Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

evak2979

Hello everyone!

Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS

I noticed that under my Universal Series Bus Controllers, I have an Unknown USB device (Port reset failed)

Things I tried:
- Disconnect all my USB devices, uninstall, reboot. It's still there, without any USB plugged in.
- Reset my PC.
- Install all the drivers from my tech support page.

Nothing seems to work. I wonder if this affects my PC in any way; or if something is broken? Now and then an external SSD drive I have drops/freezes fast during high speed transfers, as an example.

Not sure if it's something internal connected to a USB (Not sure if this is even possible), or a driver I am missing?

Many thanks.
1.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unplug any usbs connected, even mouse etc.

Delete that usb entry in device manager

Reboot

Is it still an issue?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, everything disconnected.
Hmmm....

Thanks to @ubuysa for these, give both of these a try and see if you can identify what it relates to, may tell you which device caused the error, if not which controller the error is off of:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the help. Do these screenshots help? :)

View attachment 14553View attachment 14554
Yes, they do.

We could try troubleshooting, but tbh, the quickest way of confirming if the issue is hardware or software would be to reinstall windows (full reinstall, not a reset from within windows).

Install windows, then run all windows updates until they're all installed and all devices are configured. And then see if you've still got that mark.

It looks like it's a previous failed that's not clearing for whatever reason. I doubt it's actually causing any harm, but I would be annoyed by it, and I think, to be on the safe side, it's worth doing the reinstall.

If it is still there after a reinstall, I'd raise a support ticket with PCS. This is just in case it's an issue on the motherboard, last thing you want a year down the line or even worse, when you're warranty has expired, that all your USB ports suddenly fail related to this.

You can create a bootable Windows 10 USB from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've already done a full reset :( Thank you, I'll raise a support ticket with them as well :)
That's what I mean though, full reset won't cure any issues, it will replicate any that are in the image.

Only a full reinstall from scratch will produce a proper clean image.

evak2979

This is what I got from the other program:

[Port18] FailedEnumeration : Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

Is Port User Connectable: no
Is Port Debug Capable: yes
Companion Port Number: 0
Companion Hub Symbolic Link Name:
Protocols Supported:
USB 1.1: no
USB 2.0: no
USB 3.0: yes

---===>Device Information<===---

ConnectionStatus: FailedEnumeration
Current Config Value: 0x00 -> Device Bus Speed: SuperSpeed
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0
*!*ERROR: No open pipes!

===>Device Descriptor<===
*!*ERROR: bLength of 0 incorrect, should be 18
bLength: 0x00
bDescriptorType: 0x00
bcdUSB: 0x0000
bDeviceClass: 0x00
*!*ERROR: Device enumeration failure

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The best thing to do is to find out what device it actually is. Right-click on the unknown device and select Properties. Click the Details tab and expand the drop down 'Property' menu and select Hardware Ids. You'll see entries that look something like this:
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5392&SUBSYS_53921814&REV_00 and these help identify the device. What you want are the VEN (vendor) and DEV (device) identifiers, in my example the VEN is 1814 and the DEV is 5392 so to find out what device that is do a web search on VEN_1814&DEV_5392. You'll come across many sites offering a driver download, ignore those. What you're looking for is a description of what that device is and what make it is, then you can visit the vendor's website and download the right driver for it.

If you have problems post the VEN and DEV identifiers here and I'll have a look for you. :)

evak2979

The best thing to do is to find out what device it actually is. Right-click on the unknown device and select Properties. Click the Details tab and expand the drop down 'Property' menu and select Hardware Ids. You'll see entries that look something like this:
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5392&SUBSYS_53921814&REV_00 and these help identify the device. What you want are the VEN (vendor) and DEV (device) identifiers, in my example the VEN is 1814 and the DEV is 5392 so to find out what device that is do a web search on VEN_1814&DEV_5392. You'll come across many sites offering a driver download, ignore those. What you're looking for is a description of what that device is and what make it is, then you can visit the vendor's website and download the right driver for it.

If you have problems post the VEN and DEV identifiers here and I'll have a look for you. :)

Thank you for trying to help me :)

Unfortunately, all there is under Hardware IDs is : USB\RESET_FAILURE

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Then Windows doesn't see any device on that port
Thank you for trying to help me :)

Unfortunately, all there is under Hardware IDs is : USB\RESET_FAILURE
Then Windows is not seeing a device on that port at all. I just noticed the output you posted earlier that shows the device failed enumeration which is why Windows sees no device. There would appear to be some sort of conflict with the USB ports you have and the number Windows thinks you have.

Go into Device Manager and click the View tab, then click Show Hidden Devices from the drop-down menu. Expand the following sections in turn and uninstall every entry that is greyed out....

Audio Inputs and Outputs
Disk Drives
Human Interface Devices
Imaging Devices
Keyboards
Mice and Other Pointing Devices
Portable Devices
Printers
Universal Serial Bus Controllers

...and then reboot.

If that doesn't help go back into Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and uninstall ever single entry in there. Then reboot.

If that doesn't help then I think SpyderTracks' suggestion of a completely clean install of Windows from bootable media (NOT the Windows Reset feature) is the best option. When you install Windows ensure that nothing is plugged in anywhere, run Windows Update afterwards until no more updates are found and only once that's completed check whether Device Manager still shows that failed USB device. If it does then I agree that a call to PCS is required. :)

evak2979

Then Windows doesn't see any device on that port

Then Windows is not seeing a device on that port at all. I just noticed the output you posted earlier that shows the device failed enumeration which is why Windows sees no device. There would appear to be some sort of conflict with the USB ports you have and the number Windows thinks you have.

Go into Device Manager and click the View tab, then click Show Hidden Devices from the drop-down menu. Expand the following sections in turn and uninstall every entry that is greyed out....

Audio Inputs and Outputs
Disk Drives
Human Interface Devices
Imaging Devices
Keyboards
Mice and Other Pointing Devices
Portable Devices
Printers
Universal Serial Bus Controllers

...and then reboot.

If that doesn't help go back into Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and uninstall ever single entry in there. Then reboot.

If that doesn't help then I think SpyderTracks' suggestion of a completely clean install of Windows from bootable media (NOT the Windows Reset feature) is the best option. When you install Windows ensure that nothing is plugged in anywhere, run Windows Update afterwards until no more updates are found and only once that's completed check whether Device Manager still shows that failed USB device. If it does then I agree that a call to PCS is required. :)

Hello again :)
I've done a full clean install with nothing plugged in from a USB device, and the problem still persists. I'll contact PCS through a ticket and link this thread to them.
Thank you both kindly for the help :)

evak2979

So while I am waiting to find out from PCS (I've updated them), a friend of mine suggested I make sure my memory card reader works - and it doesn't. I've inserted a card to no avail.
So it may be that it's broken, hardware wise, or I don't have the right driver?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So while I am waiting to find out from PCS (I've updated them), a friend of mine suggested I make sure my memory card reader works - and it doesn't. I've inserted a card to no avail.
So it may be that it's broken, hardware wise, or I don't have the right driver?
Did you order with windows or without?

The driver should be in the downloads section on the main PCS site.