Freezing screen with static bars

Marcyay

Hey,

I recently bought a laptop a few weeks ago (spec below). Three times now it has frozen, twice on pubg once on overwatch. I have checked temps are all fine, CPU and GPU usage checks out and it's while laptop is plugged in, as I don't game without it plugged in. I use an IETS cooling pad too, so it NEVER gets hot. My only assumption is that it's a faulty GPU or something. Hoping someone has some ideas! Cheers
PXL_20240327_174144415.MP.jpg

Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 17" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 24 Core Processor 14900HX (5.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 5000 MB/R, 4400 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 280W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Integrated 99WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
LIQUID METAL PERFORMANCE COOLING
Sound Card
Nahimic by SteelSeries 2 Channel HD Audio
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
RECOIL 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you take a screenshot and the same shows, then it’s likely a software issue but could be gpu, if the screenshot looks normal then it’s a screen error

When you say it never gets hot, what temps are you seeing on the gpu and cpu?

You haven’t posted the full specs, did you order with or without windows?

I take it you didn’t order the liquid cooler?

Last edited:

Marcyay

If you take a screenshot and the same shows, then it’s likely a software issue but could be gpu, if the screenshot looks normal then it’s a screen error

When you say it never gets hot, what temps are you seeing on the gpu and cpu?
I can't take a screenshot unfortuantely because no buttons work while it happens. For temps CPU sits around 70ish while on pubg/OW according to HWinfo and GPU around 50-60 :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can't take a screenshot unfortuantely because no buttons work while it happens. For temps CPU sits around 70ish while on pubg/OW according to HWinfo and GPU around 50-60 :)
Sorry, edited the post to add some questions before you replied

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
From experience.
Experience would tell you that you never make estimations, even if you strongly suspect something you back it up with evidence from troubleshooting steps.

Even if it was a RAM issue there are steps you’d take before coming to the conclusion it needed replacing.

Never make assumptions in computing, anyone that does is not experienced.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Looks to be a RAM issue. Raise an RMA.
Could be, but that's a bold statement to make based on the evidence we have...! +Experience is useful, but it can never replace evidence.

@Marcyay please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resultant zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. Be sure to make it public (so we don't have to login to download the zip file).

The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp does not collect any personally identifying information, it's perfectly safe, and it#s used by several respected Windows help forums. You can look at the files in the zip file, mostly they are txt files, but please don't change or delete anything. If you want to know what data these files contain there are full details here.

Also, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports and check in there AND in all sub-folfers for dump files (.dmp). Upload any that you find.

That may shed more light on what's going on.