Website designers? Parallax scrolling obscuration to prevent theft of 'complete' photographic images?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Q1. Developers, would this idea work?

My aim...

A one page point-of-contact website for my photography [Title, About, very few photos, Contact, links to social media. That's it].

Every photo would never be on screen in it's entirety. Scrolling down would make another image or text fade in above, before the main photo completes, obscuring all or part of the photo (beneath?) at the critcal moment of reveal. A mouse driven fade to black possibly too?

Q2. What to ask a developer for to acheive this?
Q3. I am guessing Wix, Godaddy, and Squarespace won't offer this or am I wrong?

I am aware of these supporting options below but these can be avoided?
....using slideshows, adding copyright notices, adding watermarks, linking to PIXSY, DMCA, and/or Tyntinsight theft notification.

ragnar28

No it wouldn't really you can access developer console and find the direct image link. The problem is that in developer console every resource called it listed and made accessible to the browser this includes your images. The only way would be disable direct browsing of photos in directories to stop this. I have worked with a photographers website and really if you show it on the web there is a way to get it. Watermarking is really your only solid defence.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Watermarking is the only defense,

You might be able to do some bizarre thing by putting the image as a binary file and reconstituting it in the browser but still someone determined would be able to piece it back together

turbocool

It would stop the laziest picture stealer, it wont stop the most determined thief.

Someone with access to a 4K display can get a full view of your image and do a screenshot. It would be possible to take screenshots of sections of it on smaller screen and patch it into one file on an image editor.

I would suggest keeping an eye out on who has your pictures with a reverse image search and do cease and desist. Maybe if the pictures are worth protecting with money - use an anti picture stealingservice that monitors it for you.

ragnar28

Well i had sone a site for photography and if you are adamant enough even a watermark inserted unto a image wont work. We basically ended it with adding the watermark to the actual image offline and storing the real image in a separate folder this watermarked image would also be at a much lower resolution just enough for 800px wide whilst the real one was 4k. Other than that if its online in real form they can find it and steal it.

turbocool

Even with a watermark, how do you protect it from being stolen for use by a third party? Do you put watermark all over the image like the way stock images websites do? That ruins it for legitimate viewers. If you watermarket a corner, the image can be stolen by cropping out the watermark.