7970 flickering

Four Dyce

Hi all, just wonder if anyone knows what else could be causing flickering with a HD7970, besides drivers, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8M20cTXWOk

I made that vid with Skyrim with drivers 12.4 at the time. I had to roll back to 12.3 which was what the computer I bought here came with at the time, with 12.3 I still get the odd flicker but no-where as bad as it is in that vid, say like once every few minutes. Which doesn't bother me as much as it did with what you see in that clip. Now someone said in the comments that he's using the 12.11 beta, and he still gets flickering. Which made me think, is the card defective?

Four Dyce

No everything. Though I think more graphically intensive games make it slightly worse, like Dead Island. I also notice it when browsing though it's rarer.

steaky360

Must admit I have l not seen anything like that before... Might be a good idea to give PCS a call. You,said besides drivers so I figure you have tried installing new ones and rolling back to old ones too

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If you've tried all possibilities far as driver goes,like clean install,updating,or even previous drivers then the card may well be defective,but that's not to say all 7970's are defective.
If still under warranty I would give PCS a call.

Four Dyce

I've only tried 12.3, which is what the machine came installed with. And 12.4, the vid shows the result of that. So I rolled back to 12.3, which is no-where near as bad, but still does it. I was about to update to 12.11 as I thought it was only a driver issue, but as someone said in the comments they used 12.11 and they still get some flickering, so there's a good possibility I'll still get the flickering as well if I try 12.11.

That's why I wondered if there was any other issue besides drivers, like overheating or it's defective. It's just that going from 12.3 to 12.4 made it much, much worse. So I just can't put my finger on it.

As an aside, when I took the side panel off the computer, the end of the card that faces the front of the computer was much lower than the other end. I mean it looked bent. I had cut a piece of plastic to shape and put it under the card to support it and straighten it out. I know it's a long card but it really stood out.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would try a clean install of the latest driver from AMD.
Click on Start
Open the Control Panel
Select Programs and Features
Select AMD (ATI) Catalyst Install Manager
Click on Change
Click on Next when prompted for the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard forAMD Catalyst Install Manager,
Select Express Uninstall All Software
Follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished
To verify that the graphics driver has been uninstalled, return to the Uninstall or Change a Program list and ensure that there is no AMD specific software listed
If AMD specific software is still listed, remove any remaining AMDsoftware components using the above process and restart the system when complete.
Download latest driver from here.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
If still no joy contact PCS as it could be an issue with the card being faulty or simply not seated properly.

Last edited:

Four Dyce

Alright, I'll grab the latest, thanks.

I did some googling as well, it was suggested somewhere that opening CCC, then selecting 3D application settings, then changing the AA mode to Override Application Settings, then setting samples to 2x -- might help so I tried it. Seems to have helped surprisingly. Trying Dead Island with it for 10 minutes seems to have helped.

I'm still going to update drivers though, and make sure it's connected to the motherboard properly as well.

I appreciate the help, cheers.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Also make sure if you have updated your BIOS, that it was updated correctly. (I have received graphic issues because of this).
E.g. Some Asus motherboards may require the update to be installed again after the initial BIOS installation and reboot to correctly complete the update.