SPEC Review: Already Paid and it has been Shipped, overwhelmingly excited, reviews welcome to tide me over!

Leonbow

Howdy!

Ross here, I have not had a new gaming PC since the 960 came out so. Any thoughts on the specs here? Have never tried AMD for CPUs before but I have heard great things honestly.

Looking to use this for video editing, streaming and gaming. Fairly certain this will do the trick, but advice on any obvious bottlenecks are welcome.

Feedback welcome and any advice on upgrading this rig in the future would be welcome. I have this Monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017DG09WM?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image on the way so hopefully that will do a good job :)

Case
PCS SR-628B RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
512GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Often better to ask for advice before going ahead with the purchase :)

The case isn't a great choice for such high end hardware. I would always advocate a better case for a high end system.

The ROG strix is huge overkill. The standard X570 board is feature rich, has great VRMs and is more than capable.

With the RAM, 3200Mhz should be the default selection. You want it as fast as you can get it. RGB is an option as well, if that's your thing.

For storage an M2 drive would have been recommended. Shame to have such a high end system limited by the SATA connection. Modern M2 drives are up to 10 times faster than SATA.

550W TXm has you just about covered power wise but there can't be a lot of headroom there IMO. I would have went for the RMx 750 so that you have a nice headroom and also for the advanced features that come with the RMx series (Zero fan, high end capacitors, fully modular, etc).

The 3900X is a very hot chip. If you put the 12c/24t to full use I don't think the FrostFlow is going to have enough chill to keep your boost clocks running for extended periods. I would always recommend at least the H100i RGB platinum, often favouring the H115i where it fits in the case. With either Corsair selection the Arctic paste is irrelevant so that's £9 or so towards the actual cooler.

The Wifi card isn't really much cop for use on Wifi. It's fine for the odd connection where you use LAN most of the time but other than that it's a waste of a PCI-e slot. I would recommend upgrading to the AX200 when you get a chance.

Leonbow

Often better to ask for advice before going ahead with the purchase :)

The case isn't a great choice for such high end hardware. I would always advocate a better case for a high end system.

The ROG strix is huge overkill. The standard X570 board is feature rich, has great VRMs and is more than capable.

With the RAM, 3200Mhz should be the default selection. You want it as fast as you can get it. RGB is an option as well, if that's your thing.

For storage an M2 drive would have been recommended. Shame to have such a high end system limited by the SATA connection. Modern M2 drives are up to 10 times faster than SATA.

550W TXm has you just about covered power wise but there can't be a lot of headroom there IMO. I would have went for the RMx 750 so that you have a nice headroom and also for the advanced features that come with the RMx series (Zero fan, high end capacitors, fully modular, etc).

The 3900X is a very hot chip. If you put the 12c/24t to full use I don't think the FrostFlow is going to have enough chill to keep your boost clocks running for extended periods. I would always recommend at least the H100i RGB platinum, often favouring the H115i where it fits in the case. With either Corsair selection the Arctic paste is irrelevant so that's £9 or so towards the actual cooler.

The Wifi card isn't really much cop for use on Wifi. It's fine for the odd connection where you use LAN most of the time but other than that it's a waste of a PCI-e slot. I would recommend upgrading to the AX200 when you get a chance.

Thanks so much :) Yeah I chatted to support who said it would do the job, but this is all awesome advice. Ill keep it mind when I go for upgrade later this year!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Forum enthusiasts will often have very differing opinions to the chat support :D

It's a monster system though, doubt you will need to be upgrading any time soon. I would hope not at least ;)

Leonbow

For sure!
No worries to them, I am sure it will do just fine if not MORE than fine :) Happy with everything I have seen and cannot wait to play with frames more than 30 on anything :)

Thank you again for the reply, ya monster :p

Leonbow

Around Christmas/January I will upgrade whatever is a bottleneck to performance. Although Upgrading the case is also an option.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'll be amazed if you notice a "bottle neck" with that system. Sure, it could be more efficient.... but it's going to be an absolute rocket.

Leonbow

I'll be amazed if you notice a "bottle neck" with that system. Sure, it could be more efficient.... but it's going to be an absolute rocket.
I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that... even if I knew it already. Savage, thanks again!
Shall look at new cases at the very least, but the current one coming does not look too bad :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that... even if I knew it already. Savage, thanks again!
Shall look at new cases at the very least, but the current one coming does not look too bad :)

It's not the look unfortunately. It's the ability of it to circulate fresh air in and warm air out (heat) while not over-working the fans (noise).

If you look at the front of that particular case it appears to be completely sealed off at the front. This suggests that the air needs to either be drawn in from the slither at either side of the front perspex cover (looks like louvres or something), or in through the bottom of the front panel. Neither is even remotely ideal and will work the fans pretty hard to get any sort of flow..... and the flow won't be even.

The sides of the case are completely closed off but the top looks as if it may be vented.

All the PCS specific cases are pretty much unknown to us to be honest. They aren't reviewed and they aren't well known. We can only guess with the pictures on offer but I would always go with tried, tested and reviewed over what looks pretty with a build like this. I understand PCS need to promote their own branded merch and all but I wouldn't ever choose or recommend an unknown case for a system such as this.

When you're looking to swap the case out consider just about anything from the RGB Corsair lineup and consider a H100i or H115i RGB platinum at the same time ;)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
My advice would be to avoid upgrading things for the sake of it.

Upgrading can make you feel like you're getting the most out of your PC but frankly it means you're getting the least out of it. If what you have is still good enough in a year's time, don't upgrade it. Keep it for another year and then upgrade it once something properly better is out. Rather than buying the latest thing because you can.

Or else you'll just end up upgrading every year which is a wasteful financially, and also environmentally tbh.

As above, it's unlikely your CPU, GPU, etc will be letting the team down by January 2021! :)

I wish you better fortune with that monitor than I had! :D