Flashing bios using a (blue) USB port

kam67

Enthusiast
I am awaiting the delivery of a desktop with the asus z877 pro/tb, which only comes with USB 3.0 at the back (as well as 4 USB 2 ports midboard, I think); is it safe to flash the bios using a USB 3.0 port? Thanks!

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
USB 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with 2.0 so as long as it detects the USB Stick, I don't see any problems.

However, I believe that most new Asus Boards should come with the Asus Ai Suite software for Windows, which actually allows upgrading of the BIOS directly from within Windows.

kam67

Enthusiast
Ok, thanks a lot.

I have had one crash ( and forced reboot), with the message that 'windows has recovered from a critical error. '. Annoyingly, I was out of the room when that happened - at the time I was running a direct X 11 benchmark. I suspect it was a BSOD. I have now disabled the option for Windows to automatically restart, and am running 3d mark 11 on a loop to see if the issue reoccurs.

In a bit of a dilemma as to whether to flash the bios. It doesn't that Asus is very vague about what issues the latest version addresses ( this is for the asus z877 pro/ thunderbolt motherboard).

Last edited: