issues with LAN port and using ethernet

Hello,

I received my PSC desktop PC last January and have been cruising along enjoying my gaming experience until the following problem cropped up; most of the time I connect to the internet via WIFI but when I need to download large games/updates I plug an ethernet cable in. However in the last month or so when I plug the ethernet cable in, the PC refuses to 'recognize' it and I remain disconnected from the internet. I've checked the cable and the router (green lights) could it be an issue with the LAN port? What can I do in Windows(11) to check the port? (If anything of course...)

Thanks for any help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello,

I received my PSC desktop PC last January and have been cruising along enjoying my gaming experience until the following problem cropped up; most of the time I connect to the internet via WIFI but when I need to download large games/updates I plug an ethernet cable in. However in the last month or so when I plug the ethernet cable in, the PC refuses to 'recognize' it and I remain disconnected from the internet. I've checked the cable and the router (green lights) could it be an issue with the LAN port? What can I do in Windows(11) to check the port? (If anything of course...)

Thanks for any help.
Firstly, why do you connect to the LAN cable? Is your broadband speed over 1Gps?

There’s zero benefit to connecting to LAN in anything other than latency, unless you have stupidly fast Fibre to the home serving multiple Gps.

But connecting to LAN doesn't improve speeds in anyway assuming you're in the 99% of people who have broadband speeds under 1Gps. Any modern wifi supports over 1Gps anyway without any issue.

So either there's an issue with your wifi, or you're trying to fault find on something that is irrelevant on your system anyway.

Last edited:
can you please post the full spec from your orders page
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
down_right_arrow.gif
6FHBN-KGQXD-978R8-WP473-T6PR8
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Best to remove your windows key otherwise anyone can steal it

Firstly, why do you connect to the LAN cable? Is your broadband speed over 1Gps?

There’s zero benefit to connecting to LAN in anything other than latency, unless you have stupidly fast Fibre to the home serving multiple Gps.

But connecting to LAN doesn't improve speeds in anyway assuming you're in the 99% of people who have broadband speeds under 1Gps. Any modern wifi supports over 1Gps anyway without any issue.
OK maybe I'm not using the right names for things but my 1 Gig fibre speed (average 700-800 Mbps) via wifi by the time it transmits to the other end of the house where my PC is located has reduced to 12 Mbps, so downloading anything becomes an ultra marathon. So, I prefer a wired connection sometimes to make the most of my internet speed. As I said the PC used to be quite happy switching between wifi and wired connection but now when I plug the ethernet cable (?) in it doesn't recognize it and remains connected via wifi... and when I turn off WIFI to encourage the wired connection, well, it doesn't happen. I'm not saying its the PC necessarily but I need some advice as to where to start...

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
can you post a screen shot of your windows update page, optional update page, and device manager (showing the network adapter, also this might sound silly, but have you tried a different cable, also how do you get the wired connection over that distance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK maybe I'm not using the right names for things but my 1 Gig fibre speed (average 700-800 Mbps) via wifi by the time it transmits to the other end of the house where my PC is located has reduced to 12 Mbps, so downloading anything becomes an ultra marathon. So, I prefer a wired connection sometimes to make the most of my internet speed. As I said the PC used to be quite happy switching between wifi and wired connection but now when I plug the ethernet cable (?) in it doesn't recognize it and remains connected via wifi... and when I turn off WIFI to encourage the wired connection, well, it doesn't happen. I'm not saying its the PC necessarily but I need some advice as to where to start...
So a couple of things.

Unfortunately you've selected a wifi card that's over 15 years old. If you don't understand hardware it's best to get advice. So that card caps out at 300mbs.

But it should still be far far quicker so long as it's got suitable range and the aerials are attached. so you need to troubleshoot why you're only getting 12Mbps, also understanding that 12MBps (mega bytes) is 8 x 12Mbps (Mega bits) so in fact 96Mbps, make sure you're reading the right denomination. Windows for instance uses MBps while browsers tend to use Mbps.

But yes, in your case, as you've selected an outdated wifi card, you will benefit from connecting via LAN even if the card was performing optimally

can you post a screen shot of your windows update page, optional update page, and device manager (showing the network adapter, also this might sound silly, but have you tried a different cable, also how do you get the wired connection over that distance
Will do, at work currently. A 20 m long cable. I plug and unplug it as required.

So a couple of things.

Unfortunately you've selected a wifi card that's over 15 years old. If you don't understand hardware it's best to get advice. So that card caps out at 300mbs.

But it should still be far far quicker so long as it's got suitable range and the aerials are attached. so you need to troubleshoot why you're only getting 12Mbps, also understanding that 12MBps (mega bytes) is 8 x 12Mbps (Mega bits) so in fact 96Mbps, make sure you're reading the right denomination. Windows for instance uses MBps while browsers tend to use Mbps.

But yes, in your case, as you've selected an outdated wifi card, you will benefit from connecting via LAN even if the card was performing optimally
Interesting. I was very trusting of the options in the dropdown menus when creating my PC! That's on me.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Interesting. I was very trusting of the options in the dropdown menus when creating my PC! That's on me.
The thing is they are just that options, another option that would have been in there at a slightly higher price would have been an AX200 which is dual band and also has bluetooth on it

And there's me thinking I was reasonably tech savvy! I do recall noting the speed of the WIFI card and assumed it would be fine for online shopping (it is) and resolved to utilizing a wired connection for gaming, which is now the issue. I will endeavour to find the windows update page & optional update page.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's a common misconception. The configurator allows for many many different types of PC.

A lot of IOT devices or something like a media server wouldn't benefit from 5GHz band or speeds, and many IOT things ONLY work on the 2.4GHz band, which is why that wifi card was an option.

But you have to design a PC to the specific use that you require out of a possible many hundreds of different configuration possibilities.

But working properly, and assuming you've got proper wifi coverage at home, that card should be getting at least 250Mbps up and down.

Got home swapped the port that the cable was connected into the router, checked the cable and plugged it into my son’s PCS desktop PC, worked fine. Plugged it into mine worked fine, no hassle. Odd but at least I’ve learned my WiFi card is old. Thanks for the replies. Case closed.