Not having much luck this week

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
While I have an enthusiast level of interest in computers, I don't have the knowledge to back it up. I think I'm going to have to hand in my enthusiast card at this rate.

I've had intermittent crashing issues with a RTX 3080 which was RMA'd after seeking advice on here. The replacement card arrived today and after installing it, the PC is booting up maybe every 3rd or 4th attempt. The other times, I'm getting the white and/or yellow Q LEDs come on and stay on, which I'm aware is issues with either the video card or RAM - it's usually the white one though. While installing the card, I connected the anti-static wristband to the wireless antenna port as pretty much the only bare metal part of the case I could find, but it detached as I was clicking the card into place as the side door panel got in the way.

Any thoughts on tests I should run? Other things to check or be aware of?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
While I have an enthusiast level of interest in computers, I don't have the knowledge to back it up. I think I'm going to have to hand in my enthusiast card at this rate.

I've had intermittent crashing issues with a RTX 3080 which was RMA'd after seeking advice on here. The replacement card arrived today and after installing it, the PC is booting up maybe every 3rd or 4th attempt. The other times, I'm getting the white and/or yellow Q LEDs come on and stay on, which I'm aware is issues with either the video card or RAM - it's usually the white one though. While installing the card, I connected the anti-static wristband to the wireless antenna port as pretty much the only bare metal part of the case I could find, but it detached as I was clicking the card into place as the side door panel got in the way.

Any thoughts on tests I should run? Other things to check or be aware of?
Just try clearing the CMOS, sometimes helps after a hardware change.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looking at motherboard schematics, am I right in thinking the battery is behind the GPU? Removing the battery seems to be the easiest way to clear the CMOS?
Yes, sometimes they have an on board button which you push rather than having to take out the battery.

which board have you got?

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Looking at motherboard schematics, am I right in thinking the battery is behind the GPU? Removing the battery seems to be the easiest way to clear the CMOS?

The battery is a CR2032, and looks like this, it will be on the motherboard somewhere, you can't miss it. take out the battery for about 4-5 minutes, then replace. this will reset the CMOS data. Becareful not to get your fingers on the underside of it though when you remove it.

1611179404763.png

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Yes, sometimes they have an on board button which you push rather than having to take out the battery.

which board have you got?
On my 8 year old motherboard it was a plastic jumper you moved from pin 1+2 to 2+3 then back again... Good to hear they have improved this with a button on some boards :)

When it’s the white light does everything still run as normal? I had that a couple of times to start with. Normally from a cold boot but couldn’t figure it out as nothing was showing as wrong.

However after doing all the ram updates in ique software (Corsair) it’s doesn’t come on anymore.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If the RAM LED stays on at all it's well worth running Memtest on your RAM overnight. Flaky RAM causes all sorts of weird problems.....

looking into it a bit more.

the white light staying on but video output is fine seems to be a known bug on the board. Best way to combat it is to turn on the monitor a few seconds before the PC. Asus are aware but don’t nothing about it.

make sure you update your ram in the mean time for the yellow light.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
looking into it a bit more.

the white light staying on but video output is fine seems to be a known bug on the board. Best way to combat it is to turn on the monitor a few seconds before the PC. Asus are aware but don’t nothing about it.

make sure you update your ram in the mean time for the yellow light.
What do you mean by "update your RAM"?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
If you hand in your Enthusiast card at the front desk on your way out, they will be able to provide you with a Provisional "No clue what I'm doing" card ;)
I'll happily take a "No Clue What I'm Doing" card from you. My family look on me as some sort of computing guru as I know how to do antivirus and anti-malware tests and replaced my uncle's hard drive and RAM once when it died. I'm largely just a beginner who knows how to Google things and muddle my way through. I've been fortunate that the last few PCS laptops I've had have never had any problems to show my parents that I don't really have a clue and I'm largely winging it!

Hoping clearing the CMOS as advised last night works when I give it a try this evening. If not, I'll be back here to see what other suggestions crop up.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll happily take a "No Clue What I'm Doing" card from you. My family look on me as some sort of computing guru as I know how to do antivirus and anti-malware tests and replaced my uncle's hard drive and RAM once when it died. I'm largely just a beginner who knows how to Google things and muddle my way through. I've been fortunate that the last few PCS laptops I've had have never had any problems to show my parents that I don't really have a clue and I'm largely winging it!
In the world of the blind the one-eyed man is king.....