Amd vs intel / nvidia vs ati

LDUK

Master Poster
If you buy Intel, then you'll probably always buy intel and vice versa. The same goes for ATI and Nvidia.

You could say your a fanboy, or maybe not.
But what do you use/buy and what made you go with that decision in the first place?

Sweeney47

Been Intel/Nvidia for several years now, mainly due to a poor experience with an ATI card. Whilst 'reasearching' for a new pc I was comparing ATI against Nvidia and ATI seemed to be winning, not only on performance but heat and power. Performance wise it seems to be marginal now that the 400 series is in full swing. Having been using the 8800GTX for a few years and seeing the temps thats pumping out I didn't fancy having another one of those so im now Intel/ATI. Not that heat and power should ever be an issue but if I can keep the PC cooler ill take that thanks :D

Never considered AMD for some reason... maybe because Intel has been brainwashed into me but I havnt had a bad experience with them, don't fix what isn't broken as they say...

yamibone

was intel/nvidia now intel/ati simply because ati has currently the fastest single slot graphics card and I wanted it!

LDUK

Master Poster
Hmmm ok then. A lot of ATI guys on here lol. I'm personally a Intel/Nvidia guy. Intel because I have always had them, and they've always been good to me. Nvidia, because I had an ATI card first, and wasn't too happy with it, so switched to Nvidia a loved it. I'll stay with Nvidia for these reasons:

They are fantastic with Video Editing and the like.
They have good game developer support.
They have awesome technologies included (PhysX, CUDA, 3D etc.)
And I've have a good experience with them in the past.

Gorman

Author Level
Intel as they have the best performing CPU's. Its as simple as that, i had AMD in the past and prefer the architecture of the Intels.

Nvidia as they have a lot of included tech that the competition doesnt like LDUK says. I also like to Fold.

ATI have let me down with several cards in the past and im not a massive fan of catalyst CC. Also the drivers never seem to be finished.

Zeplini

depends on budget. if you want the best i'd always choose Intel/ Nvidia and if i was on tight budget i would be tempted to go Amd/ Ati, up to my last build i had always been amd and committed to the cause, now I've swapped it would after take something very special to make me swap back, but i don't see that coming from amd for a long time if ever

Gorman

Author Level
I dont know if its because they have thrown so much money into their purchase but people tend to take sides and defend them harshly, especially on the GPU front. I totally expect this thread to become a flame war! :D

Sweeney47

Intel or girlfriend/wife... tough call :D

I've personally never understood why people get so fanboi'ed over Nvidia vs ATI or most things for that matter, i tend to just go with whats most logical for me...

Gorman

Author Level
Intel or girlfriend/wife... tough call :D

I've personally never understood why people get so fanboi'ed over Nvidia vs ATI or most things for that matter, i tend to just go with whats most logical for me...

I hope my Mrs never asks me to choose, it probably wouldnt end well for her.

I go with logic too, but if someones just sunk £500 into a gpu and a competitor fanboy comes along saying thats junk, i can imagine the red mist forming.

steveuk87

Super Star
haha Nvidea is clearly better, but i had to be economical gutted aswell cz she went away on holz (the week i got my pc but i had to send it back) so my gaming week became a frustrating fight with my wall lol

Steve

LDUK

Master Poster
Ha ha, all these points are very true.
But thing is, don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I would always wait till I had the money/save for an Nvidia card, rather then get a ATI coz it's cheaper. I'm not saying your choice was bad Steve lol, just, that's the sort of thing I would do.
Fanboys are more of the people that stress and cuss at others just to defend their preferred manufacture. And tend to hate the opposing buyers lol.
Each to their own I say. ATI are cooler cards. There, I've been nice lol.

steveuk87

Super Star
Ha ha, all these points are very true.
But thing is, don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I would always wait till I had the money/save for an Nvidia card, rather then get a ATI coz it's cheaper. I'm not saying your choice was bad Steve lol, just, that's the sort of thing I would do.
Fanboys are more of the people that stress and cuss at others just to defend their preferred manufacture. And tend to hate the opposing buyers lol.
Each to their own I say. ATI are cooler cards. There, I've been nice lol.

Nice 1!! but yeah i've always had AMD/ATi tbh so also i have been loyal to a certain extent! :)

And Gorman we are back on track now happy?

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
Nice 1!! but yeah i've always had AMD/ATi tbh so also i have been loyal to a certain extent! :)

And Gorman we are back on track now happy?

Steve

Good stuff.

Hijack-No.gif