USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD

Rich Took

Hi
The quote says 32GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD
What does the last bit mean?
Plus, can you confirm my laptop will have thunderbolt - it looks ambiguous but may not be?
And the Intel 32gb memory. Is this to optimise the SDD memories, or does it have its own function? Don't really know what it does.

Thanks

Rich

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi
The quote says 32GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD
What does the last bit mean?
Optane is basically a memoryt cache between your hard disk (HDD) and RAM. It's designed to hold the data you use most regularly so that you avoid the delay of having to read that data off the actual hard disk. Optane is of almost no benefit if your drive is a solid state disk (SSD) and so this is warning you not to select Optane if your configuration is all SSD.

Plus, can you confirm my laptop will have thunderbolt - it looks ambiguous but may not be?
And the Intel 32gb memory. Is this to optimise the SDD memories, or does it have its own function? Don't really know what it does.
If you post your full spec from the PCS configurator screen (got to the bottom and there is a link there to format it for popsting here) we can tell you whether it has Thuderbolt or not. Thuderbolt is basically super-fast USB-C.

If you're selecting 32GB or RAM, which is memoery, you need to know that you have some RAM hungry apps, like video editing, virtual machines, image editing etc. otherwise 16GB is plenty.

We need to see your full config first though. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd suggest posting your full prospective spec, your uses for the PC, and the budget for some feedback.

People can then make recommendations, including whether Optane makes sense for your system and needs. And of course, comment on Thunderbolt.