A couple of questions and seek for advice.

LDUK

Master Poster
So I'm likely to get the GTX 480 when I order my rig, in the plan to get another when games get more demanding in future. Is this a good plan, or would I be better off getting 2 gtx 460s?

Another question is, would the "1010watt quiet 80 plus quad rail PSU" be enough to run two gtx 480s or 460s?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Hello LDUK!

I have a 480 and love it, rumour is 2 x GTX 460 will match one 480 in performance but keep in mind the tesselation etc on the GF104 (460) chip isnt as good as the GF100 (480), it a personal choice thing.

For 2 x 480's i could only recommend the Corsair 1000w minimum.

LDUK

Master Poster
Hello LDUK!

I have a 480 and love it, rumour is 2 x GTX 460 will match one 480 in performance but keep in mind the tesselation etc on the GF104 (460) chip isnt as good as the GF100 (480), it a personal choice thing.

For 2 x 480's i could only recommend the Corsair 1000w minimum.

Oh ok then, thanks. So is the Corsair 1000w better than the other 1010w PSU?

Gorman

Author Level
"better than" is a relative term!!

For the extraordinary requirements the 480's will have as far as ampage go i would go with the Corsair as of the PSU's we sell it is rated the highest for the best price.

LDUK

Master Poster
"better than" is a relative term!!

For the extraordinary requirements the 480's will have as far as ampage go i would go with the Corsair as of the PSU's we sell it is rated the highest for the best price.

In that case, wouldn't it be best if I just spend £20 more and get the 1500w THERMALTAKE PSU?

Gorman

Author Level
Yes you could, although it could be considered overkill for what you have described.

Were all about advising on the best fitting rig for the spec described, £20 is £20, the choice is of course yours!

LDUK

Master Poster
Yes you could, although it could be considered overkill for what you have described.

Were all about advising on the best fitting rig for the spec described, £20 is £20, the choice is of course yours!

Ha ha, over kill indeed. But there is always space for more gtx 480's lol. Thanks a bunch for the help pal.

Gorman

Author Level
wow! triple sli GTX480's? BBQ at your house!!

[video=youtube;ASu3Xw6JM1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASu3Xw6JM1w[/video]

LDUK

Master Poster
wow! triple sli GTX480's? BBQ at your house!!

LOL! That's funny because I always thought eggs start to white at around that temp (65 Degrees C)
Maybe the foil prevented some of that heat. Still, that's one hot GPU. I have a 8800GTS XXX in my current PC (yes, its rather old) and that only peaked at about 40 Degrees C.

steveuk87

Super Star
Gorman you legend!!! that video is awsome shame it didnt cook tho just lost a bet with myself, grr that side always wins!!

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
The original fermi chip GF100 does run hot, i put mine under water.

4568118989_bd0e782514.jpg

Its not unusual for them to reach temps of about 90c under load. Its part of the design though and they are ok to run that hot. With 3 i dont think a few eggs would be a problem, maybe a few sausages and a burger too.

LDUK

Master Poster
The original fermi chip GF100 does run hot, i put mine under water.

Its not unusual for them to reach temps of about 90c under load. Its part of the design though and they are ok to run that hot. With 3 i dont think a few eggs would be a problem, maybe a few sausages and a burger too.
Wait, wait, you have the Original GF100? Ha ha, look, look at how you wrote that.

LDUK

Master Poster
Im missing something here!? :confused:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GTX_400_architecture.html

The newer fermi chip the GF104 runs cooler and is in the GTX 460

Lol, the GTX 480 is a incomplete GF100. The GTX 480 has 1 of the 16 SMs, that the GF100, has disabled. The disabled SM has no affect on the ROPs which are part of a separate functional block, but it does cut down on the shading, texturing, and tessellation capabilities of the card compared to where a full GF100 card would be.
It looked like you said you have the original GF100 lol.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-

Gorman

Author Level
Lol, the GTX 480 is a incomplete GF100. The GTX 480 has 1 of the 16 SMs, that the GF100, has disabled. The disabled SM has no affect on the ROPs which are part of a separate functional block, but it does cut down on the shading, texturing, and tessellation capabilities of the card compared to where a full GF100 card would be.
It looked like you said you have the original GF100 lol.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-

Ah yes of course, but as the GTX480 is the most complete version of GF100 released, its the original in my eyes! The GTX470 / 465 being the even more cut down versions.

I didnt mean i had the prototype!

LDUK

Master Poster
Ha ha lol okay. I didn't think you meant that, it just look like you said that. I love the look of your system though. So organised and clean looking. You should see the state of the one I'm using now lol. I fact, I might take a pic and show you lol.