flash drive, will let you know how it goes :p Am I the first here to be trying this? :D

Meds

Am I the first here to be trying this? :D

Our very own guinea pig :p

I'm sure it will be fine, the BIOS update procedure is easy using the EZ Flash tool in the BIOS. Fingers crossed ASUS will have fixed the RAM issue, keep us posted!

Sleinous

Author Level
Right so, I used a different memory stick, and it didnt find it, so instead I just dumped the ROM on the root of my C drive and ran it from there. However, I had an unnpleasant surprise xD Watch how it unfolds and tell me what's odd about it =}

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Psst, the file seems to be 0802 BIOS, =P did ASUS rip you off with a dud? hehe.

EDIT: Picture limit so next 2 are on next post and so on. Sorry about double post.

Last edited:

Meds

It's the same BIOS version.... weird. Who did you speak to in Tech Support? I'm going to test this in Production, will be back shortly!

Sleinous

Author Level
Umm umm now i've forgotten xD Maybe Darren? or Paul? Sorry :(

EDIT: Btw just an update, since I rebooted i'm back to 6GB lool.

EDIT EDIT, it was Wayne :)

Last edited:

Meds

Hehe no worries, I've checked it out. The Call Centre Rep was given the incorrect file from Zeplin - make sure you lay into him on here!

Another BIOS is on it's way (check emails), let us know how you get on.