Laptop shutting down under load

• Thread starter Deleted member 94250
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94250

yeah i was confused too.
I dont have any other titles that could push my cpu if i gamed them, but even a realbench stress test never did anything to the thermals- heck the fans sounded softer in realbench than FAH
also, the pcs customer support proposed it being a power draw issue with the mother board. how are those fixed?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Apologies, late to the party with this one. I've briefly read through the subject but there's a LOT to consider. Where are you currently at with your testing? Can you give a brief rundown of the steps and outcomes for clarity?

D

Deleted member 94250

Apologies, late to the party with this one. I've briefly read through the subject but there's a LOT to consider. Where are you currently at with your testing? Can you give a brief rundown of the steps and outcomes for clarity?
Currently DPD has taken the laptop back for the RMA.

Steps and outcomes of what I did in my last test before calling the big bois about it:-
1. Boot up laptop.
2. Open FAH.
3. Start folding.
4. Using HWMonitor check temperatures and CPU usage.
5. See A LOT of 92's, 91's, a 93. Fans are screaming louder than when I game. (You've seen gaming temps). This is when the back of the laptop is propped up so airflow is definite damn good. If it was flat I'm pretty sure I would have seen 100+ degrees C.
6. Laptop cuts power
7. @ubuysa showed a way to get info from PowerShell, when I did that it gives an error message about power to the CPU randomly being cut.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
RMA is definitely the right shout with this one then. That's a 100C minimum shutdown so prior to that there's a power issue. Your previous limitation figures suggest that too.

That should actually be a good sign as the cooling system doesn't appear to be at fault. It should be fairly easy to diagnose a voltage/power problem. Cooling issues are normally far more problematic.

D

Deleted member 94250

RMA is definitely the right shout with this one then. That's a 100C minimum shutdown so prior to that there's a power issue. Your previous limitation figures suggest that too.

That should actually be a good sign as the cooling system doesn't appear to be at fault. It should be fairly easy to diagnose a voltage/power problem. Cooling issues are normally far more problematic.
I see. Thanks.

Any idea why it's FAH that kills it and not stress tests/games?

And what would a voltage solution involve? Undervolting the CPU and that's it?
What if other programmes also cause problems to the system when I use them in future? Would I have to go through all this again?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I can do my fair share of programming but unfortunately the instruction set with FAH is WAY above my head. All I can say is you should be happy you can diagnose the fault with software.

It's going to be down to the instruction set and the utilisation of the CPU/RAM of the software. It's highlighting the limitation/vulnerability.

The simple way of diagnosing the fault is to take the possibilities out of the equation. The RAM will be swapped out, the CPU will be swapped out and if it still remains.... likely the MB. IF that;s not the issue then it's the scoffably unbelievable HDD that's at fault. Rest assured it'll be a relatively easy fix, just an inconvenience for you :)

D

Deleted member 94250

I can do my fair share of programming but unfortunately the instruction set with FAH is WAY above my head. All I can say is you should be happy you can diagnose the fault with software.

It's going to be down to the instruction set and the utilisation of the CPU/RAM of the software. It's highlighting the limitation/vulnerability.

The simple way of diagnosing the fault is to take the possibilities out of the equation. The RAM will be swapped out, the CPU will be swapped out and if it still remains.... likely the MB. IF that;s not the issue then it's the scoffably unbelievable HDD that's at fault. Rest assured it'll be a relatively easy fix, just an inconvenience for you :)
I have an m.2 SSD not an hdd but I got the idea.

Also, how would they go about fixing a motherboard issue? Or is that, like, wayy too technical info.

I'm just curious what they'll do to fix the issue

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Replace it :D

It's usually that simple. Most places don't have the time to get into the details of the components. I wouldn't. Just change it out and send it back!

D

Deleted member 94250

Replace it :D

It's usually that simple. Most places don't have the time to get into the details of the components. I wouldn't. Just change it out and send it back!
Lol that's simple!
I'm just wondering, how would they separate the GPU from it?aren't the two completely soldered together?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
In that case (if they are), they both get replaced at the same time as they are one unit :D

D

Deleted member 94250

In that case (if they are), they both get replaced at the same time as they are one unit :D
Haha good point.
That's a lot of expense for something that should have been noticed in QC tho. I'm certain PCS will make proper notes about it and shall check this issue in future...

They're by far the best at customer support and they've come a hell of a long way from where they were in 2011, So they're doing something right.

Thanks for your input!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Please let us know what the final resolution is. I'd be very interested to see the error messages from PowerShell if you care to (or if you can) share them? (y)

D

Deleted member 94250

Please let us know what the final resolution is. I'd be very interested to see the error messages from PowerShell if you care to (or if you can) share them? (y)
Of course I care my guy.

I shared it once but it gave a short form and you then suggested I enter a weird one that expressed all of the info. Maybe I posted it but then maybe it failed. Sometimes an error message pops up (not the image size one) about my browser console when posting, and if it failed I would have forgotten to do it again

I don't have said laptop with me so I can't share right now, maybe I can ask PCS to do it and share it with me? Would that work?

D

Deleted member 94250

First off, stop worrying there's nothing seriously wrong. :)

Second off the Event ID 41 Kernel Power entry you are most worried about is harmless. It just tells you that Windows wans't shut down properly, that's all. It's got nothing to do with your power supply. :)

It would help if we could see the full text of those ESENT errors though. Could you issue all the commands again for the same date and times but modify the last one to look like this....

PS C:\Windows\System32> Get-EventLog Application -After $start -Before $end -EntryType error | Select-Object -Property Index, EntryType, TimeWritten, InstanceId, Message

The second part of this command (it's actually two command piped together with the pipe character (|) and not an upper case i) will format the output slightly differently so we can see the full text.

ESENT (Extensible Storage Engine) is a database that's used by several components of Windows (including File Explorer and Search). ESENT error 455 generally occurs because a database folder that ESENT was trying to access doesn't exist. The extended (piped) commands above will display the full text of the error message and identify the folder that's missing. I'll then show you how to create that folder. This was a common problem with Windows version 1903.

All that said, these ESENT errors should not have caused your system to restart they way you're describing, so a couple more questions...

1. What version of Windows 10 are you running? Open the Run box and enter the command winver to see.

2. Have you upgraded to this version of Windows 10 from an earlier version (say from 1809 to 1903 for example)?
@ubuysa here is what you suggested I do, but it didn't work. I'd said why when I post it failed

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No worries, I was just interested for my own education. For me it's not enough for something to be fixed, I want to know why it failed and how it failed so that I can recognise the symptoms next time. :)

Now that it's with PCS it will get fixed. :)

D

Deleted member 94250

No worries, I was just interested for my own education. For me it's not enough for something to be fixed, I want to know why it failed and how it failed so that I can recognise the symptoms next time. :)

Now that it's with PCS it will get fixed. :)
Hi there.
So here is what they said:-
"this is a brief status update for your RMA (****). Our aim is to keep you informed as much as possible throughout the RMA process. New notes have been added to your RMA as follows:

After a closer inspection of the system, we are confident that we have been able to isolate the fault to the system's CPU, which is part of the motherboard. To resolve this, we have replaced the motherboard. The system will now be placed on an overnight system-wide stress test. Providing all tests are passed, the system will be prepared for dispatch tomorrow. Thank you for your time. Kind regards.

Unless we have requested further information or provided instructions you do not need to take any action at present, we will return your computer to you as soon as possible."