RAM Upgrade

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
Well!! I haven't even received my new system yet and I'm asking a question on upgrading the RAM.....does that mean I'm getting into computers or what.
My pc has 8GB (4slots x 2GB), so if I wanted to upgrade the RAM could I go to 12GB (3slots x 4GB) or 16GB (4slots x 4GB)
Do all the slots need to be filled. I think 16GB is the max I can go to with the motherboard I have chosen ASUS P7H57D-v USB 3 & SATA 6GB's
Dave

steveuk87

Super Star
what have you chosen? INTEL or AMD?? AMD has max of 8GB whereas INTEL has 24GB :) and yeah your getting into computers

Steve

LDUK

Master Poster
Well!! I haven't even received my new system yet and I'm asking a question on upgrading the RAM.....does that mean I'm getting into computers or what.
My pc has 8GB (4slots x 2GB), so if I wanted to upgrade the RAM could I go to 12GB (3slots x 4GB) or 16GB (4slots x 4GB)
Do all the slots need to be filled. I think 16GB is the max I can go to with the motherboard I have chosen ASUS P7H57D-v USB 3 & SATA 6GB's
Dave

But you know, 8GB is a decent amount lol.

Meds

8GB will be plenty for now dave, honestly. But if you were looking to upgrade you will need to go for 4 x 4GB as the Motherboard you have supports dual channel memory (the ram modules work in pairs), so having 3 x 4GB wouldn't be advised.

Sleinous

Author Level
8GB will be plenty for now dave, honestly. But if you were looking to upgrade you will need to go for 4 x 4GB as the Motherboard you have supports dual channel memory (the ram modules work in pairs), so having 3 x 4GB wouldn't be advised.

Which (I hasten to add) would cost an absolute BOMB. lol.