3070 OC benchmark

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, I'm struggling to find comparison specs for my system (3070 gaming OC and 5600x). Pictures attached. Is there more to be had? I've not yet done anything with the CPU OC..........yet.

I'm considering a GPU upgrade (6950xt and 3080) to get closer to 144fps @1440p. Hogwarts legacy is a bit of a struggle with current setup.

Thanks,
Dylan

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I'm struggling to find comparison specs for my system (3070 gaming OC and 5600x). Pictures attached. Is there more to be had? I've not yet done anything with the CPU OC..........yet.

I'm considering a GPU upgrade (6950xt and 3080) to get closer to 144fps @1440p. Hogwarts legacy is a bit of a struggle with current setup.

Thanks,
Dylan
Hogwarts legacy is broken really on almost any system.

I take it you've optimised settings and aren't trying to run it at max?

Can you copy and paste the specs from your order page, don't do images please

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
Hogwarts legacy is broken really on almost any system.

I take it you've optimised settings and aren't trying to run it at max?
It's quite frustrating but understand it's pushing many different high end systems. Yeah I'm running something custom from the medium settings preset

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
yes I will, sorry the pics I referred to in the first post didnt seem to work - hopefully now attached
PXL_20230423_123743184.jpg
PXL_20230423_125235637.jpg

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

Possibly worth noting Ive changed memory to RGB Elite (same speed) have added a second M.2 NVME (SN850x) removed the sata drive and added a rear exhaust fan

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hogwart’s is poorly optimised, and eats up VRAM. Even my 5800X / 3080Ti takes a beating at (ultra-wide) 3440-1440p, so I play it on the High preset with DLSS Quality to get a smooth 70-80FPS in the open world, and a not very smooth experience once I enter Hogsmeade.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

Possibly worth noting Ive changed memory to RGB Elite (same speed) have added a second M.2 NVME (SN850x) removed the sata drive and added a rear exhaust fan
Which optimised settings did you use in Hogwarts?

Hogwarts basically will swallow GPU VRAM, if it attempts to steal more than the card has, performance will plummet. You have to optimise settings to your GPU

May be worth running through this guide for 1440p with the 3070, if you've got Ray Tracing enabled, and DLSS off or something, that would hugely impact performance and overload the VRAM, but at 1440p you shouldn't really have an issue with the 3070 on properly optimised settings.

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
Which optimised settings did you use in Hogwarts?

Hogwarts basically will swallow GPU VRAM, if it attempts to steal more than the card has, performance will plummet. You have to optimise settings to your GPU

May be worth running through this guide for 1440p with the 3070, if you've got Ray Tracing enabled, and DLSS off or something, that would hugely impact performance and overload the VRAM, but at 1440p you shouldn't really have an issue with the 3070 on properly optimised settings.

Thanks for this, I've optimised and using around 6.5gb of the VRAM now and it feels decent

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for this, I've optimised and using around 6.5gb of the VRAM now and it feels decent
Well done, you e still got some headroom to play with, if you can get it closer to 7.5 that would give you best performance.

It's one of those games that is HOPEFULLY going to have significant performance boosts as big fixes are addressed over time.

I'm like @Steveyg I don't subscribe to this being the new norm requiring so much VRAM, it's just lazy optimisation. All the games that require huge amounts of VRAM also happen to have been tragic messes on release.

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
Funnily enough I did the same optimisation with MW2 and found I was using using almost identical amounts of VRAM! I think AMD have been stoking this fire as it looks for a way to differentiate itself from NVIDIA and make some inroads on the market.

My intention for starting this thread was actually different from where we've ended up (although optimisation has been hugely helpful). I was looking for feedback on my GPU overclock in the afterburner screenshot and my benchmark scores. I think from what we've talked about there's still room to make further gains within the current setup? If this keeps me out of upgrading the GPU for a while longer, I'll be happy.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Best way to check would be to run one of the benchmarks that have millions of uploaded results, and compare it with similar builds.

Something like 3DMark TimeSpy (this benchmark and a few others are free) or PortRoyal benchmarks (not-free, but regularly on offer for a few £££). I paid £9 for the 3DMark, PCMark, and VRMark bundle when they were on offer.

The results also show you what frequency the CPU/GPU were running at during the tests, so you can see if your changes are making a decent improvement or not. For my 3080TI FE, tweaks make negligible difference, so I run it in it's standard config.

Timespy:

PortRoyal:

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
Best way to check would be to run one of the benchmarks that have millions of uploaded results, and compare it with similar builds.

Something like 3DMark TimeSpy (this benchmark and a few others are free) or PortRoyal benchmarks (not-free, but regularly on offer for a few £££). I paid £9 for the 3DMark, PCMark, and VRMark bundle when they were on offer.

The results also show you what frequency the CPU/GPU were running at during the tests, so you can see if your changes are making a decent improvement or not. For my 3080TI FE, tweaks make negligible difference, so I run it in it's standard config.

Timespy:

PortRoyal:
I did try the timespy benchmark yesterday, GPU was in mid 14k which I think is decent but the CPU was low 7k which seemed about 2k below others. I wonder why that is. I've not tried to OC it at all yet, maybe that's the next step

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You would need to share the run, as per what Tony did, for us to be able to assess anything unfortunately.

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
It's saying that the LOD settings in the GPU settings have been altered...not sure what setting does that. Whether it makes any difference or not is debateable.

Your CPU score seems very low compared to Tony's....core frequency of 4.2 vs 4.8. Doubtful that Win 10 vs 11 would make that difference. Especially when I can get a score only 800 less for my 3600
I noticed that LOD setting so have adjusted in the Nvidia control panel. I'm going to check the BIOS to see if the CPU is stuck on an all core OC or if it's throttling up and down dynamically with load

DylBee

Bronze Level Poster
The clock speed of the CPU is certainly better...still lower and the overall CPU result is down. I don't know enough about Timespy to know whether other factors such as RAM, hard drive speed or even Windows comes into play. GPU-wise, I suspect the difference is probably due to the lower clock speeds (likely a difference between the cards in question...different manyfacturer have differing speeds sometimes) as even a small clock speed change can result in quite large performance jumps
Yeah I know, but this is a better base to start tweaking from. I tried to use MSI afterburner to clock to the speeds in tonys settings and none of my games would have it. I'll have to do incremental jumps and test for stability and then benchmark again

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My CPU came locked at an all-core frequency to 4300MHz (i.e. well below the max frequency for my 5800X)...and it was keeping the CPU quite warm. Had to go into BIOS and set them to auto, so they boosted up to 4900MHz as needed.

The benchmark scores above are just from the TimeSpy lookup tool for systems with a 5600X/3070, as I don't think my 5800X/3080Ti scores would be that useful as a comparison ;)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah I know, but this is a better base to start tweaking from. I tried to use MSI afterburner to clock to the speeds in tonys settings and none of my games would have it. I'll have to do incremental jumps and test for stability and then benchmark again
It can be a bit of a silicon lottery as to what your system will allow...along with quality of motherboard, PSU, etc. (of course, I'm not saying anything in your build looks like it is an issue).

I can get a variance of 1-2% on different runs...so unless something looks hugely out I just assume it's some background process running (iCue, Window Defender, Adobe CC, etc.).