Surge Protection Issue.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Many years ago I bought a 'Smart' surge protection multi-socket.
The 'Smart' bit is, it has a master socket. When whatever is plugged into the master socket is switched off, it cuts the power to all the peripheral sockets.
In my case, the computer is plugged into the master socket. All the peripherals which need the computer for input/output are plugged into the secondary sockets.

My issue is, my fancy new computer doesn't use enough power, at tick-over, to trip the smart switch.
It does once it has some work to do, like downloading and installing a game, or playing a game, that's enough to trip the switch. But just general web surfing, watching youtube videos etc, isn't.
I had my monitor, speakers, printer, web cam, desk lamp plugged into it, but have had to transfer them to another multi-socket.
This is a pain in the neck tbh. Only my computer is surge protected now, for one thing.
Another pain is, this is on a chain of two other extension/multi sockets. Yes, I know, the only major power user is my computer. The only things plugged into the other multi-sockets are chargers and my router/wi-fi hub, I'm definitely not overloading my wall socket. There isn't another closer wall socket which I could use, unless I run the cable across a door way, which is even less desirable.
So I'm wondering what your opinions are on the best surge protection sockets?
I've had a look on fleabay/amazon. Wi-fi controlled smart sockets look ok, but I'm not certain they fit the bill really.
Ideally, what I'm after is the same as I've got. A master socket that switches off everything else, but with a lower threshold to trip the switch.

Any ideas? If there isn't anything that fits my desires, what would you recommend?

dogbot

Bright Spark
Many years ago I bought a 'Smart' surge protection multi-socket.
The 'Smart' bit is, it has a master socket. When whatever is plugged into the master socket is switched off, it cuts the power to all the peripheral sockets.
In my case, the computer is plugged into the master socket. All the peripherals which need the computer for input/output are plugged into the secondary sockets.

My issue is, my fancy new computer doesn't use enough power, at tick-over, to trip the smart switch.
It does once it has some work to do, like downloading and installing a game, or playing a game, that's enough to trip the switch. But just general web surfing, watching youtube videos etc, isn't.
I had my monitor, speakers, printer, web cam, desk lamp plugged into it, but have had to transfer them to another multi-socket.
This is a pain in the neck tbh. Only my computer is surge protected now, for one thing.
Another pain is, this is on a chain of two other extension/multi sockets. Yes, I know, the only major power user is my computer. The only things plugged into the other multi-sockets are chargers and my router/wi-fi hub, I'm definitely not overloading my wall socket. There isn't another closer wall socket which I could use, unless I run the cable across a door way, which is even less desirable.
So I'm wondering what your opinions are on the best surge protection sockets?
I've had a look on fleabay/amazon. Wi-fi controlled smart sockets look ok, but I'm not certain they fit the bill really.
Ideally, what I'm after is the same as I've got. A master socket that switches off everything else, but with a lower threshold to trip the switch.

Any ideas? If there isn't anything that fits my desires, what would you recommend?
I have never thought of surge protection in the way you do. My extension lead has a thermal fuse which shuts off the whole supply if the input is overloaded. For instance, in the case of a lightning strike or stray russian rocket. Of course it is always best to unplug at the wall if surge conditions are expected.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I have never thought of surge protection in the way you do. My extension lead has a thermal fuse which shuts off the whole supply if the input is overloaded. For instance, in the case of a lightning strike or stray russian rocket. Of course it is always best to unplug at the wall if surge conditions are expected.
It has that surge protection as well.
This was just one I saw, when I was looking for a normal, thermal fuse type, surge protection socket.
It had the added benefit of switching everything off and on, when I switched off/on my computer.
It also has ports for telephone cable connections and ethernet cables. So it's clearly intended for computer usage
The master socket itself must switch to standby, and have a small voltage/wattage use when it's switched off, so it knows when the main user socket is switched back on. But that would be much lower usage than everything being switched to standby, as it is now, until I switch each individual thing off.
I can replace it with a standard, switchable, surge protection socket. I was simply wondering if anyone knew of a similar 'smart' socket, with a lower power demand threshold.

