Brand new pre build, sounds loud, aio pump set to full speed

Maxybell

Hello,
I’m not massively clued up so apologies if I’m being daft

I just got a new pc coming from a Ryzen 5 3070 to an i9 4090 and noticed it is considerably louder than I’m used too but didn’t think much of it and put it down to the hardware jump, after using it all day it became clear that the noise was probably not normal as it was louder than the game at some points.

Had a little look at my fan speeds as that’s what it sounds like and all are at around 800-900 rpm and cpu at 1100rpm except ‘aio pump’ which is at nearly 1900 rpm whilst pc is idle, when you have a look at the fans all are set to standard except this pump which is set to “full speed”

I basically just want to know if anyone else has this, if it’s meant to be set like that and if not should it be on standard.

It’s also set to auto detect

Thank you for any help!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello,
I’m not massively clued up so apologies if I’m being daft

I just got a new pc coming from a Ryzen 5 3070 to an i9 4090 and noticed it is considerably louder than I’m used too but didn’t think much of it and put it down to the hardware jump, after using it all day it became clear that the noise was probably not normal as it was louder than the game at some points.

Had a little look at my fan speeds as that’s what it sounds like and all are at around 800-900 rpm and cpu at 1100rpm except ‘aio pump’ which is at nearly 1900 rpm whilst pc is idle, when you have a look at the fans all are set to standard except this pump which is set to “full speed”

I basically just want to know if anyone else has this, if it’s meant to be set like that and if not should it be on standard.

It’s also set to auto detect

Thank you for any help!
If you can post your full specs from the order page?

Maxybell

If you can post your full specs from the order page?
Yeah I can, thank you

PCS LUMIN ARGB MID TOWER CASE (PWM)

Get Star Wars OutlawsTM with purchase of qualifying Intel® CoreTM 14th Gen Processors

Get a discount code for 20% off select peripherals at Corsair.com

Intel® CoreTM i9 24-Core Processor i9-14900KF (Up to 6.0GHz) 36MB Cache

ASUS® ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI II (LGA1700, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)

24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 - HDMI, DP

2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W) NOT REQUIRED

CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIESTM - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 1 x 1.5 Metre UK

Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)

PCS FrostFlow 360 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
United Kingdom - English Language

Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I can, thank you

PCS LUMIN ARGB MID TOWER CASE (PWM)

Get Star Wars OutlawsTM with purchase of qualifying Intel® CoreTM 14th Gen Processors

Get a discount code for 20% off select peripherals at Corsair.com

Intel® CoreTM i9 24-Core Processor i9-14900KF (Up to 6.0GHz) 36MB Cache

ASUS® ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI II (LGA1700, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)

24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 - HDMI, DP

2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W) NOT REQUIRED

CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIESTM - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 1 x 1.5 Metre UK

Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)

PCS FrostFlow 360 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
You haven't included if you bought with windows or not?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry I missed that bit off, it’s there now
So basically, that cooler is a budget cooler, it's not designed for that level of processor and you'll find the CPU thermal throttles under load. It doesn't have the pump power to be able to circulate the coolant at the rate required for that CPU. It's also not software controllable, it just runs at it's own settings, you can't change it.

You can verify this by running a Prime95 load for 10 minutes and having Hardware Monitor open at the same time, then take a screeshot of the CPU readings (temperatures, frequency and load) after 10 minutes WHILE the stress is still continuing.

Also, that case is not suitable for the build, and will further complicate cooling, especially with a 4090.

You can test this by running the Prime95 test, then at the same time run a furmark to activate the GPU, leave it running for 10 minutes and record Hardware Monitor for both CPU and GPU readings. Then repeat the test with the side door open and do the same.

IMHO, given the issues with Intel CPU's at the moment, I would cancel the order (which you can no questions asked within 14 days of receipt) and get some advice on something more suitable.

Maxybell

So basically, that cooler is a budget cooler, it's not designed for that level of processor and you'll find the CPU thermal throttles under load. It doesn't have the pump power to be able to circulate the coolant at the rate required for that CPU. It's also not software controllable, it just runs at it's own settings, you can't change it.

You can verify this by running a Prime95 load for 10 minutes and having Hardware Monitor open at the same time, then take a screeshot of the CPU readings (temperatures, frequency and load) after 10 minutes WHILE the stress is still continuing.

Also, that case is not suitable for the build, and will further complicate cooling, especially with a 4090.

You can test this by running the Prime95 test, then at the same time run a furmark to activate the GPU, leave it running for 10 minutes and record Hardware Monitor for both CPU and GPU readings. Then repeat the test with the side door open and do the same.

IMHO, given the issues with Intel CPU's at the moment, I would cancel the order (which you can no questions asked within 14 days of receipt) and get some advice on something more suitable.

Really? Even though it’s a pre build from them? I honestly thought that would be the safest way of going about it seens as I don’t know much about it.
Basically are you saying absolutely no questions asked I will 100% have issues with this pc?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Really? Even though it’s a pre build from them? I honestly thought that would be the safest way of going about it seens as I don’t know much about it.
Basically are you saying absolutely no questions asked I will 100% have issues with this pc?
If you do the tests mentioned, you'll see conclusively for yourself.

If you read the links as well, you'll see these processors are pretty flawed on the whole.

Me personally, I wouldn't recommend intel to anyone, they're hugely overpriced, poor performers, use an ENORMOUS amount of energy which does impact your bills in a real tangible way, and they're impossible to cool.

And the investigations are still ongoing, but it's been proven by repuatable people in the field that this issue is not just caused by "overclocked" motherboard settings out of the factory causing degredation, a lot of people are having this with brand new PC's on first boot up.

I'm afraid Intel have lost an awful lot of credibility in the past 5 years or so, they're now the poor processors that you want to avoid wherever possible, but are still priced like their the kings (which they aren't either).

An AMD system would give you better reliability and more performance for the same cost.