Not having much luck this week

I'll happily take a "No Clue What I'm Doing" card from you. My family look on me as some sort of computing guru as I know how to do antivirus and anti-malware tests and replaced my uncle's hard drive and RAM once when it died. I'm largely just a beginner who knows how to Google things and muddle my way through. I've been fortunate that the last few PCS laptops I've had have never had any problems to show my parents that I don't really have a clue and I'm largely winging it!

Hoping clearing the CMOS as advised last night works when I give it a try this evening. If not, I'll be back here to see what other suggestions crop up.
the wait is killing me !!! https://ibb.co/VVDz4yv

1611234660347.png

if u have a m2 drive make sure the screw is locked

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll happily take a "No Clue What I'm Doing" card from you. My family look on me as some sort of computing guru as I know how to do antivirus and anti-malware tests and replaced my uncle's hard drive and RAM once when it died. I'm largely just a beginner who knows how to Google things and muddle my way through. I've been fortunate that the last few PCS laptops I've had have never had any problems to show my parents that I don't really have a clue and I'm largely winging it!

Hoping clearing the CMOS as advised last night works when I give it a try this evening. If not, I'll be back here to see what other suggestions crop up.
Mate, we’re all winging it as my very successful estate agent friend told me who was making 2% off multi million pound house sales ;)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Cleared the CMOS. Plugged everything back in, pressed the power button and watched the LEDs switch on, then switch off, in sequence as you'd expect. Except the white one stayed on again and nothing more happened. Waited a while and then pressed the power button and it instantly switched off as you'd expect as it hadn't finished booting.

Waited a few seconds and pressed the power button again, the LEDs all light up and went out, including the white one, followed by the green one lighting up, the BIOS screen came up where I re-enabled the RAM profile as the one thing I knew I needed to change and saved and re-started. The PC then booted up properly into Windows, so I went into iCue and started the firmware updates as mentioned on the previous page. A minute or two later, the screen switched off and told me there was no DP signal. I tapped the power button and it stayed switched on as clearly it was still in Windows and hadn't crashed.

What suggestions do you have for next steps? I'm happy to go right back to basics.

Theres a few claiming white light with same issue in technical forums ive counted 3 today all with ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING motherboard has pcs applied a bios update ? Summit seems a miss here !

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
In the world of the blind the one-eyed man is king.....
As someone with a visual impairment and who is functionally blind in one eye, your words are literally more true than you perhaps meant them to be! :ROFLMAO:

But yes the proverb is certainly true insofar as I know more than most around me about computers while still being largely clueless!

Theres a few claiming white light with same issue in technical forums ive counted 3 today all with ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING motherboard has pcs applied a bios update ? Summit seems a miss here !
You may be onto something. I half expect in my case I've not pushed the 2 part of the 6+2 adapter in fully or something daft like that, so the GPU doesn't have enough power! :ROFLMAO:

I just installed this same motherboard and a 3700X and had the same issue with a solid white VGA LED on the motherboard and a black screen.

I'll tell you what worked for me. I powered the system off and disconnected and removed the GPU (ZOTAC 1070) from the motherboard. Then I restarted the system with no GPU. This time the mobo LED's did not stop at the solid White. They continued to cycle - yellow, red, white and green. They did this several times and my Hard Drive also spun-up, so something more was able to occur with no GPU in the socket.

Finally the LED does go solid white because the system can't find any video display. Now power off and re-insert and connect the GPU as usual. Hopefully when you power up this time you get the same results that I did - no more issues. Found this post on similar issue somthing to try ?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm not sure that the issue in the thread is the one I'm having. I'm either getting the White LED staying on but the PC doesn't finish booting up, or the PC is booting up but then the screen goes black after a few minutes and I get the no DP signal message.

I'm not sure that the issue in the thread is the one I'm having. I'm either getting the White LED staying on but the PC doesn't finish booting up, or the PC is booting up but then the screen goes black after a few minutes and I get the no DP signal message.
I feel for you bud :( such a frustrating issue when I looked into other forums and tech help theres just so many threads on white light staying on with that motherboard :(

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
sounds silly but have you tried booting it up with just a hdmi cable in ?
Not silly at all - I hadn't tried that. All of the LEDs cycled through staying on for a few seconds, then it stuck with the white LED on, but no signal to the monitor. I switched it off again, disconnected the HDMI and put the DP back into one of the slots, it cycled through the LEDs, stayed on the white one and there were some identical beeps.

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I had a bad mental health weekend (stress due to the PC not working probably didn't help), so stepped from looking at it away entirely until this afternoon.

Following the video that @jamiephillips909 posted, I removed the GPU fully and ensured it was seated correctly (found that difficult as I'm used to working horizontally, but this tower is too heavy to put on its side, so having to work vertically!), and then connected the power leads properly. The PC booted up without any problems, so I set it to reboot and it booted up fine again, and I set it to restart again, and it was the third time that it failed to boot - the fact it was only booting occasionally made me want to pretty much stress test it by getting it to boot up a few times in quick succession.

I get the feeling any one of you could probably have this sorted or figure out the exact problem within minutes if you were here!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm admitting defeat and going to request a full RMA I think.

In summary, since receiving the replacement GPU, I have:

- Reset the CMOS
- Removed and reseated the GPU numerous times
- Removed and reseated the RAM numerous times using each stick individually and both combined in all possible combinations
- Connected my DP cable to each of the slots on the GPU
- Connected my GPU using a HDMI cable

The system either crashes during booting up with the white GPU light staying on or boots up properly only for the monitor to lose signal 2 or 3 minutes later.

Last edited:
I personally think its a motherboard issue or psu issue or maybe gpu dont worry or stress over it you have warrenty itll be repaired its easyier saying dont stress I would stress aswell but itll return from rma fully working and issue solved !!!! Let us know what it was its more then likely a hardware fault so nothing more you can do !!!!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I personally think its a motherboard issue or psu issue or maybe gpu dont worry or stress over it you have warrenty itll be repaired its easyier saying dont stress I would stress aswell but itll return from rma fully working and issue solved !!!! Let us know what it was its more then likely a hardware fault so nothing more you can do !!!!
It was a faulty GPU - two dodgy 3080s - what are the chances haha!