Tiny bit concerned about fan speeds - Not the usual complaint!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Can I just say a huge thank you to PCS for building me a pretty epic PC. It arrived yesterday, delivery was great and on time, I pressed the power button and everything switched on perfectly, everything works. It's fast as hell and quiet as anything! I do have one query though.. I was trying to activate my wi-fi as it wasn't detecting anything at all and thought that downloading Asus's Wi-fi GO program might help a bit and maybe let me enable it (turns out I think I just had to plug this funny white antenna in!). In the process of trying this though, I downloaded Asus Suite II which has various tools on it. I tried the Fan Xpert tool out of curiosity and let it tune my fans as to how they should be. Now they're barely on at all.. I did it quite late at night so haven't put it under any stress to test them but I had Steam games downloading all night and I think my fan speed stayed the same throughout.

These temperatures and speeds are from the Asus Suite II program. I'm not sure it this is accurate or reliable but here's what it's saying..

The CPU is currently showing at about 31 degrees
CPU fan spinning at 1400rpm.
Motherboard is showing at 32 degrees.
Front fan spinning at 220rpm.

I just don't get how it can all be so low? Is the software just way off or is it genuinely just running at low temps which isn't requiring any fan use. I assumed the autotuner worked in the sense that the hotter it gets, the more it cranks your fans up as there's a little graph showing what % it'll run at compared to the temp.

Is it purely because I'm not putting it under much stress yet and also maybe that I have quite good airflow? I have the Coolermaster CM690 ii advanced which is HUGE and my hardware isn't really overkill at all which I know the CM690 is suitable for watercooling, etc which could imply that it's aimed more towards the overclocked market?

I don't know though, any help would be great. I'm perfectly happy if my PC is just running as it should be and if the fans will spin faster the hotter it gets, I just don't want to have turned all the settings down if it's going to kill my pc as the stock speed of the fans was pretty quick.

Any help would be great! Cheers.

steaky360

There are a few things to bear in mind here;

The ASUS Suite II program isn't the most accurate program on the planet for temps/fans it basically gives an interface so you can edit the fan curves (as you have said) from Windows as opposed to through the bios.

At 32 degrees I would imagine the fans should be spinning pretty much at their lowest settings, so you wont be having any issues at such low temps.

If you are not putting your PC through any stress (ie if it is basically idling) then it will not get hot (downloading / installing through steam counts as pretty much idling, it wont tax your system enough to push temps up).

I'd check the temps using CoreTemp or something similar and then benchmark your PC to ensure the temps dont go too fast, you should be able to hear the fans spinning faster so wont need to rely on the Asus Suite to tell you the fan speed.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Awesome :) I'll give it a go tonight after work. To be honest, like you said I've only been downloading from Steam since I 'tuned' them and I didn't realise that was effectively idling. I suppose I'm used to my 5 year old laptop where downloading from Steam would leave the laptop useless from all other tasks!

I'll see how it reacts to gaming tonight and go from there. I'm right in thinking they will speed up automatically the hotter it gets right?

steaky360

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, downloading/installing is more taxing than literally doing nothing. But it isn't taxing enough to get your rig toasty :)

Aye, as you push the CPU the fan speed will increase accordingly. As for the case fans if they are plugged into the motherboard then they too will be controlled in a similar fashion. That was something I should have mentioned before, there is a chance the case fans are not directly linked to the motherboard and may be either on full all the time or attached to a fan controller (depending on your setup). You should be able to tell if you take a look tonight though.