HELP! - My PC randomly shuts down!

topcat5665

Silver Level Poster
Sometimes when I awake my computer from a sleep, I can hear a really high pitch fan noise, sounds like the GPU fan maybe? After a few seconds, the noise goes away and I hear my motherboard switching on sound, but I can see nothing! Since my motherboard is on, and it is making that noise, I have a feeling it is the GPU, anyway to test/fix this?

Thank you very much for any help!

Specs:

CPU: Core i5 2500 quad core

Motherboard: ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

GPU: GeForce 560ti (palit)

I am also running windows on an SSD.

Maybe it is when the GPU needs a lot of power? My PSU is more than enough, 650w

Last edited:

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
If you have had your PC for a while it could possibly just be overheating, which could be why you hear your fan going mad and your motherboard telling you it's going to shut down before it does. If this is the case then you can try the following.

- Your computer may be therefore clogged up with dust, which will need removing.

To do so:

1. Get ready to be careful not to cause any static shocks when cleaning it out, so limit touching the actual components themselves, especially exposed circuits and wear a anti-static wristband if you have one.

2a. Even though lots of people do use a rounded nozzle vaccum up large deposits of dust inside the case, it is not recommended due to the fact that using a vacuum can cause static build up which could lead up to the being discharged and frying your components. If you do feel the need to do this, then make sure the nozzle is well away from any components when sucking up the dust.

2b. You can also use a can of 'compressed air' to blow out the dust safely without leaving behind much moisture. If you do, then make sure you do this in a well ventilated area because that dust is going to fly!

You can then finnish of with a dry cloth, or dry/damp for parts that are well away from components, i.e. case fans.

- If it is not looking like a dusty desert inside your case, then I would try installing a hardware monitor program to detect any dangerous temperatures you are getting from any hardware. I'd personally recommend HWMonitor for generally accurate readings.
You can download it here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html