Installed some more RAM Windows loading really slowly

Hi I just added some new RAM which I know is working as it should as its showing up in the system.

However, windows boots really really slowly...

What do I need to do?

Many thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is the new RAM exactly the same spec (voltages, timings, etc.) as the existing RAM? Mismatched RAM can cause all sorts of problems....

I have managed to play games and things to test it so I know it works, but Windows must be angry at something.

I also tested the original single ram stick in the same slot and had the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I also tested the original single ram stick in the same slot and had the same problem.
You're saying that Windows still 'boots slowly' when you have only the original RAM stick in the original slot?

How is it once it's booted? Does it run normally?

One possibility that occurs is that adding new hardware may have caused the BIOS to apply the maximal POST tests, that can take a long time. I guess it's possible that is still set? Check in your BIOS setup at what POST testing level is set...

You're saying that Windows still 'boots slowly' when you have only the original RAM stick in the original slot?

How is it once it's booted? Does it run normally?

One possibility that occurs is that adding new hardware may have caused the BIOS to apply the maximal POST tests, that can take a long time. I guess it's possible that is still set? Check in your BIOS setup at what POST testing level is set...

Yes and it runs okay once I’ve managed to enter my password, but each time it asks me to set a code which I used to have as my main login method. Games and programs run fine although ge force experience isn’t working at the moment,but that’s probably a separate issue.

How do I find the POST setting?

My boot order starts with windows boot manager off the SSD. Don’t know if that’s relevant?

I did wonder if updating the bios would do anything, but I don’t know how to do that....

Thank you

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Don't update the BIOS "on the offchance it might help". There was nothing wrong with the PC before, right? So a new BIOS version shouldn't be necessary.

Best not to twiddle with too many variables

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No, don't update the BIOS, that's not what I suggested. I was suggesting that perhaps the power on self test (POST) feature is set to do the maximum tests. What testing is done at POST is in the BIOS setup.

How long does it take to boot? Can you video the boot process and post it here?

via Tapatalk

No, don't update the BIOS, that's not what I suggested. I was suggesting that perhaps the power on self test (POST) feature is set to do the maximum tests. What testing is done at POST is in the BIOS setup.

How long does it take to boot? Can you video the boot process and post it here?

via Tapatalk

Ok thanks for your advice. I managed to solve the problem. Your suggestion to video the boot process made me think through what was actually happening --- I realised (which I will find hard to explain here in text) that windows was loading fine and fast, but the login screen was just working really slowly. So I looked deep into what might have happened recently with Windows and found a fix.

Basically (I think) the most recent windows update didn't work properly and coincided exactly at the time I put in the new RAM. Basically it was bad luck. All working fine now.

I ran a fix in cmd prompt for corrupted windows files and it self repaired.

Key lesson for me today - never assume you know the cause of the problem!

Thanks for your help as your suggestions kind of got me there...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok thanks for your advice. I managed to solve the problem. Your suggestion to video the boot process made me think through what was actually happening --- I realised (which I will find hard to explain here in text) that windows was loading fine and fast, but the login screen was just working really slowly. So I looked deep into what might have happened recently with Windows and found a fix.

Basically (I think) the most recent windows update didn't work properly and coincided exactly at the time I put in the new RAM. Basically it was bad luck. All working fine now.

I ran a fix in cmd prompt for corrupted windows files and it self repaired.

Key lesson for me today - never assume you know the cause of the problem!

Thanks for your help as your suggestions kind of got me there...
I'm glad you go it sorted. sfc /scannow (I assume that's what you ran) is an excellent place to start for funny issues like that.

It does seem as though you had a problem at the same time as installing new RAM. For the benefit of others reading this, it's vanishingly rare to have two problems happen at the same time. It's also very wise to suspect what you just changed before suspecting anything else. So chasing down the RAM was the right call. Once that was eliminated running sfc /scannow was an excellent next step. :)