Order by performance per item

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
There are a lot of posts on here which people are replying to where building a high spec PC.

Numerous times now there are build specs that include the Kingston v300 SSD disks. Although it does give the throughput in theoretical figures, the performance ratio of these SSD disks is not represented by those numbers. A decent SSD will give around 550 reads and 550 writes in MB/sec. This SSD states around 450 for each. This would suggest that it will have a performance decrease of around 20%. In certain cases, this is incorrect and the Kingston SSD looses performance in many tests online when looking at random read/writes.

Just taking this as an example, it might be worth categorising items in each area as a low/medium/high specification.

Is the standard memory slower than the kingston hyper-x series ?
Is a gforce 770 as good as a Gforce Titan-Z ?

I feel a little bit of classification here will help people out with building their system on the first instance.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Classification of GPUs is subjective, I think, same with ram. Wouldn't that depends on intended use? What would you consider high end gpu? Unless you refer to a different way of categorising items

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The SSD comparison is flawed since Kingston compleatley smashed the V300 series performance. REAL WORLD is now like 120mb/s not 450 for the 120GB drives. They still advertise it as the speeds attainable for the 500GB drives as they can attain that speeds, if your looking online for the 120GB benchmarks you will see much more than a 20% performance drop off.

To answer your question more broadly. The aim of a computer is to have everything in balance. Say you want an ultra fast computer, so you pick everything in the high end bracket. Certain areas would almost certainly not need to be from the high end section. Things like the cooler, motherboard and RAM could easily be picked from the Mid range and offer no performance loss. Everyone uses a computer for slightly different things.

Trying to classify exactly where each branch splits from low to med and med to high would be tricky to say the least. I think the onus is on the customer to do a bit of research when buying a custom rig. It is relatively easy to look up the relative performance of a titan z vs a GTX 770. If not then we are glad to help on the forums as we can take individual requirements and judge based on that.

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
I just think this might help people on the initial build. Or I guess they could use the rule of "if its lower down the list then its more expensive" or something.

D1craig

Enthusiast
I agree with this tbh. The RAM and GPU are easy to check up on. The CPU is a bit less easy but for the like of HDDs and SSDs it is not so easy.

Gpu - what gives best FPs for the games I play. Very easy to find.
RAM - bigger the GB the better. I can't see a difference with th Mhz.

Now my understanding of the next lot is a lot less and tbh it's a hell of a lot more boring To look it up lmao.

HDD - more rpm = better. As far as I can understand. £=performance.
SSD - loads things quicker.

The hard drives have so much more to offer than I have mentioned. But the SSD have 3 big brands that people are unsure as what to pick.

Would it be easy to include a windows performance score for each peice of hardware? Or are all the scores to generic?

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I agree with this tbh. The RAM and GPU are easy to check up on. The CPU is a bit less easy but for the like of HDDs and SSDs it is not so easy.

Gpu - what gives best FPs for the games I play. Very easy to find.
RAM - bigger the GB the better. I can't see a difference with th Mhz.

Now my understanding of the next lot is a lot less and tbh it's a hell of a lot more boring To look it up lmao.

HDD - more rpm = better. As far as I can understand. £=performance.
SSD - loads things quicker.

The hard drives have so much more to offer than I have mentioned. But the SSD have 3 big brands that people are unsure as what to pick.

Would it be easy to include a windows performance score for each peice of hardware? Or are all the scores to generic?

Windows index scores don't say that much and they always change. Basically an SSD is more expensive but reads/writes quicker. And a HDD is good for large amounts of space.

T

TheGeeza

I feel a little bit of classification here will help people out with building their system on the first instance.

I would say that is what the forums are for as you cannot just generalise based on how a certain GPU performs vs another or how 32gb of ram is better than 8gb. Intended uses will differ from person to person.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Just to add to this, if PCS did add a performance per item thing then they'd probably get more complaints. For example, if they said the 770 can run anything on ultra at 60fps, but it couldn't run a few games at those settings then someone would complain that it was misleading or whatever.