Are these specs good for gaming and some light cad?

Raxel_27

I am Italian and I apologize if the specifications are in my language, I configured the laptop on the site in Italian as I noticed some differences in the price and I wanted it to be as accurate as possible, I would have posted these questions on the forum in the Italian page but I noticed it's not very active.

This computer should serve me as a support for university study (mechanical engineering) and for light gaming, I doubt that even in the next few years I will have to face courses in which I will need to use cad for heavy projects so I don't worry too much about that aspect as much as take classes online, read various exercise files and as mentioned previously play light games (Terraria, minecraft, factorio, I'd like to try CS: GO, Skyrim, etc.)

I hope that the specifications despite being in Italian are clear, I thought of translating them but in order not to make mistakes and make understanding difficult I decided not to do it, the acronyms for the main components remain unchanged between our languages so I hope it is not a big problem, for any clarification I will try to reply as soon as possible, I would like to order a laptop by the end of the day so I would appreciate quick answers, thank you very much again everyone who will take the time to read

the last question I have to ask you about the storage memory if it is better to opt for the sata ssd in description or for a 1 TB nvme for the same price?

As you may have already understood, the budget is a bit of a problem and I can not spend more than 1250 euros, I can reach a maximum of 1400 but I would prefer to keep it low

Telaio e display
Nova Series: widescreen LED 72% NTSC opaco, full HD 15,6" e 144 Hz (1920 x 1080)
Processore (CPU)
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 esa-core (3,6 GHz-4,2 GHz/36 MB CACHE/AM4)
Memoria (RAM)
DDR4 SODIMM Corsair 2666 MHz 16 GB (2 da 8 GB)
Scheda grafica
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 – RAM video 6,0 GB GDDR6 – DirectX® 12.1
1o Unità di archiviazione
SSD PCS 2,5” 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb (520 MB/R, 470 MB/W)
Lettore di schede di memoria
Lettore di schede di memoria micro-SD integrato
Adattatore CA
1 adattatore CA 230 W
Cavo di alimentazione
1 cavo di alimentazione europeo 1 metro (tipo kettle)
Batteria
Batteria agli ioni di litio a 4 celle rimovibile - Serie Nova
Pasta termica
PASTA TERMICA STANDARD PER UN RAFFREDDAMENTO SUFFICIENTE
Scheda audio
2 canali alta def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Scheda di rete wireless
LAN GIGABIT e WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2,4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
Opzioni USB/Thunderbolt
1 PORTA USB 3.2 (tipo C) + 2 PORTE USB 3.2 + 1 PORTA USB 2.0
Lingua tastiera
TASTIERA ITALIANA NOVA SERIES
Sistema operativo
NESSUN SISTEMA OPERATIVO RICHIESTO
Lingua del sistema operativo
Italia/Italia – Lingua italiana
Supporto di ripristino Windows
NESSUN RIPRISTINO RICHIESTO
Software Office
Prova GRATUITA 30 giorni di Microsoft 365® (richiesto sistema operativo)
Antivirus
NESSUN SOFTWARE ANTIVIRUS
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (solo con Windows 10)
Tastiera e mouse
MOUSE TOUCHPAD 2 PULSANTI INTEGRATO
Webcam
WEBCAM HD 1 MP INTEGRATA
Garanzia
Garanzia Oro 3 anni (2 anni Ritiro e reso, 2 anni Ricambi, 3 anni Manodopera)
Telaio
Clevo NH55ADY (6GB RTX-2060, 144Hz N7, Blank KB)
Consegna
3 - 4 GIORNI PER LA SPEDIZIONE IN ITALIA
Tempo di costruzione
Costruzione standard – da 7 a 9 giorni lavorativi
Prezzo: €1.191,00 IVA e consegna incluse

Fede

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I'm italian too, I read you question and I suggest you a different machine. Optimus PRO 15,6" because it has a metal chassis and is thinner.

For engineering study, maybe you have to chose a best CPU. You can see the following configuration.

Cpu: Ryzen 7 4800H
Graphic Card Geforce RTX 2060
Ram 26GB
Hdd Samsung 970 evo plus 500
Thermal paste Artic Extreme

€ 1334

Raxel_27

Hi, I'm italian too, I read you question and I suggest you a different machine. Optimus PRO 15,6" because it has a metal chassis and is thinner.

For engineering study, maybe you have to chose a best CPU. You can see the following configuration.

Ram 26GB

€ 1334
Hard drive: You'd ideally want an M2 drive in there as it is substantially quicker than a traditional SSD

One question: Doe this system need to be a) portable and b) run on battery power for longer periods (ie when in class)? I ask as the Nova is a DTR (desktop replacement) whic utilises desktop CPUs rather than laptop CPUs...as these are substantially more powerful, they will aid you engineering stuff...but, the battery life can be quite poor (maybe 1.5 hours-2 hours max?)
I don't really need it to be portable and I don't intend to run it on battery for long periods, also I'm a really delicate guy for a pc, the one I have is 7/8 years old and still works but the components are very old and for the time it was 600 €, so if that didn' break I don't mind having a plastic chassis.

I don't mind it being bulky or with short battery life, the real concern is if it's enough for cad, since in my third year I'll have a cad course, I'm still in bachelor degree so I don't think it will be with heavy load, I just want a good machine that will stay by my side for the next 5/6 years minimum with good performance

Raxel_27

P.s. I've ordered the configuration, if I don't pay the order just doesn't get processed or do I have to notice via email or something?

