NVidia Chipset/Sound card Issues?!

Vortex

Hey guys its me again!

Apologies for not getting back to the forum once the RMA was sorted last time, I like to treasure my time with my PC by gaming instead of posting :p (no hard feelings!).

After a week of the system working fine, today I had two issues flag up rather unexpectedly.

Firstly, I put on some music and had awful sound quality, so I went into sound options (on control panel) and changed the speaker configuration from 5.1 surround to stereo (I have 5.1 speakers but the rear two aren't plugged in). In stereo configuration the sound is fine. Having played about a bit, it seems that when I go to 5.1 or 7.1, the sound is automatically increased and artificially high. On any settings the centre speaker doesn't work at all (this is likely a Logitech issue). Generally, is this likely to be an issue with the sound card? I have the necessary drivers installed but not the software suite- is that an issue?!

Secondly, Win7 flagged an issue with the nVidia chipset drivers for the SMU, ethernet etc. (this harks back to many issues I've had in the past and rang alarm bells!). On the advice of Win7 updater/problem centre, I updated the drivers but the problem is still there. Windows says there is still a problem and I need to update the drivers again. Is there a compatability issue anywhere regarding hardware?

As an aside I had another problem flagged by windows saying there may be a problem with my RAM. This has led to numerous issues (related or otherwise) and many OS reinstalls in the past where windows has said theres a RAM problem and yet windows diagnostics and Memtest both show no RAM faults. This has been a crux of problems for ages but I don't know whats causing it as it seems to lead in circles :(

Any information is welcomed.

FYI I'm off to New Zealand for 4 months next wednesday so another RMA is out of the question. Sadly, if things can't be sorted, I'll come back at it in December/strip it for parts! lol

Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM™ II X4 940 (3.0GHz) BLACK EDITION (Socket AM2+)
Memory (RAM) 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY!
(2x2GB)
Motherboard ASUS® M4N78: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 3 x PCI
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with SP1, 64-bit, CD & Licence
(£75)
USB Options 4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD (TOTAL: 10 USB 2.0 PORTS!)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st CD/DVD Drive 22x DUAL LAYER LIGHTSCRIBE DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 4890 PCI EXPRESS
Sound Card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Gamer
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Network Facilities WIRELESS N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM SNIPER - NEXT GEN GAMING CASE
Power Supply & Case Cooling 700W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£58)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£15)
Anti-Virus KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS 2009 V8.0 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£7)
Office Software Microsoft® Office® 2007 Home & Student (3 Licence) (£65)
Warranty 1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1 Year Free Collect & Return: £5

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Vortex

The issue with your speakers is most likely to be related to your soundcard settings rather than your Logitech speakers. I may be wrong but I believe you can only get the full surround sound when you're playing Dolby compatible music, unless you turn the sound settings to stereo and enable all speakers. If I'm wrong I'm sure our other administrators/moderators will correct me here.

For your Nvidia drivers - we're not aware of any compatability issues, and I would recommend installing the most up-to-date version from the ASUS site rather than the W7 versions.

Regarding your RAM - if memtest and Windows diagnostics aren't showing any problems I don't think there's anything to worry about. Sometimes Windows can speculate issues and if it's telling you one thing one minute but its own diagnostics are saying otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start to get repeated BSOD's.

steveuk87

Super Star
my bad just re-read ur specs its the corsair.. these have been known to give issues with asus Mobo's but its more asus than anything else..

Steve

Zeplini

on the windows error report, if the device/ driver is working correct and you have not noticed any actual problems then i would dismiss the windows warning, and take it lightly (you can right click to ignore).

i had it reporting my nvidia gc driver was messed up and after a full night of messing about i came to the conclusion they was no problem there at all

steveuk87

Super Star
on the windows error report, if the device/ driver is working correct and you have not noticed any actual problems then i would dismiss the windows warning, and take it lightly (you can right click to ignore).

i had it reporting my nvidia gc driver was messed up and after a full night of messing about i came to the conclusion they was no problem there at all

dont you just love windows :)

Steve

Vortex

Cool, I'll check for mobo updates and sound updates later (am in work at the mo.!)

As fdor teh RAM, the only reason I flagged it was because it seemed to rear its head when I had previous issues, I'll await something to go wrong before worrying about that...

Cheers for the quick response + tech help

Vortex

Just to keeep you updated, I've not had a chance to upload new drivers yet, but the pc has worked fine so far. Perhaps I jumped to gun...!