360 Windows Game Controller Issues

kam67

Enthusiast
Hi

I am experiencing a problem with my new gaming desktop - purchased from PCS and delivered Sat. morning.

My 360 Windows gaming controller, which works perfectly well (tested on my gaming laptop) - is randomly losing connection. I have tried several usb sockets and have downloaded lates driver for the controller. Any suggestions as to how to procede much appreciated.
(Specs: Asus z877 pro/thunderbolt, windows professional 64bit, geforce gtx 670 SLI)

Wonder if it is a USB issue and whether I should upgrade the USB drivers (and possibl Flash bios)?

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks for your prompt reply!

I have checked and definitely not that - I tested it earlier on my other pc and there were no issues.

P.S. I have also checked and made sure that the usb ports in device manager are not set to shut down to save power.

P.P.S My usb keyboard and mouse are working fine and not disconnecting.

P.P.P.S Have not tried the Usb hubs at the back - I will try and see if it makes any difference. The ones at the from are connected to the USB hubs at the back using a Usb Cabel which runs through the pc and out at the back where they are connected up there (PCS arrangement).

Last edited:

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Is it a wireless controller and you have purchased the microsoft dongle? if so im sorry to say it was a waste of money i dont think anyone has gotten it to work properly since it was released. If its a wired controller you shouldnt have needed to download drivers as windows should do it all by itself being a microsoft product you best bet is to uninstall any drivers you have and let windows sort the drivers out itself.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Try a usb port on the motherboard see if windows installs drivers for it hopefully it should work then.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks - when you say a USB port on the motherboard, do you mean one of the ones at the back of the case?

baron75mk2

Banned
Is it a wireless controller and you have purchased the microsoft dongle? if so im sorry to say it was a waste of money i dont think anyone has gotten it to work properly since it was released. If its a wired controller you shouldnt have needed to download drivers as windows should do it all by itself being a microsoft product you best bet is to uninstall any drivers you have and let windows sort the drivers out itself.

lol , mines just fine always has been , never an issue (wireless) - it is best though to install the full driver & not rely on the one built in to win7 , its not the full driver

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Just wait baron a problem will unearth itself soon enough id put money on it, and kam yes a port on the rear of your case for future reference the ports to the frount of your case are motherboard ports ones to the fount and top are headers and if you have ones in the same type slots as your graphics card those are pci card ports.

kam67

Enthusiast
The Xbox controller appears to have settled down and started to behave itself :) hopefully will stay that way!