Graphic card melt down

chewon

So this is my situation

Been using a 2080 super card for the pass 4 years, and everything seems to be running fine, until 2 days ago

Switch on my tower as usual, but now instead of usual start up, i was met with loud fan noise (seems coming from my graphic card) and no screen. Have to switch off power as the regular long press doesnt work

Tried couple of time, occasionally i manage to get into windows, but within a min or so, the loud fan noise comes back, and screen go blank.

I've unplug everything, did a thorough clean for dust etc, put that back together, and met with the same faith - loud noise from the fan, and wont go any further (system stuck at this stage until i switch off from the power)

My first guess is, perhaps the graphic card is gone, so i would replace it.... as of today i think i can still find a 2080 ti, a 3080 ti or a 3090 to replace it https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/62720

But digging deeper i notice different cable (power) configuration between diffrent card, so i am not sure

Hence here i am, hoping anyone with better knowledge can help out, or point me towards the right direction into saving the system

Full spec of my system:
Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core CPU (3.0GHz-4.2GHz, 80MB CACHE)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG ZENITH EXTREME (DDR4, WIFI, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (8 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB WD Black™ SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD (up to 3470MB/s R | 3000MB/s W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Wraith Ripper Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Much appreciate your time and any suggestion

Cheers

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s missing the case?

Ignore anything on userbenchmark. It’s a completely irrelevant site that has zero understanding of anything at all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
case now updated in post above
It may just be worth removing all the RAM and just trying a boot with one stick in the relevant slot as this could be something like a RAM issue.

I would also detach the 2 HDD's just for testing.

Have you updated the GPU VBIOS at all since you've had it?