Gahhhh I hate waiting xD

Hey guys,

Noobie here :D
Waiting for my order to be dispatched! Hopefully will be with me next week.
Here's the spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£86)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £848.00 including VAT and delivery.

What d'yall think? There's a few things there that i wish i could afford to have slightly upgraded :p But unfortunately I'm going uni this year and have to be kinda careful with how much i spend before going.
Will be coming out of uni in debt, so really shouldn't go in that way xD

So excited for this thing to arrive. I just really hope that it all comes in perfect working order, and without a delivery guy that likes to throw things around :/

John

Rakk

The Awesome
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Looks like a fairly balanced system and will hopefully serve you well - though if you're planning on overclocking at some point (suggested by the fact you've picked the k variant of the CPU and the higher speed RAM), you may want to up the CPU cooling when you do that.

And I would suggest upping the warranty to silver for a fiver (it extends the collect and return and parts to a year instead of a month - so good for peace of mind if nothing else).

And yes, the waiting is the hardest part :)

Hey, thanks man :)
Yea, did the best that I could with the money available :p Student here ;)

I was aiming for a fairly decent pc now, but leaving myself lots of room for upgrades in the near future.
Yea OCing the cpu is something I will hopefully do. Maybe OC it a little with the current cooler and see how it handles.

I think I will take that advice and upgrade the warranty. For a fiver I suppose i have nothing to lose tbh. Am I able to call and have that extended? Cause it will no longer let me add that within my "Amend order" page.

JSG10

Expert
Looks like a good spec, and +rep for the case choice alone :)

As for Overclocking, are you aware doing so will void your warranty? PCS do offer an overclocking service, it might be worth giving them a call, upgrading the CPU cooler and getting them to do the OC as then it's all covered by their warranty still :)
Unless of course you're familiar and confident with overclocking :) I know I'm not! lol

Rakk

The Awesome
As for Overclocking, are you aware doing so will void your warranty? PCS do offer an overclocking service, it might be worth giving them a call, upgrading the CPU cooler and getting them to do the OC as then it's all covered by their warranty still :)
I believe OC'ing of the CPU only voids the warranty if it's what causes the damage. So if something fails and it's nothing to do with the OC'ing then it's still covered (disclaimer: that's my understanding of it, I may be wrong)

JSG10

Expert
I think you're right. But thats a bit of a dodgy game to play to my thinking. If something does then go wrong after OCing you've got to figure out if it was due to OC or not... I'd rather just have piece of mind and get them to do it lol or wait until long after the warranty has expired.

Cheers JSG ;) Love the look of the cm690ii. Definitely one of the best cases around. For the price it has fantastic cooling, looks, and space. Bought myself a side panel as well as a couple of blue led fans to attach ;D Will look damn nice next to the razer lycosa keyboard and naga mouse to go with it. (cant get a new computer without a new kb and mouse, wouldnt feel right lol)

img1510s.jpg

Should hopefully look real nice.

But yea the overclocking I might leave for a while. My first time OCing a CPU as well :p Might burn it in a little and read up on the OCing, and then give it a try in a month or so.
Thing is, the stock i5 2500k 3.3Ghz is still pretty decent. and if I remember right, that goes up to 3.7ghz in turbo right? So I think if i oc it, i'll probably only want to push it up to a 3.5 or 3.6 with turbo reaching 4.2ghz or so.

What would you guys suggest with the current cooler? Or would it be pointless even trying with that one...

JSG10

Expert
Oh nice on the side panel ^^ Am tempted by that myself as I've only got the stock one on at the moment.
Is that a little filter panel in your photo there? Where'd you get that from? Am jealous of your KB and mouse... I want the Lycosa (mirror ed) not sure about the Naga, think it might be a bit OTT for me, wouldn't mind the Deathadder though :)
Looking forward to the finished photos :)

You could manage a small overclock with that cooler but I'd be looking at upgrading it for anything more substantial. Make sure you do a lot of reading on OC and take it slow. I'm not brave enough to attempt it because I know I'll only break something! lol

Yea man you should definitely have a look at getting one! Got mine from here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-227-CM
and yea it's the Demciflex dust filter. It comes with a sticky magnetic square that sticks around the edge of the fan, and the filter just snaps right to it.
Really great quality! Uses medical grade mesh which is amazing. Blocks dust, but doesn't stop air flow in the slightest. Also got it from the same place https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-000-OE

Ah man the keyboard and mouse are fantastic! Yea the mirror one is what i went with. Only problem is, I have to send the lycosa back tomorrow as the media touch panel is busted :( According to the interwebz it's really common, and caused my iTunes to have a seizure by stopping and starting songs repeatedly xD

Hopefully the replacement will work though! :p

Tbh man I'm kinda half in and half out your boat lol. I don't know if i trust myself with the OC. Done it plenty of times with my gfx card. But i'm the sort of person that will up the speed and then think "Just a little bit more will be fine".... until it breaks xD

I'll have a read and make a decision later ;P

JSG10

Expert
Ah I've read about that media panel problem! Thats not good to hear :S Not good for a high end product.

Ahh I've added them to my basket on Amazon now... but I can't do it haha will have to see what happens, might get them still :S

Thanks for the links to the filters and panel :)

Yea definitely not good for a high end product at all.
Haha buy them man! They look so good.

No probs for the links bro.

I've been thinking about fan placement on the case. So I already have the front and side fan for intake, but I'm not sure whether to have 2 exhaust fans on the top, or have 1 exhaust at the top and 1 intake at the bottom.
Any suggestions at all?