Raxel_27

Ram 26GB

€ 1334
I was looking at this configuration and I don't find the 26 GB ram option so I think you meant 16 GB, also if I get rid of the os this configuration go down to 1987 €, so for me this could be affordable, the only thing I'm concerned with is the display, since the nova has 72% NTSC accuracy an the Optimus pro only 45%, are they both good? I'm not a video or photo editor but the display is still pretty important to me

Fede

Bronze Level Poster
I was looking at this configuration and I don't find the 26 GB ram option so I think you meant 16 GB, also if I get rid of the os this configuration go down to 1987 €, so for me this could be affordable, the only thing I'm concerned with is the display, since the nova has 72% NTSC accuracy an the Optimus pro only 45%, are they both good? I'm not a video or photo editor but the display is still pretty important to me
I'm Sorry i meant 16gb. About the display I have same your dubts, maybe It isn't an IPS display.

Raxel_27

I am not a laptop expert so not fully sure on the differences between the 2 NTSC accuracy things (not even fully sure what it actually means)...however, a while ago someone was looing for a laptop and they were saying that the 72% NTSC is the preferred option if watching movies etc on it
Thanks, I'm still thinking I'd like to take mine if I can't find a better option for this price range. Do you know what are there big differencese between the Ryzen 7 4800h and the 5 3600 in terms of cad and gaming? The Ryzen 7 is an 8 cores processor but I really don't know how much of a difference it can be in what I'm interested, do you know any better?

FerrariVie

Super Star
I also don't know if CAD uses lots of cores, but I would say that 6 cores and 12 threads of a desktop CPU on a laptop are going to be a lot more than what most people will have for university anyway :LOL:

If you could stretch your budget, you could go for the 3700x which is a much better CPU (desktop-grade 8 cores / 16 threads) than the 4800H, but that is up to you to decide. The 3600 is one of the most used AMD desktop CPUs on the last couple of years because of its price to performance ratio (y)

On general usage (windows, apps, games) the 3600 will perform better, but for apps that rely a lot on the number of cores/threads, then the 4800H could be a bit better. But you can always upgrade the CPU on the Nova in a few years time, since you like to keep the device for a longer period (just like me).

Raxel_27

I also don't know if CAD uses lots of cores, but I would say that 6 cores and 12 threads of a desktop CPU on a laptop are going to be a lot more than what most people will have for university anyway :LOL:

If you could stretch your budget, you could go for the 3700x which is a much better CPU (desktop-grade 8 cores / 16 threads) than the 4800H, but that is up to you to decide. The 3600 is one of the most used AMD desktop CPUs on the last couple of years because of its price to performance ratio (y)

On general usage (windows, apps, games) the 3600 will perform better, but for apps that rely a lot on the number of cores/threads, then the 4800H could be a bit better. But you can always upgrade the CPU on the Nova in a few years time, since you like to keep the device for a longer period (just like me).
So on the nova model the CPU can be upgraded in the future? If this is the case I'm totally gonna buy it, also there isn't the option for the 3700x but maybe in the future I'll change it myself

Last question, do you know what parts can be upgraded and which not?

FerrariVie

Super Star
So on the nova model the CPU can be upgraded in the future? If this is the case I'm totally gonna buy it, also there isn't the option for the 3700x but maybe in the future I'll change it myself

Last question, do you know what parts can be upgraded and which not?
Yes, it has a desktop CPU and you can upgrade for any other Zen2 CPU with 65W TDP, almost the same way as you would on a desktop PC. The main difference being that the new thermal paste will need to be applied on both CPU and GPU, as they share the same heatpipe for cooling.

Almost everything can be upgraded (M.2 and 2.5" storage drives, 2 RAM modules, CPU, wifi card), apart from the GPU that is soldered to the motherboard. Even the battery is accessible from the outside, so you can easily replace that once it is depleted.

Raxel_27

My bad I thought it was also a Ryzen 5 and didn't even think of it being the Ryzen 7 option
Yes, it has a desktop CPU and you can upgrade for any other Zen2 CPU with 65W TDP, almost the same way as you would on a desktop PC. The main difference being that the new thermal paste will need to be applied on both CPU and GPU, as they share the same heatpipe for cooling.

Almost everything can be upgraded (M.2 and 2.5" storage drives, 2 RAM modules, CPU, wifi card), apart from the GPU that is soldered to the motherboard. Even the battery is accessible from the outside, so you can easily replace that once it is depleted.
If the GPU can't be upgraded should I buy the rtx 2070 with something cheaper that can be upgraded (storage for example)?

FerrariVie

Super Star
If the GPU can't be upgraded should I buy the rtx 2070 with something cheaper that can be upgraded (storage for example)?
That's basically what I did: focused on things that could never be upgraded (GPU) or should not be upgraded because I already had one of the top specs (RAM). For the CPU, I ended up going for the cheap option and will change that in the future (couple of years maybe?). But keep in mind that I don't do any CPU heavy work, so I had no doubts about doing what I did.

For gaming (even AAA), the CPU doesn't matter much if your GPU allows you to have the graphics settings on ultra (PS: I don't play e-sports or anything that requires more than 144 FPS). When the 2070 start to show its age and I need to start gaming on medium, then the CPU will start to make a lot more of a difference and that is the time to upgrade it (y)