Recoil 15 Questions

Serv

Hi,

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 5900HX/3070 Recoil 15 and had a few questions.

• Whats the BIOS and command centre software like? Do all Tongfang resellers get the same BIOS/command centre software and updates?

• Does the BIOS have XMP? I was thinking of using 3200mhz RAM as only 2933mhz is available from PCS. I know its not a huge difference in terms of real world performance but I have some leftover.

• How loud is the mechanical keyboard? I'd like to use it in class/library and am worried about the noise levels.

• Is there a MUX switch to disable Optimus?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Vergaro98

Super Star
I've the recoil with 5900hx and 3070.
1)Control center is the same that Tongfang offer without any modifications. For the updates I think they arrives directly from Tongfang and you can download from download section on your pcs account.
2)I think that 5900hx doesn't support the XMP because the management of the memory (infinity fabric). If there's a stick of ram at 2933Mhz and you force it at 3200 or similar the CPU runs it at the basic frequency. You can use XMP on Intel but not on Ryzen 5000.
3)I really like the mechanical keyboard, it's a bit loudy but not very much.
4)Yes, you can choose the Hybrid (where the system decided what to use, iGPU or dGPU) or dGPU only. It's a switch from general settings in the Control center.

Last edited:

Vergaro98

Super Star
It's very loudy, but to cooling the beasts inside it's acceptable. If you use a headphone you don't hear nothing, but without it's loudy.

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster
Hello Recoil 15 owners!

I'm thinking about buying this laptop too (with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX and RTX 3070).

I just have one question: is there an option to select iGPU Only in the BIOS?

This option is available on the PCS Ionico with an Intel CPU:

(under Advanced > Display Mode).

Does the Recoil (with AMD 5900HX and RTX 3070) have this option too (i.e. the ablity to select iGPU Only)?

Last edited:

Vergaro98

Super Star
You can switch between hybrid and d-gpu only, to my knowledge there is no i-gpu only options.
Maybe there is a switch in the BIOS (I don't know) but in the control center there isn't.

Last edited:

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster
You can switch between hybrid and d-gpu only, to my knowledge there is no i-gpu only options.
Maybe there is a switch in the BIOS (I don't know) but in the control center there isn't.

I won't be using Windows, so I only need to know if this option is available in the BIOS.

I wrote to PCS support today, and they said:

Second line tech support have confirmed this laptop would have iGPU settings in the BIOS followed by MSHybrid and GPU graphics.

Based on this, I placed an order for the Recoil 15.6 inch with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX and RTX 3070. Hopefully it'll be delievered next week. The first thing I'll do is check the BIOS (under ADVANCED > DISPLAY MODE) to see if there is an iGPU ONLY option available.