5950x 90 Degree Under Load?

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
I've been enjoying my new build for about a week, and thoroughly enjoy throwing ultra settings at it, and watching it handle with such ease!

I am concerned, however, at the temperatures my 5950x is hitting. The spec is:

Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
Asus ROG Strix 3090
2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2
1TB Corsair MP600 M.2
64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz
Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular PSU
Corsair H115i Elite Capellix RGB Hydro Series Cooler

Idle temps are circa 45-48 degrees, with coolant temp reporting around 37-39 degrees.

Light load sits between 65-72 degrees

Heavy load see's the CPU sit between 85-90.5 degrees, where it will then thermal throttle.

The coolant temperature does not appear to be rising at all, the highest I've seen this is 41 degrees.

In an effort to try and reduce the thermals, I've now under volted the CPU by -12 across all cores, per

I've tried disabling PBO and Auto Overclocking, with little to no difference.

The radiator is mounted up top, pushing expelling hot air through the rad and out the case, and I can hear the pump noise levels change if I adjust the RPM (so the pump seems to be okay).

I'm yet to perform a stress test and check the AIO pipes to see if I can feel warmth. My understanding these Ryzen CPU's do run hot, but I'm not convinced it should be hitting the critical / thermal limit? Does this sound as though there could be an issue here? Thanks in advance.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Can you check the power draw under full load using Ryzen Master or HWInfo? The PPT value in Watts specifically..... It should be around 132-140W typically.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I'll load Ryzen Master and take a look - thanks
If it is in the 130-140 Watt ballpark - probably showing as a % of 142 W under PPT in Ryzen Master - then I would suggest you have a bad paste job on the cooler as that AIO is more than able to handle that CPU.

If it's more than 142W then we can see if we can find out why....yours isn't an oveclocked machine I assume?

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
If it is in the 130-140 Watt ballpark - probably showing as a % of 142 W under PPT in Ryzen Master - then I would suggest you have a bad paste job on the cooler as that AIO is more than able to handle that CPU.

If it's more than 142W then we can see if we can find out why....yours isn't an oveclocked machine I assume?

Nah this isn't overclocked, and I've updated the BIOS to the latest available stable release, in part to remove PCS branding, but also to allow for resizable bar support.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I've updated the BIOS to the latest available stable release
:eek: Did you ask PCS for permission before you did that?

1620216035909.png

If all is working then you're fine I would imagine - but be careful doing BIOS updates.....

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster

My PPT value shows 395, TDC shows 255 - guess that answers that! Coolant temp 33 degrees.

Untitled-1.jpg

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Auto OC mode has been engaged somehow. Go to Creator mode and select default at the top - and then Apply and Test at the bottom - it may want to reboot you system - if it does wait for RM to restart and check the numbers again.......

It's drawing 185 Watts (47% of 395 - which is the motherboard limit) which still isn't all that much to be honest, so I'm still worried about the paste job. But anyway do the above and repost again with the new numbers!

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Auto OC mode has been engaged somehow. Go to Creator mode and select default at the top - and then Apply and Test at the bottom - it may want to reboot you system - if it does wait for RM to restart and check the numbers again.......

It's drawing 185 Watts (47% of 395 - which is the motherboard limit) which still isn't all that much to be honest, so I'm still worried about the paste job. But anyway do the above and repost again with the new numbers!

I've disabled everything OC / PBO related in the bios, and the temps now look better. Interestingly enough, the CPU temps were sat at around 80-85c at 4600MHz, and then it backed down to below stock, per the screenshot below:

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm not sure why it would reduce the clock speed with the Prime 95 test still running, but hey. Coolant temps went up by 1 degree over the course of 15 minutes, to 35c. I'm hopeful that once the root cause has been determined, I can re-enable PBO2, as this is a nice feature AMD promote themselves and is a selling point of the chip.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Damn, PBO set to disabled, but undervolting left on. Will have another crack after work 👍
Super. Yes go back in - enable PBO and disable the undervolt first - then return PBO to auto and it should be back to full stock operation.

Prime95 is a sneaky thing to be honest - it can stress your system pretty severely even while staying within those PPT, EDC and TDC limits - mostly by playing with the voltage. Perhaps you could try Cinebench R23 for a more standard constant load too - I'd expect to see you staying in the 60's with that temp wise then......

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Super. Yes go back in - enable PBO and disable the undervolt first - then return PBO to auto and it should be back to full stock operation.

Prime95 is a sneaky thing to be honest - it can stress your system pretty severely even while staying within those PPT, EDC and TDC limits - mostly by playing with the voltage. Perhaps you could try Cinebench R23 for a more standard constant load too - I'd expect to see you staying in the 60's with that temp wise then......

Thanks for your input @NoddyPirate I really appreciate it.

I've re-run a benchmark with Cinebench R23, and with PBO enabled (but the frequency not going over stock) the temps look far better:

Untitled-3.jpg

I guess one of the next steps is to try a single core benchmark run, rather than multi-core, and see if I can get PBO to behave. Interestingly I can see multiple references to PBO within different areas of the Asus bios. There may be another question incoming!

Does this rule out a bad thermal paste job?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thanks for your input @NoddyPirate I really appreciate it.

I've re-run a benchmark with Cinebench R23, and with PBO enabled (but the frequency not going over stock) the temps look far better:

View attachment 25848

I guess one of the next steps is to try a single core benchmark run, rather than multi-core, and see if I can get PBO to behave. Interestingly I can see multiple references to PBO within different areas of the Asus bios. There may be another question incoming!

Does this rule out a bad thermal paste job?
Hmmmm - so there is still something wrong with your settings I think. You are only drawing 95 W there and you should sustaining more like 3.9 GHz all core rather than just the base clock speeds.

Give me two seconds to have a poke around my own system here and let me get back to you.......

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
@mossmotorsport - Would you make sure you have set your PBO options - one in AI Tweaker most likely - and the other in AMD Overclocking - to AUTO and not enabled?

If so then select the default profile in RM again and apply it - and reboot your system. It still shows as in PBO mode on your screenshot - so we need to get that back to showing default.

I can't find any PBO setting that would limit you to the base clock of 3.4 GHz - unless something else in BIOS was changed like the BCLK or core ratios and so on - I assume you haven't changed any of those settings? :unsure:

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for this I’ll take a look this evening. I’m starting to wonder if Asus AI Tweak has done more harm than good as part of its automated performance optimisations.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thanks for this I’ll take a look this evening. I’m starting to wonder if Asus AI Tweak has done more harm than good as part of its automated performance optimisations.
It won't do any harm - it's just that it's easy to get some settings working against eachother that's all. Ryzen Master indicates the mode the CPU is operating under so step one would be getting that back to 'default'.

Two other things to double check if you're back in BIOS - see what you 'Core Performance Boost' setting is selected to under 'Extreme Tweaker' and also see what Power Plan you have selected in Windows.

If it still misbehaves later when you try again - let us know and we'll see what else we can think of! :)

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Right-o, here we go, screenshot dump incoming!

Extreme Tweaker has one reference to PBO - Enabled

IMG_3667(1).jpg

Expanding confirms this is now set to enabled (under volting removed from manual menu entry)

IMG_3668(1).jpg

Advanced has another reference to PBO - also set to enabled

IMG_3669(1).jpg

IMG_3670(1).jpg

RM now shows as default (initial launch still shows PTT, but a quick 'reset' from the lower left menu in RM changes this).

Also, all the Asus rubbish has now been removed.

Untitled-4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3671(2).jpg
    IMG_3671(2).jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 205