Nova Series

• Thread starter Deleted member 94250
  • Start date

CptSaftig

I recently ordered one aswell. I went for the 3600 as well. Im so excited :D

in theory, will one be able to replace the GPU/CPU with a better one in the future? When new CPUs hit the market with more single core power and maybe the next gen of GPUs. Or is this architecture so specific, that new releases arent likely to fit?

that would make the current 3600 cpu even more attractive

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The CPU should be replaceable and modular. It's a customise-able chassis with desktop socket. It's unlikely to be a motherboard solder at this level.

The GPU would likely be an MXM variant so a pain to replace as it would be fairly chassis-specific. There's no guarantee the next gen would have the same connection or shape.

D

Deleted member 94250

The CPU should be replaceable and modular. It's a customise-able chassis with desktop socket. It's unlikely to be a motherboard solder at this level.

The GPU would likely be an MXM variant so a pain to replace as it would be fairly chassis-specific. There's no guarantee the next gen would have the same connection or shape.
Thanks for the correction

D

Deleted member 94250

Hi again guys.
So people think that the 65W TDP is a dealbreaker on this CPU:-

what could PCS do to convince them otherwise?

edit:- mods, Origin PC sells in USA only afaik so they aren't exactly competing with PCS. also the post talks about PCS being the FIRST guys to make a laptop with the 3950x with the nova. title designed for USA viewers but at the end of the day its promoting our good ol' PCS. i hope its allowed!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I genuinely think there's an ace in the hole somewhere.

I'm thinking of selling my Octane now as I think there's a 3900X Octane-Esque build coming pretty soon. I've always said that Desktop replacements need to be 17"... not for the screen, but for the cooling real estate.

The 3900X would be my maximum presumption in a laptop. The 3950x is in the same boat as the 9900K for me, it sounds great but it's unlikely to be anything but pub talk as far as performance goes. From day one I said the 9700K with a 2070 GPU would be the nirvana of laptop. For me this has only slightly shifted to the 3900X with the 2070 GPU.... but that "slight" shift, should make one hell of a performance jump if my mathemagics is correct.

D

Deleted member 94250

I'm thinking of selling my Octane now as I think there's a 3900X Octane-Esque build coming pretty soon. I've always said that Desktop replacements need to be 17"... not for the screen, but for the cooling real estate.

The 3900X would be my maximum presumption in a laptop. The 3950x is in the same boat as the 9900K for me, it sounds great but it's unlikely to be anything but pub talk as far as performance goes. From day one I said the 9700K with a 2070 GPU would be the nirvana of laptop. For me this has only slightly shifted to the 3900X with the 2070 GPU.... but that "slight" shift, should make one hell of a performance jump if my mathemagics is correct.
Okay. So, if understood you correctly, 3950x would actually take too large a performance hit, to the point of not really comparing to the desktop full fat, but the 12 core 3900's are a good choice?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Okay. So, if understood you correctly, 3950x would actually take too large a performance hit, to the point of not really comparing to the desktop full fat, but the 12 core 3900's are a good choice?

I don't think the 3950 is feasible. I genuinely don't. I love the idea of it on paper, but in practice I think it's as sensible in a 15" cut down chassis as the 9900k is in the Octane...... not very.

For me, the king of the pile is the 9700K with the 2070...... I have a feeling it may be about to get knocked off in every aspect. I can't wait for the reviews!

Stephen M

Author Level
Agree with Scott. Have got an Octane with the 8700K and that runs really well but that is as far as I would go with Intel, unless they bring in liquid nitrogen cooled laptops, then the Arsonist's Friend may be doable.

D

Deleted member 94250

Agree with Scott. Have got an Octane with the 8700K and that runs really well but that is as far as I would go with Intel, unless they bring in liquid nitrogen cooled laptops, then the Arsonist's Friend may be doable.
This might not be allowed as its competitor info, but PCS doesn't do it so I doubt it should matter. IF it does, please let me know mods!
so ASUS is going liquid metal cooling on ALL their ROG 10th gens. that's huge, they could keep pretty cool with something that conductive taking away heat.

