Need to repair Win 7 but can't...

Jonmal123

The file Powrprof.dll has been renamed on my system and now it will not open explorer so I can't get in to rename it back.
I thought all I had to do was run the Windows disc that came with the system and run repair. When I try that option it says it's the wrong version of windows?? What can I do now an why should this happen?

John

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You may need to do a clean install of the OS,instructions are given in the welcome booklet.
Keep in mind this will wipe all data.

Jonmal123

But why will the disk that came with the PC not run the repair option. I have not changed the
OS. Would booting in via a recovery disk not work? A clean install is a pain. I bought the machine in May. Can I talk to technical support?

Jonmal123

Thanks. I saw that article and got to item 10 - then I found the disk provided with the PC won't allow me to run startup repair. It's maddening...
John

kruppsy

Master
The article suggests you can boot up in safe mode so you can at least still get into windows to search for it, have you tried this? If so and you've had no joy then stick to the customer support plan.

Things like this are so annoying because on the face of it it's so simple. Good luck :)

Jonmal123

Managed to get into boot menu and did a system restore and it worked :)
Still a bit worried that the disc that came with the PC shows the message that it's the wrong version of windows. It is W7 Home SP1...