Vyper Series 17.3" for gaming and work ~£1500

j_ly08

Hi,

I have opted for the Vyper laptop (please suggest another if better), I plan to use it on a mount tray plus a monitor so its sort of dual monitor configuration. I did not go for the recoil because of how big it is (I need to bring this to work without looking too "game-y"). I need it for gaming+VR and for work. For work, I need it for to run several VMs hence the large RAM too, I have another M.2 SSD so ignore the lack of hard disk space. With that out of the way, I can't decide between the GPUs, what are the some performance/FPS/percentage differences between the two. I do not think these are max-qs, and surprisingly, I cannot find a video comparing the two. With that in mind, I just need some validation before making a big purchase like this:

1. 1. Should I go for the Vyper or another series? Defiance looks great but has RTX 2070 max-q rather than standard, since money is not an issue here, I should therefore stick with Vyper.
  2. 2. Should I go for RTX 2070 vs RTX 2070 SUPER - I have read that SUPER requires more power to be pulled and I am not sure if manual overclocking is required. If so, what are the expected percentage increase should I expect? If not, should I go for RTX 2060? On other models such as eluktronics, it forces you to get a 240hz display, I'm wondering if there are any other factor at play in why PCS is not doing that.
  3. 3. The specs are below, please let me know what you think.

Chassis & Display
Vyper Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Vyper Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.1 PORTS
Keyboard Language
VYPER 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang GM7MPHP (8GB RTX-2070 SUPER, i7-10875H, 144Hz, Blank KB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Price: £1,623.00 including VAT and Delivery

Last edited:

maha

Silver Level Poster
I would have chosen a 256GB m.2 SAMSUNG (fastest the OS disk is better), 128GB is a little small for W10 and apps, or Linux 128GB is good
Have you tried a config with Optimus Pro 17"? the Ryzen 4800h is as fast as the 10875h for less money but no RTX 2070 only RTX 2060 REFRESH

It depends what VR you're using - Vyper has no Displayport (and the T3 seems to run through integrated graphics, rather than the NVidia) so it limits you to the older HDMI VR models or the Oculus Quest (as it runs through a USB 3 port). I have the 15.6" and that's where my research got me to - but I've never actually tried VR so can't 100% confirm about the T3. Buyer beware though!

I have the 2070 Super - I think the difference is around 10% in benchmarks, I thought it was worth it to squeeze another year out of the machine before needing to upgrade. But I think either would do the job well.

j_ly08

It depends what VR you're using - Vyper has no Displayport (and the T3 seems to run through integrated graphics, rather than the NVidia) so it limits you to the older HDMI VR models or the Oculus Quest (as it runs through a USB 3 port). I have the 15.6" and that's where my research got me to - but I've never actually tried VR so can't 100% confirm about the T3. Buyer beware though!

I have the 2070 Super - I think the difference is around 10% in benchmarks, I thought it was worth it to squeeze another year out of the machine before needing to upgrade. But I think either would do the job well.

Shoot, that is a very good point, thanks for pointing that out. I think the lack of mini display port has got me to switch to Defiance although it is the max q variant.

Charlas

Enthusiast

The Thunderbolt 3 runs through whichever gpu is in use, in bios you can enable disable each manually, and I get 100+ fps in stuff on my 1440p display through tb doc, with 0% usage on the integrated gpu.

The Vyper 17 I have so far I love, yes wish it had a dp as well, however oculus uses hdmi anyhow, so that's OK, the HTC works just fine through the DP on the TB3 dock (although hardly use the HTC except for checking compatibility)

The keyboard takes some getting used to the layout. And speakers are OK at best, only real downsides I've found so far.

Thermals are pretty impressive I'd say, was worried the chassis wouldn't handle it, but after sorting out my Tb16 dell issues no problems to report.

The Thunderbolt 3 runs through whichever gpu is in use, in bios you can enable disable each manually, and I get 100+ fps in stuff on my 1440p display through tb doc, with 0% usage on the integrated gpu.

