Cannot Detect video card

marmax

Hi guys

Okay so today i turned on my computer to the alarming surprise of a pixilated screen and a message saying no hardware detected. It apear my viedo card has completely gone bust. To be fair there were warning signs ever since i purchased it, the occasional crash, freezes but i put those down to the possibility of the drivers.

well i guess i was wrong. so my question is based on my computer specs (below), what graphics card do u guys recommend. I have a three year warranty but would i have needed to report this problem a while a go or does that not matter?

Case NZXT PHANTOM 410 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA1155 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Fan Controller NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor NONE
2nd Monitor NONE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Cable Tidy NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£59)
Charity Calendar NONE
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £849.17
Price £1,019.00
Order Quantity 1
Bulk Discount £0.00
Total Order price (Ex VAT) £849.17
Total Order Price £1,019.00
P/O Number - Edit P/O Number
Payment Method Debit Card
Delivery Details
Wattage
Maximum Required Power 461W

Rakk

The Awesome
well i guess i was wrong. so my question is based on my computer specs (below), what graphics card do u guys recommend. I have a three year warranty but would i have needed to report this problem a while a go or does that not matter?

Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Well, its always best to report problems as soon as they happen since you need to report them within the time of the warranty, you have a standard warranty which is one year for parts, when did you get your machine, within the last year? if so then you will be covered for it (though you would have to pay courier charges since the standard warranty only covers courier charges for the first month and I presume you've had it longer than that).

Even if you are outside of the 1 year, you could give PCS a call and see what they can do for you, the graphics card may have a manufacturers warranty of more than one year anyway, so it may be covered

paul1224

A quick way of diagnosing if you feel comfortable with it is to open the PC up and re-seat the GPU just to make sure that it hasn't over time come loose or the connectors have got clogged up with dust.

If you aren't comfortable with that give PCS a call and they can hopefully help further with diagnostics as to the actual problem.

Also if teh GPU is artifacting, with pink dots and other weird colours it's likely on the way out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleinous

Author Level
As paul suggested, a quick dedust, remove, reinsertion should determien whether its a faulty GPU or just dust.

If it is still in warranty you can also just remove the GPU and RMA that back to PCS instead of the entire PC.