Linux security issue

polycrac

Rising Star
I don't even fully understand this myself and am not a Linux user, but it came up in a Reddit thread I usually follow and I hadn't seen it mentioned here. Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, or linking to Reddit isn't appropriate, I liked the way this user set out the info and thought it best to highlight it without mangling it all by trying to put it in my own words:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was a bit lucky though, I mean it shows the strength of the linux community as a whole, because the guy that found the backdoor said he only stumbled onto it by accident but that it was incredibly sophisticated. Had it been someone else, it's quite possible it would have been missed.

But can you imagine any of the big guys responding to a zero day that quickly? Would literally never happen, takes a good 6 months, and they wouldn't publicise it until late on either, whereas RedHat came forward immediately.

You gotta love open source.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The question does hugely arise though, why would a long time respected GNU developer willingly and knowingly write in an obviously extremely well thought out back door to some of the most respected open source projects on the planet? He's completely ruined his entire body of work and I'm sure will be struck off the GNU dev channels.

And if you think that doesn't carry too many penalties as it's open source so free, I was working on a government contract for a major MSP, and they were paying Red Hat solution architects £800 PER DAY and for long contracts as well, that's a cool 200k per year

The only answer I can come up with is that he was paid off by state sponsors of somewhere.

I don't know what happens from here, but would imagine there would have to be some form of investigation, as the potential damage this could have cause in major business operations globally could have been absolutely ginormous.

Almost any web server is running on Linux, and that's unlikely to change given just how stable it is for that purpose, Amazon Web Services which Amazon, Apple and loads of others (about 30% of cloud operations) all rely on for cloud operations is all done on Linux platforms. And even in Microsoft Azure, a lot of infrastructure is running on Linux for legacy applications or modern ones that just suit linux better.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
The only answer I can come up with is that he was paid off by state sponsors of somewhere.

thats what's been speculated on reddit

• The malicious code was inserted by one of the library's maintainers, an account on github using the name Jai Tan.
  • It's not clear if Jai Tan is a real person or sock puppet. There's no apparent matches on social media.
  • The account was created approximately 2.5 years ago, and committed many ordinary bug fixes to gain trust and eventually maintainer privileges.
  • The account updated the attack multiple times with apparent improvements.
  • Due to the sophistication of the attack and the long time commitment, many are speculating this is state sponsored.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thats what's been speculated on reddit

• The malicious code was inserted by one of the library's maintainers, an account on github using the name Jai Tan.
  • It's not clear if Jai Tan is a real person or sock puppet. There's no apparent matches on social media.
  • The account was created approximately 2.5 years ago, and committed many ordinary bug fixes to gain trust and eventually maintainer privileges.
  • The account updated the attack multiple times with apparent improvements.
  • Due to the sophistication of the attack and the long time commitment, many are speculating this is state sponsored.
There needs to be an investigation

Firstly to find out who the dev is

Secondly to find out who wrote the code

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not anti Chinese in any respect whatsoever, I have never believe a government dictates what it's public are like.

But China have recently said that they're banning any use of western OS and hardware for Chinese businesses, and they're moving everything over to some state fork of Ubuntu.

I do wonder if the two may be related. The timing just seems suspicious.

It could be anyone though of course.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I'm not anti Chinese in any respect whatsoever, I have never believe a government dictates what it's public are like.

But China have recently said that they're banning any use of western OS and hardware for Chinese businesses, and they're moving everything over to some state fork of Ubuntu.

I do wonder if the two may be related. The timing just seems suspicious.

It could be anyone though of course.

how likely would it be for a state hacker to be employed by any tech business and for them to slip code into a program?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
how likely would it be for a state hacker to be employed by any tech business and for them to slip code into a program?
Does happen. But normally any code would be proof read, either by some kind of oversight body, or nowadays, AI, AI is embedded in GitHub where all the Microsoft repo's are created and constantly scans for malicious code.