The Vyper 17 I have so far I love, yes wish it had a dp as well, however oculus uses hdmi anyhow, so that's OK, the HTC works just fine through the DP on the TB3 dock (although hardly use the HTC except for checking compatibility)

The keyboard takes some getting used to the layout. And speakers are OK at best, only real downsides I've found so far.

Thermals are pretty impressive I'd say, was worried the chassis wouldn't handle it, but after sorting out my Tb16 dell issues no problems to report.
Oh fantastic, thank you - the information I found seemed to indicate it wouldn't but will defer to your experience!

raygun57

Interesting to note that the 2070 Super on the Vyper will run at up to 150w, over the 115w stock configuration, on "Game" or "Turbo" mode. Bob of All Trades confirmed this for the Eluktronics version of this laptop and they brand this ability as Eluktroboost. Another competitor confirmed that this is common across all these Tongfang family of chassis (the Vyper 3 is a GM7MPHP chassis in 10875H 2070 Super configuration) and that this is setup by the manufacturer. Some resellers give this a marketing spin and some do not, but it is there. Because of this I think the 2070 Super is by far the pick of the GPU's for this chassis or indeed this current refreshed generation.

I have had mine for a week and not seen any of the issues that those who got early units from the "first batch" reported such as the loose touchpad or loose power brick kettle lead connection. I know that the resellers were urgently feeding back improvements to the ODM to try and address some of these and that the issues seem to have largely reduced with the "second batch". I agree with Charlas that the speakers are not stunning but they are ok for now until I acquire a decent set of noise-cancelling headphones. Others have raised the non-sensical placement of the webcam and the microphones. This is a non-issue for me as I only use the webcam for Microsoft Hello. But I can see that for those who intend to use the webcam heavily it would be a non-starter. Whether I can get white on the RGB for the keyboard backlighting is also a shoulder shrug from me. I don't think I will ever have the RGB on, and if I do then a solid blue would do it.

The upsides are the great looks of the unit and the blazing fast configuration of the components. I have been amazed at the thermal properties, under load, of the unit. The fan noise on max fans is pretty crazy, but it actually adds to the craziness of the moment seeing the performance cranking through the unit as I cackle manically in a vortex of speed, power draw and framerates.

Thon_Zebra

Interesting to note that the 2070 Super on the Vyper will run at up to 150w, over the 115w stock configuration, on "Game" or "Turbo" mode. Bob of All Trades confirmed this for the Eluktronics version of this laptop and they brand this ability as Eluktroboost. Another competitor confirmed that this is common across all these Tongfang family of chassis (the Vyper 3 is a GM7MPHP chassis in 10875H 2070 Super configuration) and that this is setup by the manufacturer. Some resellers give this a marketing spin and some do not, but it is there. Because of this I think the 2070 Super is by far the pick of the GPU's for this chassis or indeed this current refreshed generation.

I have had mine for a week and not seen any of the issues that those who got early units from the "first batch" reported such as the loose touchpad or loose power brick kettle lead connection. I know that the resellers were urgently feeding back improvements to the ODM to try and address some of these and that the issues seem to have largely reduced with the "second batch". I agree with Charlas that the speakers are not stunning but they are ok for now until I acquire a decent set of noise-cancelling headphones. Others have raised the non-sensical placement of the webcam and the microphones. This is a non-issue for me as I only use the webcam for Microsoft Hello. But I can see that for those who intend to use the webcam heavily it would be a non-starter. Whether I can get white on the RGB for the keyboard backlighting is also a shoulder shrug from me. I don't think I will ever have the RGB on, and if I do then a solid blue would do it.

The upsides are the great looks of the unit and the blazing fast configuration of the components. I have been amazed at the thermal properties, under load, of the unit. The fan noise on max fans is pretty crazy, but it actually adds to the craziness of the moment seeing the performance cranking through the unit as I cackle manically in a vortex of speed, power draw and framerates.
Did you get a 17" or 15" Vyper? Does the size of the chassis matter for the performance of the RTX 2070 super, saves a 100 bucks like?