Locking up whilst gaming

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
Evening all. My laptop has recently started locking up whilst gaming sometimes the game will freeze (no response from laptop) or screen will go black other times the screen starts flashing and goes off. Then sometimes when I restart it will be black with no response. This all happens within a short time of starting a game. I've just purchased obsidian tools recommended by my friend but when I click dl it downloads but when it comes to installing updates it just sticks on uncompressing download.

Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 120Hz 90% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryOctane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1535 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 4.1
USB/Thunderbolt Options4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 2 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports
Keyboard LanguageOCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
First thing to check is your temps while idle and under load.

If you install HWMonitor and check temps on idle and then when in a game and post the CPU and GPU results.

Have you cleaned it since you bought it?

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
First thing to check is your temps while idle and under load.

If you install HWMonitor and check temps on idle and then when in a game and post the CPU and GPU results.

Have you cleaned it since you bought it?
Hi yes I've been running HW monitor but when I alt tab out of a game to check temps the system locks up. I've regularly took the bottom cover off and blew the dust off. What about repasting. I've built a few desk tops but never looked at taking the heat sink off the gpu, cpu is it quite straight forward? I'm just running pc Mark and 3d Mark now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi yes I've been running HW monitor but when I alt tab out of a game to check temps the system locks up. I've regularly took the bottom cover off and blew the dust off. What about repasting. I've built a few desk tops but never looked at taking the heat sink off the gpu, cpu is it quite straight forward? I'm just running pc Mark and 3d Mark now.
Normally the GPU shouldn't need repasting as it's usually got thermal pads rather than paste which doesn't degrade as quick.

It may be worth repasting the CPU as a starting point then. Laptops are really prone to quick degradation of paste, much quicker than on a desktop. Personally I used to repaste mine once a year but then settled on a carbonite pad rather than paste, it doesn't have the same thermal dissipation as paste, but it doesn't degrade so my temps have remained stable since adding it. For my uses it's perfectly good.

What are the CPU and GPU temps on idle? That should tell us if it's a temperature related issue.

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
Normally the GPU shouldn't need repasting as it's usually got thermal pads rather than paste which doesn't degrade as quick.

It may be worth repasting the CPU as a starting point then. Laptops are really prone to quick degradation of paste, much quicker than on a desktop. Personally I used to repaste mine once a year but then settled on a carbonite pad rather than paste, it doesn't have the same thermal dissipation as paste, but it doesn't degrade so my temps have remained stable since adding it. For my uses it's perfectly good.

What are the CPU and GPU temps on idle? That should tell us if it's a temperature related issue.

Cpu's are idling now between 47-51 noticed max value 100c on two cores.

Gpu is idling at 40c

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cpu's are idling now between 47-51 noticed max value 100c on two cores.

Gpu is idling at 40c
Yeah, CPU needs repasting definitely. Also make sure the fan is activating correctly once you've repasted it.

For paste, if you don't already have some, I'd highly recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, you can get it off amazon or even PCWorld now stock it I think if you've got one near.

GPU will be fine I'm sure. Unless it's an all in one heatsink that covers both CPU and GPU in which case you'd have to repaste both.

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, CPU needs repasting definitely. Also make sure the fan is activating correctly once you've repasted it.

For paste, if you don't already have some, I'd highly recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, you can get it off amazon or even PCWorld now stock it I think if you've got one near.

GPU will be fine I'm sure. Unless it's an all in one heatsink that covers both CPU and GPU in which case you'd have to repaste both.
Thanks m8 I'll order some online just done some more testing it seems the pc isn't locking up its just going black, can still here the game in background when I move around.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks m8 I'll order some online just done some more testing it seems the pc isn't locking up its just going black, can still here the game in background when I move around.
First thing to do is get temps under control, then we'll troubleshoot if that doesn't resolve the black out issue.

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
First thing to do is get temps under control, then we'll troubleshoot if that doesn't resolve the black out issue.
I had some akasa 450 in the loft just used that on gpu. It was a mess hardly any left on the heat sink. Temps dropped by about 10c. But that's not the issue just tried on battery and it works no crashes. But when I plug it in the screen goes black I've checked power saving options and there's nothing in there that's set to switch off the display so I'm assuming maybe a faulty psu or mobo.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had some akasa 450 in the loft just used that on gpu. It was a mess hardly any left on the heat sink. Temps dropped by about 10c. But that's not the issue just tried on battery and it works no crashes. But when I plug it in the screen goes black I've checked power saving options and there's nothing in there that's set to switch off the display so I'm assuming maybe a faulty psu or mobo.
Hmmm, that's does sound perhaps like something power related. I'd log it with PCS I think.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What happens with no battery and just on power?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, did you repaste the CPU?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
IT must be something to do with the graphics card as powermizer forces it to run on medium settings with no crashes. If I run powermizer on high it crashes any ideas I've never over clocked it
It could be either failing gpu or PSU on the motherboard. Either way at this stage I think you need to call PCS as it sounds like a hardware issue.

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
It could be either failing gpu or PSU on the motherboard. Either way at this stage I think you need to call PCS as it sounds like a hardware issue.
My mate just connected via team viewer he could still see my desktop. It came up with display driver stopped working. Gfx card temp only got to 80c on the stress test

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'd suggest running DDU to uninstall the display drivers and reinstalling with the newest, as a first step.