Paint 3D in Windows10, stolen my JPEGS from Photoshop. Advice?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
New PC with Windows 10 bloatware Paint 3D.

Set all file associations in Windows 10 to use the latest PhotoshopCC including jpegs.

Open a jpeg and...

It launches in Paint 3D.

WHAT?!

The uninstall button for Paint 3D is greyed out btw.

Tried a remove fix from the web using PowerShell admin but it didn't work.

Suggestions?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Right-click, open with.

Google resetting file type associations in Windows 10.

If you're so anti-win 10 just swap to Linux and Gimp

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Right-click > Open with > Choose another app > Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 + Always use this app to open .jpeg files.

Works fine once in Photoshop.

Launch same file again....it forgets Photoshop and goes straight back to Paint 3D.

"Google resetting file type associations in Windows 10." sorry this makes no sense to me, what are you suggesting?

Swapping to an entirely different operating system based on this one request seems extreme and hugely expensive.

Problem remains.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Admin_Windows_Powershell.jpg

Screengrab above from two unsuccessful attempts to use the PowerShell to remove the program app [Note Paint 3D was formerly MSPaint apparently].

So hours later I still have the same problem after trying options 1 >3 so far. All I want is to have Photoshop CC 2019 open any picture I click on. How do I stop Windows Paint 3D from hijacking this operation. I can't right click extra tasks for the next six years.

I expected many users here to be up in arms about this; a program that has no uninstall option!!!!! And most solutions are based on it HAVING an uninstall option.

:taz:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
View attachment 12225

Hours later I still have the same problem after trying options 1 >3 so far. All I want is have Photoshop CC 2019 open any picture I click on. How do I stop Windows Paint 3D from hijacking this operation. I can't right click extra tasks for the next six years.

I expected many to be up in arms about this here. This program that has no uninstall option!!!!! And most solutions are based on it HAVING an uninstall option.

Note it was formerly MSPaint.

In the upcoming update I believe they are adding the ability to fully remove any app without it auto downloading again, should be released within a couple of weeks although they are dragging their heels a bit.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Before I go nuts, I really should thank Oussebon for helping with suggestions (again - what a star in this forum) and SpyderTracks who may have given me some hope too ;-)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Most solutions I found online are based on it not having an uninstall option - some apps do, some apps don't, and as you've seen this is one that doesn't. Most actual solutions to 3D Paint involve powershell.

If you do solution 3 in that article, it will still reinstall Paint 3D the next time you try to use it (even inadvertently). Solution 4 should stop this. However, I tried it in my Windows 1803 install and it didn't work, apparently because MS 'fixed' it so you couldn't do that... thanks, MS.

I found a workaround to that very quickly, but the downside was that it then disables in-place upgrades for Windows 10. Which would be a deal-breaker for most users... especially as you'll need that feature to upgrade to 1809 which has the feature you want. (are we sure Paint 3D is an app it will let us remove? Maybe someone who has 1809 can check?)

So yeah, all I had left after that was Ask MS I'm afraid :/

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
You successfully persuaded me to ask MS. I giggle because this takes skill to persude me, well done!

So, what was found? Well, reportedly there is a known file association bug in the current Windows 10 build that they are hoping to fix soon. Plus, I find others have complained about the lack of an app uninstall and tried PowerShell Admin.

No clear solution at this point. I would hope to report back here if I find one.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You successfully persuaded me to ask MS. I giggle because this takes skill to persude me, well done!

So, what was found? Well, reportedly there is a known file association bug in the current Windows 10 build that they are hoping to fix soon. Plus, I find others have complained about the lack of an app uninstall and tried PowerShell Admin.

No clear solution at this point. I would hope to report back here if I find one.

By 'current Windows 10' do you mean 1803 or (the currently pulled) 1809? I'm running 1803 (the April 2018 update) and I've experienced no issues at all with file associations. Could it be that you have 1809 on your PC...?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Used Winver and I do have 1803 (OS Build 17134.345).

Importantly, today I found the MS response on the Feedback Hub,...upvoted way above other queries ;-)

I will add a screengrab here that says MS hope to return the uninstall option in version 19H1.
Windows_Feedback_Hub.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Used Winver and I do have 1803 (OS Build 17134.345).

Importantly, today I found the MS response on the Feedback Hub,...upvoted way above other queries ;-)

I will add a screengrab here that says MS hope to return the uninstall option in version 19H1.
View attachment 12226

See https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18262/#MYB3Py6QpMLwcU0p.97. Paint3D is one of the native apps you'll be able to uninstall.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You have tried the simple things first? Go to settings > Apps > Default Apps > Photo Viewer and make sure that's set to Photoshop.