Indie game recommendations

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I've got two games to recommend at the moment, they're both a bit older so it's possible they've already been played by those interested in the genre, but for fans of horror-inspired 2.5D platformers both of Playdead's games, Limbo & Inside, are must play games. They're both kinda brutal (Inside is especially bloody) and you will die a lot, but they're both satisfying when you manage to figure out a puzzle and not die!

Limbo is £6.99 on Steam and Inside is £14.99 on Steam or there is a Steam bundle to get both for a little under £20.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I've got two games to recommend at the moment, they're both a bit older so it's possible they've already been played by those interested in the genre, but for fans of horror-inspired 2.5D platformers both of Playdead's games, Limbo & Inside, are must play games. They're both kinda brutal (Inside is especially bloody) and you will die a lot, but they're both satisfying when you manage to figure out a puzzle and not die!

Limbo is £6.99 on Steam and Inside is £14.99 on Steam or there is a Steam bundle to get both for a little under £20.

I love both these games, they’re so atmospheric and leave you to interpret the story in your own way.

Totally agree with your recommendation. Note to prospective buyers, you may want to avoid Limbo if you have a fear of spiders...

EB2C7C6F-9008-457F-85EC-1947363837FD.jpeg

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I love both these games, they’re so atmospheric and leave you to interpret the story in your own way.

Totally agree with your recommendation. Note to prospective buyers, you may want to avoid Limbo if you have a fear of spiders...

View attachment 26852
I played Limbo when it first came out, but only started playing Inside recently and finished it today so figured I'd throw it out as a recommendation.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
A bit of a niche recommendation, but I did say I would be recommending indie games, so niche suggestions should be expected from time to time. I got Alba: A Wildlife Adventure a month or so back and decided to start playing it today. It's a casual adventure game where you play as a young girl exploring an island and photographing various animals that can be found there. The theme of conservation and protecting animals runs through the story, but as a game aimed at all ages, I wouldn't say it was particularly heavy-handed. The graphics are charming, and the sound and music is very relaxing. I finished the game in maybe 4 hours today, so it's probably worth getting on sale (currently £9.44 down from £13.49), as the full price is perhaps a little steep for a short game.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I’d like to give a shout out to Return of the Obra Dinn. Created by Lucas Pope, who also did the excellent Papers Please. It’s a puzzler/deduction game with a unique art style. Not for everyone but it was exactly the game I needed to mix things up after playing Black Mesa (not sure if it counts as indie but definitely worth a mention)
Return of the Obra Dinn is very much in my backlog - I've got a few deduction/detective-type games installed at the moment, so once I've got through a couple of those, I'll see about giving it a go. It looks good!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Don't know if it still falls under the indie but The Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain 1 & 2 are absolutely amazing games if seed generated maps & dungeon crawling is your style. :)
Phenomenal choices and yes they are the definition of Indie games.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Don't know if it still falls under the indie but The Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain 1 & 2 are absolutely amazing games if seed generated maps & dungeon crawling is your style. :)
These are the kinds of games I started the thread for - there will be plenty of games out there that people may or may not know about, and this is just a way of spreading their existence to others who may fancy something a bit different.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Party Hard is a fun serial killer puzzle game, I've played both Party Hard 1 & 2 and enjoyed them both

Also The Room games are fantastic puzzle games I believe created by one guy which is impressive. Also thoroughly enjoy my experience playing them, usually very short but very cheap one sitting play through games.

These are just games I've played recently off the top of my head

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Have completed a few games recently, and not fully sucked into new ones, so figured I'd throw out one game I keep coming back to - Hades!

It won so many awards since its release last year and deserved them all and more - absolutely incredible game!

D

Deleted member 41971

Have completed a few games recently, and not fully sucked into new ones, so figured I'd throw out one game I keep coming back to - Hades!

It won so many awards since its release last year and deserved them all and more - absolutely incredible game!

great game, love playing it,

extra £3 and you can get the soundtrack with the game

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If i may, the fact that the bundle of the 4 games plus all the OST of supergiant game is at -66% is an offer you can't forget :D (unless you already have the previous 3 :D)

and for me, the game that mark (is this the right word ?) the most is Transistor
and the OST of this game still move me so much ;)

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
While i'm a it, i would like to recommend this game

I think i consider it as one of my favorite game of all time.
It's a beautifull one, good story, good art direction and good soundtrack

and the replayness (ok, this may be not the right word this time ? :D) is not so bad

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Lost Words: Beyond the Page is an atmospheric narrative adventure written by Rhianna Pratchett, Terry Pratchett's daughter, and is a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer. It only takes a few hours to complete, but is well worth a go as it's put together beautifully.

With barely 100 reviews on Steam, it's very much an overlooked indie game.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It’s not even out until next year but I’ve just happened across this one. I think it merits a mention as one to keep an eye on as it’s essentially Max Payne with werewolves and vampires… and surely that can only be a good thing, right?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It’s not even out until next year but I’ve just happened across this one. I think it merits a mention as one to keep an eye on as it’s essentially Max Payne with werewolves and vampires… and surely that can only be a good thing, right?

That could be incredible if they get it right!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

This looks really cool!

D

Deleted member 41971

a cool little indie game on sale until tues 27th July 2021, was 6.99 now 1.74

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
a cool little indie game on sale until tues 27th July 2021, was 6.99 now 1.74

I've put 40-odd hours into that game - it's a fun game in short bursts. The reason it's on sale is because a sequel to the game has been released Mini Motorways, which is also enjoyable when you've only got a spare 5/10 minutes.