ASUS® P6X58D-E Chassis QFan

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Not sure if this question has been asked previously. I set up Qfan under CHASSIS FAN in bios which seems to set the fan speeds to 60% (tested using SpeedFan) regardless of whether I choose Standard, Silent or Turbo. I then ran Prime95 for a few minutes to check if the fan speeds increase as the temps go up. I checked PC Probe II and SpeedFan but the speeds do not seem to increase. Any ideas why this might be? Is this a known bug with the Asus boards?

If I plug a fan into the CPU FAN it seems to be able to regulate the fan speeds accordingly.

pengipete

Rising Star
The speed changes with temperature so if your CPU stayed below the temperature at which the Q-fan profile starts to increase the speed, it won't change. I believe the temperature at which the fans turn up to full speed for that board is 70C - what temperatures were you getting when running Prime95? What speeds do you get from those fans with Q-fan enable and disabled - actual numbers rather than percentages?

There are a few of thing to note. Firstly, Speedfan does not work correctly with every motherboard without being configured. Secondly, you can have problems with fan speeds - setting and reporting them - if you use multiple applications so it's possible that having Speedfan running - even if correctly configured - is interfering with Q-fan. Lastly, do the fan actually turn faster - look at them and listen to them. It may simply be that Speedfan is wrong - I know that Speedfan is not able to set individual speeds for fans on that board so it may be averaging out the spin-sppeds.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
The CPU temp is 63C and core Temp on 2 of the cores are 70 and 71 with Prime95.

With Q-fan disabled I get readings of between 1300rpm and 1400rpm and enabled they are around 900 rpm.

I cannot hear the fans speed up with q-fan enabled but when they are disabled there is a slight noticeable increase in noise.