PS5 and XBox Series X

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have to agree, £450-£500 seems a bit low, especially considering the tech that's gone into them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are close to £700, or the other aspect is having a £500 ish price tag and making the games a lot more expensive, as if £50 wasn't enough.
The price has to be accounted for somewhere.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As I said before - loss leader. Higher price games/licences and subscriptions will pay for it. Not going to be more than £549 ($599) or it won't sell enough.
Any way you cut it, somethings going to be a lot more pricey than on previous generations.

slimbob

Enthusiast
As I said before - loss leader. Higher price games/licences and subscriptions will pay for it. Not going to be more than £549 ($599) or it won't sell enough.

Yes that makes sense to me it's not about making money on the initial sale like with electric toothbrushes the profit comes from the continuous purchase of replacement toothbrush heads that's were the profit is. I think same holds true here it is the after sale products that will make MS & Sony money. It will be interesting to see later this year you never know they may be £700 - £1000!!! But I just can't see it personally.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yes that makes sense to me it's not about making money on the initial sale like with electric toothbrushes the profit comes from the continuous purchase of replacement toothbrush heads that's were the profit is. I think same holds true here it is the after sale products that will make MS & Sony money. It will be interesting to see later this year you never know they may be £700 - £1000!!! But I just can't see it personally.

They also have to balance that if they price a console too high, people will just think "Hey...I can buy a PC for that amount!" Now, whether that would be a PC that could come close to the spec for the same money is doubtful of course, but there is a mindset that consoles are "cheap and cheerful" (relatively) compared to a computer that does more.

slimbob

Enthusiast
They also have to balance that if they price a console too high, people will just think "Hey...I can buy a PC for that amount!" Now, whether that would be a PC that could come close to the spec for the same money is doubtful of course, but there is a mindset that consoles are "cheap and cheerful" (relatively) compared to a computer that does more.

Yes I see what you mean, that makes sense.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is the same reviewer as above, I have no idea what his history of accurate reporting is like, but I quite like his presentation and he covers some interesting topics:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, there's this, personally, I just can't see this happening but thought I'd share it despite my prejudices, it's certainly an interesting viewpoint:

If this is the case, then absolutely no question, I'd buy the digital version just for exclusives, and my god there are some exceptional exclusives lined up.

nick_123

Silver Level Poster
Slightly off topic but it irks me that some of the titles set for release are going to be ‘next gen’ exclusives. I don’t play it myself but as an example, EA are planning to use the PS4 engine on the PC version of Fifa 2021. I totally get it but it’s really bloody irritating. Looks like I’ll have to get a PS5 at this rate.

robin h 25

I would rather pay more for the consoles and have the games be priced the same as they are now, than cheaper consoles and more expensive games,
Last thing i want, is to be spending £60 / £70 or £80 on a standard edition game to only...(In the words of Angry Joe) complete it in 4 HOURS!!!!.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Game prices are getting ridiculous now...the current game prices are, frankly, extortionate (especially when you consider how many games don't even come fully completed). It wouldn't surprise me if the consoles were cheaper and the games more expensive given the money is made on games rather than the consoles, especially when it's games with DLC content (how much money has GTAV brought in since it's release?)..
GTA has been a major cash cow on 3 generations now? Yeah, that one is in a league of its own.

robin h 25

I love the comment that Jay make at 17:50 - 18:10,
After seeing a number of videos on Youtube of these so called next gen console killers, from $/£500 PC’s builds,

The way i see it is, the next gen consoles are predominantly aimed at 4K gaming and yet these next gen consoles killer PC video's are only showing 1080p gaming performance (from the ones I’ve seen),

As far as I’m concerned, if these so called $/£500 PC’s next gen console killer builds can’t show 4K performance at a steady and stable 60fps, in my eyes, there not console killers unless they can match or better the 4K performance of the next gen consoles,
It’s never going to happen for a $/£500 PC build as of right now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Official Sony listings went live on Amazon Australia, currently showing "currently unavaialble" but suggests pricing is due imminently:

Also, unless it's just my PC, the main landing page on playstation.com isn't loading, I wonder if they're just awaiting the time to go live with pricing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Slightly off topic but it irks me that some of the titles set for release are going to be ‘next gen’ exclusives. I don’t play it myself but as an example, EA are planning to use the PS4 engine on the PC version of Fifa 2021. I totally get it but it’s really bloody irritating. Looks like I’ll have to get a PS5 at this rate.
My personal opinion is completely boycott anything EA, they've completely killed most decent IP's, and are responsible for shameless in game currencies and upskills.

They're a hack company, only interested in profits over gamer satisfaction. They should be boycotted where possible.

nick_123

Silver Level Poster
My personal opinion is completely boycott anything EA, they've completely killed most decent IP's, and are responsible for shameless in game currencies and upskills.

They're a hack company, only interested in profits over gamer satisfaction. They should be boycotted where possible.

Yes, i am quickly reaching that conclusion. To be fair, most of their games are fairly poor representations of whatever they're trying to do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, i am quickly reaching that conclusion. To be fair, most of their games are fairly poor representations of whatever they're trying to do.
The only one that I want is Jedi Fallen Order, but that's now on Epic Store, so at least I don't have to buy it on Origin.

EA have been so heavily customer bashed that they're having to return to Steam, they've been on Origin exclusively, their own platform, for 14 years now but in recent years, since their calamity mess up of Star Wars Battlefront, they've lost loads of business.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Elephant in room...

Not sure who’s keeping up with all this but a couple of days ago, Microsoft did their big games reveal for the Xbox series x... and people are understandably a little worried.

They showcased a few top tier games... most of it was cinematic trailer style stuff, ie not actual gameplay, which annoyed people. And then.... and theeeeennnnnn.... they showcased Halo: Infinite gameplay.... which is their most important IP.... and there were screams, tears, divorces, and general abandonment from all those 40 somethings looking for the ultimate final closure to their favourite kiddy franchise.

Basically, it looked poor, I would go so far as to say really poor considering the series x has quite considerably more gpu horsepower under the hood (roughly 2080 Super vs PS5’s 2070 Super). No different from Xbox one imho.

3 schools of thought:

1. MS are pulling the ultimate marketing stunt and on release the lighting and particle effects and textures will be simply stunning even on 4k?

2. Developers are still working on the games??? I’m putting a sure fire no to that one, not at this late stage.

3. MS really did completely underestimate Sony with what they’d be capable of.

Now I’m not biased to one platform or another at all. I’ve had both consoles in the past although stopped console gaming decades ago as soon as I found PC. I personally think PS have better exclusive IP’s but that’s not to say there aren’t some great ones on Xbox either. But imho, Naughty Dog are hands down the best studio on the planet at the moment.

BUT, you balance this with PS showcase where the entire thing was primarily in game footage, and just referring to Ratchet &Clank as an example of what everyone is expecting of next gen:

Look at the lighting, the shadows, the particles, not to mention the seamless shift from level to level through portals. There's no doubt, the lighting and shading is full Ray Tracing. Look closer at the Halo gameplay, it's all prebaked.

Compare the two???! It’s pretty clear who’s on top atm in peoples eyes.

Did Sony lie through their teeth and actually none of that footage was in game? I doubt it.

Sony have no doubt done very clever things with the storage controller, they pioneered BluRay, they definitely have the chops to make those graphics a reality. Are Xbox going for frame rate over visuals, if so, isn’t a pc better for that?

I'm at a loss. This is the most perplexing next gen release of any generation as far as I can tell.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: