Problems with HD7970, World of Warcraft and DX11?

terhil

Having only received my new desktop on Thursday, I've been having issue's playing World of Warcraft. I can't seem to play for longer than 10 minutes and then the GPU crashes with vertical line filling the screen (Various Colours). I have to press the reset button on the Case to restart it has everything locks up.

I have managed to find a quick fix by simply going back to DX9 after reading somewhere that WoW and DX11 don't work well together and AMD are not looking into a fix has its been an issue since drivers 12.4 onwards.

Does anyone else have this issue either with a AMD card or a nVidia card??

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I have read into this problem a bit, and there is nothing anyone can do for you im afraid at the moment; it is a problem with World of Warcraft and the latest patch, conflicting with something in the drivers for the 7970. There is no news on a fix as yet either, but you will probably find that this is the only game that this happens in, suggesting there is something slightly odd in the latest patch that has been added to Warcraft. I havent got the game, but I do like to help a few people out with their gpu problems; this had me stumped. Nothing I could do would alter the crashing, and not just a normal crash either. A hard lock up that required a hard reset/reboot of the pc. Strange, and I made sure it was Warcraft related on their pc by trying out numerous other games and drivers. As a 7970 owner myself; I was sure I could get to the bottom of his problems, but im pretty sure this may be something we cant control. Out of interest, do you have an AMD processor? Sometimes a bios update is needed for them to play nicely with some games, but i fear in this case it wont do a lot. I dont have Wow, so I cant keep testing im sorry to say, but will watch with interest how this gets sorted out.

This is something Blizzard and specifically AMD have to work out. I know its not ideal; but I should think there may be a patch for Warcraft that may address this. The latest beta driver does nothing for it and neither does reverting back to older drivers, thus the problem is in Warcraft itself so to speak. Nvidia owners are having similar problems (in some cases) with the latest Call of Duty Black ops 2. Something in the coding doesnt play nicely with the drivers use of the gpu. Not much can be done about this; keep up with it on the forums and maybe keep trying to inform Blizzard that this is ongoing....something tells me they dont listen too well however. You may want to ask them about the subscription being refunded until they fix it; as you will keep getting the crashes until this is sorted out. Here is a thread for you:
wow...i have problems

terhil

I've tried a fresh install of the drivers, to which I uninstalled the old drivers first with no joy. Switching to DX9 solves the issue which is to me is just confusing. I'll be contacting Blizzard tomorrow asking them why they seem to break the game on every new patch :-/

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll keep you updated with what ever excuse Blizzard come up with :p