Gaming Chair

ThomasW

Bronze Level Poster
Hope this is the right section, but just wondering what people's recommendations are for gaming chairs.

I would be looking at something with neck and lower back support.

Would be looking at a budget at €100-€200

Citrus_9

Expert
Hope this is the right section, but just wondering what people's recommendations are for gaming chairs.

I would be looking at something with neck and lower back support.

Would be looking at a budget at €100-€200
For best neck and shoulder support is... an ergonomic office chair! Gaming chairs are expensive and definitely not designed to support a good sitting position.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
GN (who I am growing to love even more - in quite unhealthy ways lately) did a piece on them at the end of last year. Despite the title of the video they concede some may want to buy a 'Gaming Chair' for legitimate reasons (which they cover at the end of the typicaly long video). Worth a watch before you spend decent money on one at least....

ThomasW

Bronze Level Poster
I suppose I worded it wrong tbh.
Honestly I just our gaming chair cause it’s easy to title it. But realistically I’m looking at any sort of chair gaming or office etc,

Citrus_9

Expert
I suppose I worded it wrong tbh.
Honestly I just our gaming chair cause it’s easy to title it. But realistically I’m looking at any sort of chair gaming or office etc,
I guess we all are looking for the best chair. The problem is one chair for some is perfect while for others same chair is too wide or too narrow which makes a drastic impact to the sitting posture. If you're lucky, you'll get it on your first attempt, but that's not usual. It's like with a PC mouse, but harder. I've already changed a few of them and still not entirely happy.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I guess we all are looking for the best chair. The problem is one chair for some is perfect while for others same chair is too wide or too narrow which makes a drastic impact to the sitting posture. If you're lucky, you'll get it on your first attempt, but that's not usual. It's like with a PC mouse, but harder. I've already changed a few of them and still not entirely happy.
That sounds like a great synopsis really @Citrus_9

The ideal scenario is to physically try out some chairs before you buy, however the current climate makes that pretty hard. If you have some specific requirement for support in a particular area - lower lumbar - upper back - forearms - etc - then focusing on a good range of adjustability in that specific area on a chair is a good start I would think.....

And if it has wheels, make sure you can lock them if you play driving games or every time you brake you go....

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The added issue is that spending an hour trying out 100 different chairs won't necessarily give you a good idea on what's going to remain comfortable for 8-20 hour work/game sessions, or how the chair will 'evolve' once you've put a couple of hundred hours on it (it's a bit like buying a new mattress - or a proper racing bucket seat for a track car).

I only went for my (admittedly expensive, and not what the OP is looking for) Herman Miller Mirra 2 Butterfly because it's what we have in the office...and I've spent thousands of hours in them over the last 5 years or so (or since whenever they swapped from Aerons). I assume they got a better deal than me when they bought 3500 of them ;)

These are my 'driving seats'...

herman-miller-mirra-2-urban-orange-p1204-15622_image.jpg

Recaro-Pole-Position-ABE-Ambla-Leather-Beige-Dinamica-Suede.jpg

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The added issue is that spending an hour trying out 100 different chairs won't necessarily give you a good idea on what's going to remain comfortable for 8-20 hour work/game sessions, or how the chair will 'evolve' once you've put a couple of hundred hours on it (it's a bit like buying a new mattress).
True - but it would still be better than buying blind. And also why adjustability is a key feature I would personally look for.

The secret lab omega is a fantastic chair I have lower back pain and this chair has been a godsend was abit put of the fact its classed as your typical gaming chair but very suprised by the back support it offers tho ironically the base unit is very heavy when putting it together

CMP01

Enthusiast
The secret lab omega is a fantastic chair I have lower back pain and this chair has been a godsend was abit put of the fact its classed as your typical gaming chair but very suprised by the back support it offers

Same here on both counts. Secret Labs Omega chair and bad back (actual ankylosing spondylitis even)
Overall very good, when previous tries of various office-y style chairs didn't work out, better than I might have expected tbh given all the advertising for better chairs at 2-3 times the price (Herman Miller aso)
I can sit in it comfortably enough for a few hours if need be (quite unlike my last, a deeper, softer recliner) with the odd stretch break. The solid firmness of the seat with only an inch or two of give and multiple points of adjustment allow me to find a sweet spot to fit different situations and change position/posture to help prevent more pain and stiffness quickly. Well worth the money.

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
I’ve spent 12 years plus working on £150-£200 office chairs. Today my Herman Miller Logitech Embody arrived, whilst it’s over budget for many, the difference is night and day. I’m a fairly heavy chap, but the chair makes me feel supported and weightless. My back is also well supported. Definitely don’t bother looking at £150-£200 gaming chairs that look like bucket seats, they don’t provide support, and you’re not being subjected to cornering speed or braking forces that a bucket seat equipped vehicle likely produces!

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
Secret labs are the best of the gaming chairs, Herman Miller one aside. They are pricey but so worth it.
Are they nice to relax the head/neck on? I've been eyeing a secretlab, just want to ensure the head support is good as that seems to be where I'm hit first.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Are they nice to relax the head/neck on? I've been eyeing a secretlab, just want to ensure the head support is good as that seems to be where I'm hit first.

Not too bad tbh. They come with a little head/neck rest memory foam cushion with an adjustable strap. Does the job ok with my spinal issues and at least fits the chair unlike some and can be shifted one handed for comfort quickly.

In case you're wondering, for lower down, my model (Omega) comes with a memory foam lumbar cushion, also not bad, but the larger Titan chairs have an integrated adjustable lumbar support that might be better. The Omega is also more like a bucket seat with higher side panels and made for shorter/lighter ppl, while the Titans have a flatter/wider seat profile.

PokerFace

Banned
The secret lab omega is a fantastic chair I have lower back pain and this chair has been a godsend was abit put of the fact its classed as your typical gaming chair but very suprised by the back support it offers tho ironically the base unit is very heavy when putting it together
I've has a Secret Lab Titan for a few months now. I don't know if it's my bony arse, but I find the seat quite/very hard. I've gotten more used to it over time, but the first week or so I was not at all comfortable.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I've has a Secret Lab Titan for a few months now. I don't know if it's my bony arse, but I find the seat quite/very hard. I've gotten more used to it over time, but the first week or so I was not at all comfortable.

Yeah, mines a bit easier on the posterior now than it was new (got it in March) Probably needed breaking in a little like shoes do.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah, mines a bit easier on the posterior now than it was new (got it in March) Probably needed breaking in a little like shoes do.
You should have asked me to come round and help, I've put on about a stone since this whole pandemic malarkey.