Drop in fps and performance.

Asam

Hey guys,

I'm not a very technical person, but I could really use some help.

I've had my PC for about a week now, and when I finally did get it up and running it was working great.

However since yesterday I have noticed a pretty bad drop in fps on a game that I play, for example before this issue in certain areas I was hitting over 100fps. Now All I seem to get is around 20-40fps..I've also noticed that I am starting to get in game tearing while playing to, this has also only started occurring since yesterday.

When I say performance issue, well what I mean is that things generally are loading a lot slower, when I boot up a game now, it can take a while..however a week ago, the PC would boot it up in an instance.

I'm not really sure what has caused this problem, as I have really not changed any of the settings on the PC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
What game is it?

Whats your specs?

Have you made sure Windows is completely up to date? Have you installed the latest Graphics card drivers?

Asam

The game in question is world of warcraft.

As for the specs, as I said I'm not very techy so I'll link what I can

AMD ATHLON II X4 635 (2.9GHz/2MB CACHE/AM3)
ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5750 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE

I have the latest graphics card drivers installed and windows is up to date.

Sleinous

Author Level
Sounds like something has changed or installed itself and is using your computer's processing power, ALOT, either that or the GPU is dieing? You could try a system restore to the day before and see if that helps.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
The game in question is world of warcraft.

As for the specs, as I said I'm not very techy so I'll link what I can

AMD ATHLON II X4 635 (2.9GHz/2MB CACHE/AM3)
ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5750 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE

I have the latest graphics card drivers installed and windows is up to date.

Is there any areas in particular? The FPS in WoW does take nosedives in busy areas. Wintergrasp and Dalaran are 2 that spring to mind for me that makes my FPS drop from 70-80 down to 20-25.

Asam

I hope my GPU aint dieing after having the PC for a week :(

Thing is, it is in busy areas, but also not in busy areas..for example, in starting lowbie areas where I am still hitting around 25fps or so, which is pretty bad considering how much I used to hit.

I will try a system restore I guess and see if that helps, but if it doesn't its safe to assume the GPU is dieing?

Rakk

The Awesome
Sounds exactly like what used to happen to my games when my virus scanner did its scan, so it could well be something like that (or some other software).

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have a software problem here, as something is eating away at your CPU and GPU performance. I would suggest scanning for viruses and checking your event viewer (crtl + alt + del --> task manager --> "Processes" Tab) to see if anything is using up your system resources.

Sweeney47

I used to have the exact same random low fps session like you describe. Have you tried changing anti-aliasing options etc to see if thats having an effect, or shadows? Tried running a repair on the client? Deleted the cache, addons folders etc?

One thing you could try is uninstalling WoW... thats it. :D

Sweeney47

out of curiosity have you put verticle sync on in video settings? This would probably cap your FPS at 60 (or whatever your monitor refresh rate it) then anything that 'strains' you pc would lower it from that so 20-40 would seem logical in crowded areas or areas with lots of particle effects or something.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Try this, I had a similar issue, go to Catalyst control manager, look for a setting in the 3D settings called 'Catalyst AI', and disable it. It can cause issues on some stuff.

Gorman

Author Level
WoW performance issues on high end rigs are usually all down to addons. Get rid of them all and see if it goes away, then add them one by one until you can identify the culprit.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Also if you are running the new drivers, GET RID OF THEM...they are creating masses of problems on many games, thats driver version 10.7 and 10.8

Please remove CCC and any ati drivers on your system (have a look on the c drive and delete the ATi folders after removing the above) and download version 10.4/10.5 please - pretty sure that wil solve the problem.

Asam

Exactly how would I go about doing that PaulH? Considering I'm still have this issue..Sorry for being a noob. Oh and btw, I think I am runing version 10.6