Advice on laptop specs :)

evak2979

Hello all.
I have a very powerful gaming desktop - now I am considering buying a laptop to assist me with my work (senior software developer).
I'm down to customizing the cosmos and the skyfire 3. I'll post the relevant parts alone and explain my dillema.

Cosmos:
Chassis & Display Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 850M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Skyfire:
Chassis & Display SkyFire Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

the rest is the same -
the 870 on the skyfire puts me 200 pounds higher. The skyfire also comes without an IPS.

my dilemmas:
I want a laptop that'll last me, at least on gaming medium settings, for 2 years at least.
I want a laptop with a battery that lasts a while.
I am not sure if IPS vs Matte will make a huge difference.
I am not sure if 200 pounds are worth when I will be mostly using my desktop, and my laptop only on business trips or on holidays for gaming at least.

I like both machines- and I don't know which one to go for. Given my dilemmas, any advice on whether it's not worth it I give the 200 quid more?

Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Fir gaming the gtx 870m is significantly better. Battery is going to be an issue for any gaming laptop.

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Do you want to use the laptop for work? If you'll be running multiple VMs, then you might consider more RAM and upgrading the processor. I believe the i7-4910MQ processor offers all of the relevant Intel technologies to support this.