FS2004 in Win7

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
I've now had my wonderful new high spec computer for a week and I've just got around to installing FS2004 (the reason for upgrading), but I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle.

Despite assurances that FS9 will work in Win7 64 Home Premium, when I press "Alt" to bring up the menu, I get a blank screen.

I don't know too much about computers, but a web search would suggest it's a video driver problem, as all is ok in Windowed Mode or with the FS9 anti-aliasing turned off.

Neither is desirable, so how do I find a driver that works, please?

The graphics card is a GTX680 and I've checked that the latest Nvidia driver is installed.

Many thanks for any assistance, as it's really disappointing to spend nearly £2,000 and have this happen.

steaky360

The latest drivers came out very recently so it might be worth a quick check again just to be sure and to ensure flightsim is up to date as well.

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
The latest drivers came out very recently so it might be worth a quick check again just to be sure and to ensure flightsim is up to date as well.

Thanks for your reply, but why is it always suggested that the latest driver will cure all ills?

Given that FS2004 has been out for over 8 years now, surely any driver problems will have been sorted by now?

Also, how do I ensure FS2004 is up to date, please?

I was wondering if anyone could specify an archived driver that gets around my problem, as earlier posters in another thread seem to have FS9 working in Win7 without a problem.

Which driver are Flight Simmers using, please?

steaky360

Thanks for your reply, but why is it always suggested that the latest driver will cure all ills?

Given that FS2004 has been out for over 8 years now, surely any driver problems will have been sorted by now?

Also, how do I ensure FS2004 is up to date, please?

I was wondering if anyone could specify an archived driver that gets around my problem, as earlier posters in another thread seem to have FS9 working in Win7 without a problem.

Which driver are Flight Simmers using, please?

You are using a very new graphics card so any old drivers (around the time FS2004 was new) will likely not work for your 680. Using the latest drivers is always the first port of call when trying to diagnose a problem.

I have no idea how to update FS2004 I don't own it unfortunately, again, this would be a good thing to check.

I have no issues using the latest drivers on many older games I own nor on Flight Sim X which I play but I cant be so sure about FS2004 although I can imagine the latest drivers WILL work for it too.

Can you describe your problem a bit more, I understand that when you press alt to bring up a menu the screen goes blank. I assume the sim was working fine before that (ie starts and runs ok etc.).