It's very frustrating. It really is just not quite enough demand. When streaming a YouTube video, I guess it comes down the line in sections. While that 'section' is being decoded my speakers come on, enough power demand. Once the decoding is done they go off again. 5 seconds with sound, 5 minutes no sound. So I directed sound output to my monitor speakers, but they're not really loud enough. Fine most of the time, but if the person is whispering it's difficult to hear. I need my forward facing speakers rather than the backwards facing monitor speakers. Besides, I've got a decent set of 2:1 speakers, I want them on rather than the less than optimal monitor speakers. That's why I bought the speaker system in the first place :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It has that surge protection as well.
This was just one I saw, when I was looking for a normal, thermal fuse type, surge protection socket.
It had the added benefit of switching everything off and on, when I switched off/on my computer.
It also has ports for telephone cable connections and ethernet cables. So it's clearly intended for computer usage
The master socket itself must switch to standby, and have a small voltage/wattage use when it's switched off, so it knows when the main user socket is switched back on. But that would be much lower usage than everything being switched to standby, as it is now, until I switch each individual thing off.
I can replace it with a standard, switchable, surge protection socket. I was simply wondering if anyone knew of a similar 'smart' socket, with a lower power demand threshold.

It's very frustrating. It really is just not quite enough demand. When streaming a YouTube video, I guess it comes down the line in sections. While that 'section' is being decoded my speakers come on, enough power demand. Once the decoding is done they go off again. 5 seconds with sound, 5 minutes no sound. So I directed sound output to my monitor speakers, but they're not really loud enough. Fine most of the time, but if the person is whispering it's difficult to hear. I need my forward facing speakers rather than the backwards facing monitor speakers. Besides, I've got a decent set of 2:1 speakers, I want them on rather than the less than optimal monitor speakers. That's why I bought the speaker system in the first place :D
On something like that I'd be surprised if that idling wattage wasn't adjustable?

It seems remarkably high currently, there's not a lot that would constantly provide over what a PC would idling for sustained periods.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I have no idea how this surge strip works but sounds over complicated to me!
The surge bit is seperate.
This is like a switched surge multi-socket, but instead of a manual switch that you operate, it does that bit for you.

On something like that I'd be surprised if that idling wattage wasn't adjustable?

It seems remarkably high currently, there's not a lot that would constantly provide over what a PC would idling for sustained periods.
I've had it for about 10 years, probably longer nearer 15. I doubt the switching wattage threshold is adjustable, I can't see anything which might do that.
It's most likely that, after being in use for 10+ years, it needs replacing. Simply old age.
Strangely, after all this, the peripheral sockets now appear to be powered up, the light on the socket says so anyway.
Old age and it needed a rest ??? 😁
I'll keep an eye on it this evening and see if it stays on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's most likely that, after being in use for 10+ years, it needs replacing. Simply old age.
Ah, yeah, if it's 10 years old, that's definitely likely by the sounds of it. PCs even at idle put out quite substantial watts.

The only other thing, it's not that the PC is going into hibernation when it's not used, it's definitely on and screens are active? By default PC's will hibernate after a period (say 15) minutes of inactivity, this powers it off entirely.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I'll keep an eye on it this evening and see if it stays on.
It didn't stay on :(
Looking at Armoury Crate, it's drawing around 40 Watts. That's only a dim light bulb, but it should be more than enough to trip the power demand threshold. I think it must just be old age, and coincidental to the new computer, which may well draw less than the old one at tickover, but not that much less.

Definitely not Hibernating. I always disable that. Sleep, or powered down deliberately. I don't want it switching off when I go to make a coffee, possibly make a sandwich or whatever else. Then come back to a switched off computer and have to wait for a reboot. Not that rebooting takes long, especially now, but having to find where you were in whatever you were doing. It's like forgetting to put a page marker in a book you're reading, it takes a few minutes to find where you were. Kindles are great for that :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It didn't stay on :(
Looking at Armoury Crate, it's drawing around 40 Watts. That's only a dim light bulb, but it should be more than enough to trip the power demand threshold. I think it must just be old age, and coincidental to the new computer, which may well draw less than the old one at tickover, but not that much less.

