Harddrive stopped working

AnthonyFK

Hey all,

I got a 1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 last year and added it into the laptop myself, its worked fine up till yesterday where now the laptop cant find it,

It can find the c:/
and when i open file explorer i can see it but it has a blue question mark on it and if i right click it gives me no useful information or actions.

I have opened it up and check its still connected, it is.

But thats as far as my knowledge goes. Any help?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey all,

I got a 1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 last year and added it into the laptop myself, its worked fine up till yesterday where now the laptop cant find it,

It can find the c:/
and when i open file explorer i can see it but it has a blue question mark on it and if i right click it gives me no useful information or actions.

I have opened it up and check its still connected, it is.

But thats as far as my knowledge goes. Any help?
Is this a PCS laptop? Can you post your full specs?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As above re posting the specs, but what does the Disk Management tool show regarding the drive?

To access the Disk Management tool, right click on the Start icon and select Disk Management from the popup menu.

AnthonyFK

Chassis & DisplayCosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 8300H (2.3GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)4GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 4GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive120GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 320MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 90W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryCosmos VII Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguageSINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Disk Management doesnt seem to show it only the c:/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So the above is your current specs? It doesn't list the 1tb, where is that? Is that a secondary drive or did it replace the primary?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open the laptop and ensure the HDD is properly seated. It's not impossible a bump or jolt has caused it to come unplugged. On some laptop models only the drive cover actually holds them in place.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Open the laptop and ensure the HDD is properly seated. It's not impossible a bump or jolt has caused it to come unplugged. On some laptop models only the drive cover actually holds them in place.
The OP does mention that he’s checked the physical connection.

it does sound like the drive has failed. If you bought it through PCS I’d contact them, if not then you may have to contact the manufacturer, but either way the drive will be under warranty and they’ll probably just replace it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The acid test then would be to mount it in a caddy and see whether it's readable as a USB attached drive.