CptSaftig

i also thought 17" would be better for the cooling, when i ordered my nova. That was part of the reason i did not go all out on the CPU. I was hoping the 3600 would be easier to cool an thus a 15" sufficient.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This might not be allowed as its competitor info, but PCS doesn't do it so I doubt it should matter. IF it does, please let me know mods!
so ASUS is going liquid metal cooling on ALL their ROG 10th gens. that's huge, they could keep pretty cool with something that conductive taking away heat.
The earlier IBM mainframes I worked on (the 3081 in particular) used thermal conduction modules (TCM) to contain the chips and to interface with the water cooling. Each TCM was filled with helium surrounding the chips and from memory each TCM could shift 2kw of heat. And that was 1980's technology.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's not a good thing though, it further highlights how poor Intel's chips are at thermals. Liquid metal is electrically conductive and corrosive, it needs to be replaced a lot more often than normal paste and I guarantee you'll see a lot more motherboard failures as a result of it being applied by default on home user gaming laptops, and while it does offer better heat dissipation, it's not designed just to get a processor to work in normal limits, it's designed for extreme overclocking.

Intel's 10th Gen chips are incredibly poor both in thermal performance and general performance. They can't maintain their boosts for long at all as there's almost zero thermal headroom, so whilst they make claims of 5.3GHz boosts, in real world terms, it's complete nonsense and performance is set to be lower than their 9th gen counterparts.

D

Deleted member 94250

The earlier IBM mainframes I worked on (the 3081 in particular) used thermal conduction modules (TCM) to contain the chips and to interface with the water cooling. Each TCM was filled with helium surrounding the chips and from memory each TCM could shift 2kw of heat. And that was 1980's technology.
Wow man you're really experienced in tech. You've been at this thing for a really really long time.
I'm just a 19 year old kid starting to learn about thermodynamics

D

Deleted member 94250

That's not a good thing though, it further highlights how poor Intel's chips are at thermals. Liquid metal is electrically conductive and corrosive, it needs to be replaced a lot more often than normal paste and I guarantee you'll see a lot more motherboard failures as a result of it being applied by default on home user gaming laptops, and while it does offer better heat dissipation, it's not designed just to get a processor to work in normal limits, it's designed for extreme overclocking.

Intel's 10th Gen chips are incredibly poor both in thermal performance and general performance. They can't maintain their boosts for long at all as there's almost zero thermal headroom, so whilst they make claims of 5.3GHz boosts, in real world terms, it's complete nonsense and performance is set to be lower than their 9th gen counterparts.
Intel is getting demolished.
Thanks for clearing the situation, I always thought cos liquid metal has like 20x thermal conductivity of arctic mx4 it's gonna be better overall.

Why does it matter about normal running vs extreme overclock?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Intel is getting demolished.
Thanks for clearing the situation, I always thought cos liquid metal has like 20x thermal conductivity of arctic mx4 it's gonna be better overall.

Why does it matter about normal running vs extreme overclock?
The point is that they’re having to apply liquid metal just for the chips to run normally, which is crazy. Liquid metal is an enthusiast product for a very small subset of people who are experts in overclocking. Applying it mainstream because it’s the only way to cool the chips is going to cause major breakages as people already don’t realise that performance laptops need maintenance, what’s it gonna be like when adding a tiny bit too much LM results in shorting components on the motherboard and eating through the substrate anyway, it’s going to be carnage. It’s the only answer to cool them, but it’s certainly not a viable answer for the mainstream.

D

Deleted member 94250

The point is that they’re having to apply liquid metal just for the chips to run normally, which is crazy. Liquid metal is an enthusiast product for a very small subset of people who are experts in overclocking. Applying it mainstream because it’s the only way to cool the chips is going to cause major breakages as people already don’t realise that performance laptops need maintenance, what’s it gonna be like when adding a tiny bit too much LM results in shorting components on the motherboard and eating through the substrate anyway, it’s going to be carnage. It’s the only answer to cool them, but it’s certainly not a viable answer for the mainstream.
Oh dear thatbsounda like a disaster waiting to happen.

Do us non-wackadoodle users who don't overclock like crazy also have to do this maintenance thing you're talking about? If so, how do we do it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh dear thatbsounda like a disaster waiting to happen.

Do us non-wackadoodle users who don't overclock like crazy also have to do this maintenance thing you're talking about? If so, how do we do it?
Any performance laptop needs to be opened about once a year and cleared of dust with compressed air, the heatsink fins are especially prone to build up, and the fan blades.

Every year and half depending on usage, you’ll need to repaste also, this you have to judge by thermals, just keep monitoring thermals every week or so, that’s the killer for any laptop.

D

Deleted member 94250

Any performance laptop needs to be opened about once a year and cleared of dust with compressed air, the heatsink fins are especially prone to build up, and the fan blades.

Every year and half depending on usage, you’ll need to repaste also, this you have to judge by thermals, just keep monitoring thermals every week or so, that’s the killer for any laptop.
Thank you for your advice.
I'm really clumsy and might lose the screws if I open my laptop, could I ask PCS to do it for a small fee?