Definitely not Hibernating. I always disable that. Sleep, or powered down deliberately. I don't want it switching off when I go to make a coffee, possibly make a sandwich or whatever else. Then come back to a switched off computer and have to wait for a reboot. Not that rebooting takes long, especially now, but having to find where you were in whatever you were doing. It's like forgetting to put a page marker in a book you're reading, it takes a few minutes to find where you were. Kindles are great for that :D
I'd say it's kaput, 40w is quite a load, most LED bulbs these days are more like 10W max brightness.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I'd say it's kaput, 40w is quite a load, most LED bulbs these days are more like 10W max brightness.
If I remember right, Volts x Amps = Watts. 240v x A = 40 Watts, = 6 Amps.
6 Amps should be more than enough to trip the power demand threshold of my knackered smart multi-socket.
6 Amps is enough to do more than light your eyes up. I think milleamps are enough to kill you, at 240v.

Also, if I remember right, a transformer makes no difference.
To get 40 Watts at a lower voltage, the Amps will increase at the same ratio as the voltage is decreased (ignoring slight losses of transforming).
That's why we use very high voltage in the national grid, to get lower Amps, which can be carried by smaller diameter wires, for the same power. Which never actually made sense to me. This is from my shakey memory from physics, at high school, 50 😲 years ago.
By 'eck lad, it's a long time ago, and comes as a surprise when you work it out. I was thinking 40 years ago initially, which is still quite a long time, then realised that my daughter is 40(+) so it must be 50 😲 😲

Bhuna50

Author Level
Have you tried plugging something else in it - like your lamp - to see if that trips the others to be working.

If you always put your lamp on when you are on your computer, then just leave that as you main trigger...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I used to live aboard a sailing yacht, and sailors have a saying; "one rope, one job". Its actually a good maxim for many things.

In your case, a surge protector is there to protect your equipment from power surges. Asking it to do a second job is a mistake IMO - "one rope, one job". Personally, I would choose a surge protector that was certain to protect my PC and anything else plugged into it from power surges, and I would seek an alternative means of switching everything else off when the PC shuts down - even if it's as basic as switching off the extension for example. Keep things simple.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I used to live aboard a sailing yacht, and sailors have a saying; "one rope, one job". Its actually a good maxim for many things.

In your case, a surge protector is there to protect your equipment from power surges. Asking it to do a second job is a mistake IMO - "one rope, one job". Personally, I would choose a surge protector that was certain to protect my PC and anything else plugged into it from power surges, and I would seek an alternative means of switching everything else off when the PC shuts down - even if it's as basic as switching off the extension for example. Keep things simple.
That's what I've got now. A multi-socket / surge protection, with a manual switch :)

This is what I had. After about 10 - 15 years, the auto-switch off has broken down :(
One click intellipanel. This one is no longer available, but they do a 6 socket version.
I've never had a problem with power surges, as far as I know. But then, I've had this in between mains wall socket and computer.

I'm the opposite to you @ubuysa, I've always loved multi-purpose gadgets. It has to be practical and useful to me, I don't buy multi-purpose gadgets just because they're multi-purpose :D Possibly from living in a very restricted space, in my case, a trucks cab. But also, as a soldier, the less weight to carry the better. So a multi-purpose thing which would do several jobs, is better than several individual items.

Last edited:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Have you tried plugging something else in it - like your lamp - to see if that trips the others to be working.

If you always put your lamp on when you are on your computer, then just leave that as you main trigger...
I considered that @Bhuna50 , but that kinda defeats the object of a One Touch thingummy. I'd probably still have to power up my computer itself, as well as switching on whatever I used as a trigger. The object of this is - when you power off or put your computer to sleep, everything else is powered down. On powering up, or waking up your computer, so is everything else. One Touch.
It's no great hardship, switching on 2 items. But after realising there was probably an age related problem with it. I decided that if the switch was done, the surge protection side was probably questionable too. So I've replaced it with a more basic panel. Surge protector with a manual on/off switch :)