Ionico 17 review

williamrichier352

PicsArt_04-05-02.04.08.jpg

williamrichier352

it is not the first time that I do it, I tried 3 times from 1 to 8 then from 8 to 1 nothing changes the radiator does not touch the liquid metal ...

barlew

Godlike
it is not the first time that I do it, I tried 3 times from 1 to 8 then from 8 to 1 nothing changes the radiator does not touch the liquid metal ...
When you took the heat sync off to apply the liquid metal did you notice whether or not the PCS thermal compound had made good contact with the IHS?

williamrichier352

yes I replaced the liquid metal with cryonaut I think the thermal paste is thicker than the liquid metal so strangely it affects IHS, I think there is a space of a few millimeters between the radiator and the DIE c ' is why the 10875h heats up on this chassis it must not be 100% in contact with the radiator ...

sorry for my english

Macco26

Expert
Probably this heatspreader (you call it radiator) wasn't thought for the LM. Infact it does not come with it if I am not mistaken.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When correctly fitted the cooler should make contact with the IHS whether there is thermal paste applied or not.
On CPU, absolutely, not necessarily on GPU as they would normally have thermal pads rather than thermal paste which are a lot thicker.

barlew

Godlike
On CPU, absolutely, not necessarily on GPU as they would normally have thermal pads rather than thermal paste which are a lot thicker.
That's interesting. On all the laptops I've owned I have never had thermal pads on the GPU it's always been paste.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's interesting. On all the laptops I've owned I have never had thermal pads on the GPU it's always been paste.
Really? I’ve never had paste on a gpu. Maybe they’ve changed things with modern laptops. Desktop GPU’s still use thermal pads, just assumed the same would still be true for laptops.

Thing with paste is it leaks eventually out the sides and you have to reapply. Thermal pads don’t degrade in the same way. On a gpu, they’re not intended to be repasted and don’t reach the high temps that a cpu does, thermal pads offer as good performance given the lower thermal ceiling and should last the lifetime of the build.

You can always tell if it’s a thermal pad as you’ll need to apply quite a bit of pressure to “unstick” the heatsink.

Then again, I’ve always had laptops with separate gpu and cpu cooling lanes, perhaps the ones where they’re combined they just use paste as if reapplying the cpu you’ll have to do the gpu as well.

But on any gpu with thermal pads, there will usually be about .5 - 1mm clearance to accommodate the thermal pad.

barlew

Godlike
Really? I’ve never had paste on a gpu. Maybe they’ve changed things with modern laptops. Desktop GPU’s still use thermal pads, just assumed the same would still be true for laptops.

Thing with paste is it leaks eventually out the sides and you have to reapply. Thermal pads don’t degrade in the same way. On a gpu, they’re not intended to be repasted and don’t reach the high temps that a cpu does, thermal pads offer as good performance given the lower thermal ceiling and should last the lifetime of the build.

You can always tell if it’s a thermal pad as you’ll need to apply quite a bit of pressure to “unstick” the heatsink.

Then again, I’ve always had laptops with separate gpu and cpu cooling lanes, perhaps the ones where they’re combined they just use paste as if reapplying the cpu you’ll have to do the gpu as well.

But on any gpu with thermal pads, there will usually be about .5 - 1mm clearance to accommodate the thermal pad.
Yes so I knew they were used in desktop GPU's but have never seen them on a laptop GPU hence my initial comment.

That being said every laptop I've taken apart has had a combined CPU/GPU cooler. Presumably if they used pads on the GPU they would have to be replaced every time the cooler was removed to repaste the CPU?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes so I knew they were used in desktop GPU's but have never seen them on a laptop GPU hence my initial comment.

That being said every laptop I've taken apart has had a combined CPU/GPU cooler. Presumably if they used pads on the GPU they would have to be replaced every time the cooler was removed to repaste the CPU?
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, would make sense as thermal pads are definitely more expensive than paste plus a pain to clean off, compared to just wiping away paste.

barlew

Godlike
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, would make sense as thermal pads are definitely more expensive than paste plus a pain to clean off, compared to just wiping away paste.
That would make sense.

Getting back on topic either that cooler is not being correctly fitted or there is something wrong with it.

Also on a side note I would not be putting liquid metal in a laptop unless it was specifically designed for it. But that's a personal opinion.

williamrichier352

I just gave cryonaut instead of liquid metal,
I then installed the IHS and then removed I can confirm that there is indeed a micro space in the cpu and the ihs because of the thermal pad so I transferred all the pads on the cpu side to install liquid metal and now the 2 have the touch perfectly I gained almost 20 ° c. the cpu no longer exceeds 71 °,
I put liquid metal because I find that the radiator on the cpu side and well designed for I just wonder what material it is and made if anyone has an idea it does not look like aluminum?

barlew

Godlike
I just gave cryonaut instead of liquid metal,
I then installed the IHS and then removed I can confirm that there is indeed a micro space in the cpu and the ihs because of the thermal pad so I transferred all the pads on the cpu side to install liquid metal and now the 2 have the touch perfectly I gained almost 20 ° c. the cpu no longer exceeds 71 °,
I put liquid metal because I find that the radiator on the cpu side and well designed for I just wonder what material it is and made if anyone has an idea it does not look like aluminum?
I am mega confused here. What do you mean by you transfered thermal pads? I hope you don't mean you removed any of the thermal pads shown in your previous picture? They are providing heat dissipation to other chips on your motherboard not your CPU...

williamrichier352

despite the temperature gain I still can't get the Macco score on 3dmark time spy I am in MUX activate and I got the score 9999 3 times on 3dmark time spy I feel like I'm being restricted yet in games it gets similar or even higher score than rtx 3080 laptop ... i think my 3dmark bug.

Macco26

Expert
All depends on the environment conditions. Myself can't get the same score at different days, maybe ambient temperature different, or such.
Are you using the 2666 or 2933 Mhz memory settings? I pushed mine at 2933 with the provided data of another fellow Ionico user. Might be the reason?

williamrichier352

yes I have 32go 3200mhz bar it automatically puts it in 2933 besides I made the modifications that you had recommended to me I have a small improvement but as I said on 3dmark the score does not exceed 10000point it does not is not serious tempi.
on the other hand I am curious to know how much you managed to lower the offset vcore?

I did -101 mv vcore
-80 vcore cache

above my ionico is blue screen ..